DVDVR Message Board

Twin Peaks is coming back on Showtime in 2016.

Reed

I tried. I really did. I watched 5 episodes of Twin Peaks a few weeks ago and I couldn't get myself to care about any of the characters or their problems. I felt it was all contrived and cliche. Twin Peaks stands beside Full House as two shows I see no idea why they are bringing back. Yes, I understand both were popular but overall- I found both completely uninteresting and overly cliched. Is this a reboot? So it is going to be a while new cast of character trying to solve Laura's murder or is this going to be a new team investigating a new mystery and they just happen to be in Twin Peaks?

Everything I am reading is that is a continuation but not really a "season three."  Mark Frost said there will be familiar faces and new faces.  He said if you pay attention questions from the first two seasons will be answered.  So take it for what it is.  

I watched Twin Peaks when it was first on, and then again about ten years ago when it was on the Sci-Fi channel (which was still called that then). Making a massive chess piece to not hide a body in creeped me out the first time I saw it... seemed like a lot of unnecessary effort in the re-watch. Probably says more about me than the show though.

I ended up watching Fire Walk With Me again to help me catch up.

Man, it's amazing how good an actress Sheryl Lee emerged as considering she was basically just cast initially by Lynch to be a corpse. OK, so she looks about 29 (which goes for most of the "teenagers" on this show), but she's so terrific here. Probably up there with Naomi Watts in Mulholland Drive as one of the best Lynch-directed performances ever.

Guess she belongs in "Why weren't you more famous after this?" pile along with Fenn, MacLachlan, etc.

• Like 1

Anyway, some things the movie touches on that I guess the mini series will expand on:

-The ring that apparently stops BOB being able to possess someone.

-Laura writing in her diary about Dale being trapped in the lodge and evil Dale being on the loose

-Dale still being able to communicate with people through dreams and visions while in the lodge

Does anyone else who loved the show (or at least the first season) mostly dislike Fire Walk With Me? I know it was seen as a blessing by most fans after the overly campy direction the second season went, but I personally prefer the more reserved approach the show originally took with the objectionable content. I always thought what was covered in FWWM was there in the original run as the subtext, and part of what made the show work so well was that it was never overtly said. I've always had a hard time watching FWWM, despite the fact that I like portions of it.

Does anyone else who loved the show (or at least the first season) mostly dislike Fire Walk With Me? I know it was seen as a blessing by most fans after the overly campy direction the second season went, but I personally prefer the more reserved approach the show originally took with the objectionable content. I always thought what was covered in FWWM was there in the original run as the subtext, and part of what made the show work so well was that it was never overtly said. I've always had a hard time watching FWWM, despite the fact that I like portions of it.

You're not alone.  I'm a fairweather Lynch fan, running inconsistently hot and cold on his various projects.  The show was great, but the movie was ugh.  WHY A PREQUEL?!  I fucking hate prequels, they spoil themselves.  (Star Wars episode 3 is the only one I've loved.)  And why bother to cast Jurgen Prochnow only to immediately kill him, and, jeez, FWWM is not one of Lynch's better moments.  

OK, that is some amazing foreshadowing.

It couldn't have possibly been intentional, there's no way Lynch & Co. could've known the show would get cancelled and then two decades later there would suddenly be this boom in restarting old prematurely-cancelled cult shows.  But still, it's a heck of a coincidence.  

Something that someone pointed out to me. This is Dale Cooper's famous first trip to the red room:

The thing here is: his hair is grey and he looks way older.  And this was the third episode.

Dale was always going to get stuck in there for 25 years or so!

• Like 1

You're not alone.  I'm a fairweather Lynch fan, running inconsistently hot and cold on his various projects.  The show was great, but the movie was ugh.  WHY A PREQUEL?!  I fucking hate prequels, they spoil themselves.  (Star Wars episode 3 is the only one I've loved.)  And why bother to cast Jurgen Prochnow only to immediately kill him, and, jeez, FWWM is not one of Lynch's better moments.  

I thought it was an excellent exploration of the Laura Palmer character.

The rest of it...eh, was a bit dubious.

OK, that is some amazing foreshadowing.

