DVDVR Message Board

October 2014 NHL Thread - The Quest for Lord Stanley's Cup Begins

evilwaldo

So the Oilers 84 cup team 30-year reunion. Gretzky's here, Messier, Coffey, Fuhr, the works. They did also invite ex-owner Peter Pocklington. These are the quotes we've got off him so far today:

Pocklington on reax by EDM fans: "“I don’t really give a damn about what some of the unwashed have to say. Someday they’ll grow up.”

Pocklington on hallowed Rexall Place: "I think Northlands was a piece of crap, quite frankly."

Deep thought from Peter Pocklington (possibly apocryphal) "If you're not cheating, you're only cheating yourself."

Re: Pocklington

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I tried, man.

Leafs/Montreal was pretty fun.

That LA ceremony was longer than Muhammad Ali's last comeback, but I mean hey who am I to complain from 8 years removed from a fucking playoff series you know?

The new ref helmet cam is goofy but in a really entertaining way. It's a little bit Blair Witch but it's also much better than the Goalie Ass Cam angle for certain things for sure.

Also, Referee Arm is begging for a mashup with DOOM. Use this:

Well fuck you to San Jose and LA for not scoring any more goals. One game away from a Sport Select victory on opening night. Buncha shitbums.

Winnipeg Jets march to the Cup starts tonight in Glendale. Poor Coyotes might be the road team in their home building tonight.

I'm sorry but the NHL putting Chris Pronger on their payroll while they continue to allow Philadelphia to also pay him and keep him on fake long-term-injured-reserve so they can circumvent the salary cap by $5 million a year is unbelievably bush league.

If I was New Jersey I'd make a lot of noise over this. A lot of noise. How is anything to do with the Kovalchuk fiasco worse than this?

• Like 1

I'm sorry but the NHL putting Chris Pronger on their payroll while they continue to allow Philadelphia to also pay him and keep him on fake long-term-injured-reserve so they can circumvent the salary cap by $5 million a year is unbelievably bush league.

If I was New Jersey I'd make a lot of noise over this. A lot of noise. How is anything to do with the Kovalchuk fiasco worse than this?

Yeah seriously, the NHL should let him off the Flyers cap.  The Devils got the contract voided and a draft pick back, albeit late.  The Flyers still have the cap hit.

The Flyers would gain nothing from this since they are using the overage.  They would not gain $4.5 million in cap space.  The overage would just be absorbed by the cap space gained by the voided contract.

From twitter

Tough night for Flyers' D Luke Schenn, who's been on ice for all five NJD goals and is minus-5. Was -1 last night in 2-1 loss.

I would not be surprised to see him pushed down to the AHL soon.  He has been awful.

Then again, he is playing with Del Zotto who may be the fastest guy on the ice for the Flyers.  Guys are not used to playing with his speed.

Panthers just lost in overtime by giving up a breakaway goal on the power play to Victor Hedman due to one of the worst line changes in the history of organized hockey. Hedman looked like the bastard child of Paul Coffey and Paul Kariya on the goal, cause Panthers.

So you'll never guess which fanbase is ready to overreact to a bad game 1 after having seen this story one too many times now.

Honestly, other than the first 5 minutes I thought the Oilers were fine tonight. Just got themselves in a hole and once you're there stuff can happen. Please come down off the ledge, crazy fans. Totally dominated most of the first, and all of the second. It just didn't quite come together for the third goal when the Oilers needed it. There was still quite a bit good to take away before the third Calgary goal.

Islanders gave me two free tickets to a Barclays Center event of my choosing. I chose to go see Judas Priest last night, so I think we have a new Greatest Season Ticket Holder Gift EVER!!!

• Like 2

Took one of those online quizzes and apparently I'm 100% Canadian. Can I use this in place of a passport to enter the country? I can get Don Cherry to vouch for me if that helps.