DVDVR Message Board

WWE Raw 10-6-14

MGFanJay

I'm pumped that Ambrose is no Austin. The company doesn't need another Austin. They need new shit, like Ambrose and Daniel Bryan, Lana and Rusev and Wyatt.

I sort of wish the 'Ambrose bails' promo had happened at the beginning of the show and they had just kept a camera with Ambrose on the subway so he could deliver crazy ranting promos. Seriously I would have rather watched Ambrose pushing that hot dog cart through the city while ranting crazy shit talk then most of what happened on the show.

Also, the day that Lana shouts RUSEV, CRUSH at a top heel and turns the act face is the day the fucking arena blows up.

"New shit" like Rusev? Just because he's got a hot chick, who is somewhat witty, talking for him, doesn't make anything about him new or innovative. He's page 3 of the classic VKM playbook.

Do you mean Vince McMahon or Voodoo Kin Mafia?

• Like 2

Raw is now drawing ratings on par with, and below, what WCW Nitro from 2000 was doing. Nitro, which was at its lowest point ever and was also competing with Raw AND Monday Night Football at the time.

How sad is that.

That doesn't mean they had the same amount of viewers so it isn't sad at all. That is part of what makes people still caring about ratings so ridiculous. The other being the Monday night wars have been over for 13 years. Most places you go that archive wrestling ratings don't even bother with including the share. So the numbers are completely useless. You need the share and estimated number of households with televisions to put the numbers into context. A 2.0 rating today could mean 3.5 million viewers. 15 years ago a 2.0 could have meant 3.0 millions viewers. Even now a 2.0 can mean a different amount of viewers week to week.

The thing is it's not the Year 2000 and there's lots of ways to catch up on what happened on RAW, not least all the other WWE programmes which will show the important bits. I think we all know at this point that WWE is overexposed with way too much programming, not least the weekly 3 hour leviathan. The fact that Brock Lesnar has disappeared is a problem, Daniel Bryan and CM Punk being off the show probably isn't helping. There's no one cause, but the ratings for one show in one market aren't nearly as important as the global success of the Network and merch sales.

Hear me out:

What if they went taped Raw, live Tuesday SmackDown on the Network (with the re-air on SyFy) during football season? They could just tape Raw on Saturday or Sunday, and either run the weekend house show on Monday instead, or give the crew an extra day of travel for Smackdown.

Now you have another live, "exclusive" event on the Network, which is obviously an incentive, and it makes that show somewhat more important. Heck, run a title change or something on the first Network edition just to hammer that point home.

I'm sure there's language in the TV contract that would prohibit something as cool as that from happening, but it would certainly be a way to combat the post Summerslam/Pre-Rumble doldrums every year. (Sadly, even I can't pretend Survivor Series matters anymore. It's a different time, I guess.)

Even though it was completely obvious, Ambrose standing next to Rollins in the crowd was pretty fucking money. The whole hot dog/ketchup/whatever shit I could probably do without.

The Rock really put Rusev over, in my opinion. The WWE relly must have plans for that dude.

Raw is now drawing ratings on par with, and below, what WCW Nitro from 2000 was doing. Nitro, which was at its lowest point ever and was also competing with Raw AND Monday Night Football at the time.

How sad is that.

That doesn't mean they had the same amount of viewers so it isn't sad at all. That is part of what makes people still caring about ratings so ridiculous. The other being the Monday night wars have been over for 13 years. Most places you go that archive wrestling ratings don't even bother with including the share. So the numbers are completely useless. You need the share and estimated number of households with televisions to put the numbers into context. A 2.0 rating today could mean 3.5 million viewers. 15 years ago a 2.0 could have meant 3.0 millions viewers. Even now a 2.0 can mean a different amount of viewers week to week.

Good points, although it would be good to compare the viewership numbers. I doubt they're doing much more than nitro was back then.

Does it help that Lana is an actual actress? Yes, she's not out here winning Academy Awards but that kind of professional experience has to be one of the main reasons she is so far and above the other divas and most men. Wait until her face turn when she starts breakdancing on your ass, bitches.

Amrbose is still missing his beer truck/zamboni moment. Ambrose rolling into the arena driving a sanitation truck and spraying down Kane, Rollins, Orton, tossing HHH 'in with the rest of the trash', and standing triumphant on top of the truck with raised fists in the air will make Dean Ambrose 100-million % a star. WWE alread has money with the guy, but if they do that- give him a cool look shirt and watch the money just roll in.

I think it's clear Dean Ambrose will appeal to the internet fans, and Roman Reigns to the more casual type of fans. Roman has potential to be a huge mainstream star as well, although he lacks the charisma of the major players in WWE history. But in their own way, both are really good news for WWE and it's sad how some people don't see that fact when it comes to Reigns. I can see Seth playing that Triple H role too, working with the guys that make the money.

I think it's clear Dean Ambrose will appeal to the internet fans, and Roman Reigns to the more casual type of fans. Roman has potential to be a huge mainstream star as well, although he lacks the charisma of the major players in WWE history. But in their own way, both are really good news for WWE and it's sad how some people don't see that fact when it comes to Reigns. I can see Seth playing that Triple H role too, working with the guys that make the money.

And so when Triple H and Stephanie step down from running WWE, they hand it off to Seth Rollins. And Seth Rollins gets CM Punk to pull a Bruno and let go of his heat with the company enough to go into the Hall of Fame?

I think we really need to retire the internet fans vs. casual fans thing. It's 2014, almost everyone has internet access. Ambrose gets reactions from everyone, not just some isolated portion of the audience.

• Like 3

Yeah, I'd vouch for that. Just like you can be a fan of a musical act, but just buy what is commercially available and maybe go to the concert if tickets are available/affordable. Or you can search the internet for unreleased tracks, know of all the concert dates and threaten to kill anyone who thinks lesser of said musical acts.

Casual fans are people who don't read the WO, don't read forums, watch RAW (and maybe SmackDown) and that's it. 

The hardcore vs. casual divide is present in almost every single form of media.

Agree with this definition for the most part. A friend of mine that is friends with every fake wrestler page on facebook is a good example of a casual fan on the internet.