DVDVR Message Board

Steve Austin comeback

EN090

Not to mention that the comparison makes no sense whatsoever. The epitome of apples to

oranges.

Not sure how I made your point evilwaldo? My only point is that bringing in Austin would make money and would be fun for a lot of fans, granted they might be outside of DVDVR.

And I don't think making new stars and having Austin participate in a couple matches have to be mutually exclusive.

Not to mention that the comparison makes no sense whatsoever. The epitome of apples to

oranges.

Not sure how I made your point evilwaldo? My only point is that bringing in Austin would make money and would be fun for a lot of fans, granted they might be outside of DVDVR.

And I don't think making new stars and having Austin participate in a couple matches have to be mutually exclusive.

To put into context, the WWE is not TNA.  They organically make their own stars.  There is no need to bring in old stars from the previous generation for one time matches that boost nobody on the card.

I see, well I guess you haven't watched any Wrestlemanias in the past 10 years or so.

The WWE is into making money. If Austin is available and wants to do it, you can bet he'll be wrestling, because at the moment, he'd make more money then Rollins, Reigns, and Ambrose combined.

• Like 2

This thread is exactly what's wrong with wrestling today. Austin was the biggest star ($ wise) in history and would sell more tickets now than Rollins, Ambrose, Reigns combined or ever will honestly. There's a reason they bring back the recent nostalgia acts, no one else can draw. Of course there would be interest in seeing him have a legitimate retirement match. Just a FYI, he ain't coming back to fight some NXT call-up. It will be Cena, Punk, Taker, a legitimate Mania main eventer.

• Like 1

I do wonder who it would be. Brock or Cena makes the most sense business wise. I am not considering Punk as a viable candidate since he needs to rejoin the company in the first place. It'd be a special attraction match, I can't see them wasting him on anyone besides Cena, Brock or maybe HHH (NO! NO! NO!).

I know Austin says he has 1 more run in him, but considering his health in 2003 and the fact that doctors told him to never wrestle again, can we be sure that he would be cleared? Granted he hasn't been in the ring in 10+ years but even then his neck is still fucked, his knees are still fucked, and he had major shoulder surgery 2 years ago.

• Like 2

You need someone who can make Austin look good, who will at least be compelling in there with him (so heath slater is out unfortunately), and that can get some sort of rub, even in a loss.

It's basically Ambrose or bust in that regard. Rollins would make him look godlike too but I think they could pass the torch with Ambrose if they wanted to.

The biggest mainstream match would be either Lesnar or Batista. I think Batista wants to work HHH though. I'd probably go Sting/Taker (If he's up to it). HHH/Batista. Rock/Lesnar. and Ambrose/Austin. 

I guess the good news is that if they have those guys on the table, they can do pretty much anything with them. Sting/HHH works. Austin/Batista works. Batista/Lesnar works.Rock/Batista works.  Lesnar/Taker II works. Sting/Batista works. Austin/Bryan works. Sting/Rock works. Lesnar/Bryan probably works too.

• Like 1

I don't want an Austin comeback. Not because of some dopey "he'd just win and not put over blah blah" dopiness. I love that he's moved on and become successful in reinventing his career, and he doesn't need to be fucking wrestling ever again.

• Like 5

oranges.

To put into context, the WWE is not TNA.  They organically make their own stars.  There is no need to bring in old stars from the previous generation for one time matches that boost nobody on the card.

They've been doing nostalgia matches and one-off special attraction matches on Mania for a long time now.  They've put the belt on two part-time acts in recent years!

• Like 1

oranges.

They've been doing nostalgia matches and one-off special attraction matches on Mania for a long time now.  They've put the belt on two part-time acts in recent years!

How many of those matches involved Austin?

You do realize that he is playing you.  Just as Simmonds played everyone by taking on the NFL and getting suspended to promote his new show, Austin mentions 'one more match' and everyone thinks he is returning.

You are just being played.

I'm just ready for the next gen of stars to be made. They missed a golden opportunity to have The Shield and Wyatt's tear the house down at Mania last year so Cena could beat the most protected up and coming heel on the roster.  The Shield got rewarded for carrying the tv product all year with a shitty throw away match against AE relics. What will they do next year Usos vs Head Cheese, Ambrose vs Hardcore Holly, Rollins vs Val Venis while a bunch of 50 year olds headline smfh.

• Like 1

oranges.

How many of those matches involved Austin?

You do realize that he is playing you.  Just as Simmonds played everyone by taking on the NFL and getting suspended to promote his new show, Austin mentions 'one more match' and everyone thinks he is returning.

You are just being played.

Non involved Austin. They involved other guys in their 40's and 50's from a different generation, most of whom weren't the draws that Austin was. What's your point?

Maybe not for WrestleMania, but do you all think WWE could get away with a couple of pre-taped or semipre-taped matches on PPVs like they have in the past (i. e., Boiler Room & Hollywood Backlot Brawls)? The Austin talk made me think of this. A match with the most physical portions taped ahead of time vs. a good hand could compensate for his limitations, and would fit in well with a old school gimmicky feud. Could modern day snarky smart fans used to being privy to the machinations of production suspend their disbelief enuff? I used to quite enjoy these kind of matches, done well and sparingly, of course.

- RAF

p.s. - speaking of good hands in the ring, I would very much dig seeing a Goldust vs. SCSA feud.

Indeed there is, and it's the starting gun for Dustin vs. the Studd Stable.

I think they did have one match on RAW in the more famous gimmicks.

And the infamous Stone Cold / Marilyn Manson Goldust Port-a-potty angle, yes?

I do wonder who it would be. Brock or Cena makes the most sense business wise. I am not considering Punk as a viable candidate since he needs to rejoin the company in the first place. It'd be a special attraction match, I can't see them wasting him on anyone besides Cena, Brock or maybe HHH (NO! NO! NO!).

You don't have to worry about HHH; they tried to pitch that match last year and Steve basically laughed in their face over it. He had/has no interest on that front.

If he comes back, it'll be for Brock (who he's stated several times is the guy who intrigues him most) or Cena.

Austin vs. Ambrose, with Austin "passing the torch". But I don't see that going too well, for whatever reason. Otherwise, just give me one Sting match in WWE. That's it. I do want Austin to show up on WWE TV more often, though.

Besides, if you do an Austin comeback match at WrestleMania, it HAS to be in Texas. So it won't be in 2015 regardless.

Ambrose is the wrong guy for right now. He's building momentum. You don't put a babyface who's building momentum in with the biggest babyface of all-time. No one would get behind Ambrose.

Ambrose/Austin vs. Rollins/Triple H maybe? I'd love that.

• Like 1

Austin vs Rollins is the natural match-up. Or Austin vs Orton. I'm a bit shocked at the reaction here, too. Austin can totally fake his way through a 90s Attitude Era brawl, especially with a heel that can pinball off him.