It couldn't have possibly been intentional, there's no way Lynch & Co. could've known the show would get cancelled and then two decades later there would suddenly be this boom in restarting old prematurely-cancelled cult shows.  But still, it's a heck of a coincidence.  

Something that someone pointed out to me. This is Dale Cooper's famous first trip to the red room:

The thing here is: his hair is grey and he looks way older.  And this was the third episode.

Dale was always going to get stuck in there for 25 years or so!

I'm telling you guys, David Lynch has magic powers.  He operates on transcendental metaphysical planes.  He knew this was going to happen.  HE KNEW IT!

• 5 months later...

Lynch has said on twitter he won't be involved.

Man, I'd heard Showtime execs were not easy to deal with (Bryan Fuller still seems bitter) but what the hell did they did they do or say to drive him away?

To be fair, Twin Peaks had 90% guest directors and Mark Frost did most of the work on the second season because Lynch was concentrating on Wild at Heart..so it's not like Lynch WAS the show, but still, it's very sad.

"Budget issues" seems kind of weird. Lynch doesn't spend a whole lot compared to some...how much were Showtime giving him exactly?

This is all very strange.

Lynch has said on twitter he won't be involved.

Disjointed and weird his storytelling may be, this is still a tale best left for Lynch to tell.

Showtime gets very good writers and licenses quality materiel, but they don't really know how to give material a proper send off.   Dexter exemplifies the best and worst of Showtime television and I am very worried about how series finale redux of Twin Peaks will turn out.

The main reason I feel compelled to watch this show is because How's Annie? did not exactly give me the closure I wanted.

Variety said that Showtime offered to give Lynch more money, but they wanted some profit participation and kickbacks in some other areas in exchange.  Apparently, Lynch's scripts ended up having a higher project than what was originally projected/agreed upon.

Lynch apparently has no agent, and Showtime has struggled to get in touch with his lawyer to negotiate.

One of my favorite "inept Showtime" stories is when they commissioned Takashi Miike to make a Masters of Horror movie for them and just assumed it would be fit to air on American television.

Apparently never having seen any Takashi Miike movies  or knowing much about him beyond he was a controversial, gory Asian director.

Shocker, he churned out Imprint, a movie they'd never be able to air, well, ever.

I do blame Mike Garris for that a bit too.

One of my favorite "inept Showtime" stories is when they commissioned Takashi Miike to make a Masters of Horror movie for them and just assumed it would be fit to air on American television.

Apparently never having seen any Takashi Miike movies  or knowing much about him beyond he was a controversial, gory Asian director.

Shocker, he churned out Imprint, a movie they'd never be able to air, well, ever.

I do blame Mike Garris for that a bit too.

To be fair, Showtime put the episode in their On Demand queue even though they never aired it live and they were also quick to cash in and release the episode with the MoH DVD set.

Mick Garris (the EP and creator of the series) knew what he was getting into but Miike went even more apeshit than usual with the content.  Showtime execs being the pansies they are balked at airing the episode.

Apparently without watching one frame of it because it is a brilliant fucking story.

I don't know if you can blame Miike for being, well, Miike. I do personally consider Imprint to be his best work. So maybe I'm not sorry he went crazy with it. (Amusingly, later on he said he thought he had toned it down.)

IMO, I think it was the whole "deformed prostitute's mom was an abortionist" subplot which was never going to fly in a (relatively) conservative country. I just don't think Showtime wanted to deal with all the hassle of airing it live.

The torture scenes are pretty awful but I don't think on their own they'd have been enough to get it canned entirely.

Miike knew he was creating Imprint for a US audience and some of us can be pretty squeemish. 

That being said, Miike was creating Imprint for cable where just about anything goes, so I can't really fault him for being freehanded with the story.  You gave the guy creative license; leave the man alone and let him do his thing.  He is Japanese so don't expect his cultural hang-ups to mirror American sensibilities.

Personally, I think that the Showtime execs lacked spine and were very hypocritical.  John Carpenter's absolutely fucking beautiful and unbelievably gory Cigarette Burns was just as bloody soaked and disturbing, but somehow Miike's entry got the boot because of "content." 

Political Bullshit.  Tobe Hooper had zombies having sex in his MoH episode, Dance of the Dead, and it made airplay, yet Miike's aborted fetuses are too much for cable?  I call shenanigans.