DVDVR Message Board

Steve Austin comeback

EN090

There are no legitimate active stars outside of Cena...blame whomever for this, it's fact. Vince sucks, Steph sucks, Triple H was never the guy and doesn't know how to make one, whatever.

Mania 3 had Andre/Hogan/Savage/Steamboat, first ballot all time greats. Bruno wasn't a consideration because they didn't need him. Fast forward, they don't even have a guy who can pop a Raw 3.0, much less a Mania main event in a stadium for hardcore fans. They have needed Rock, Taker, etc. and continue to. The current group of guys wouldn't have gotten over with Vince of 1984, much less 2014. No balls, no charisma. They need Austin and he'd draw more than anyone they have, end of story.

Don't take "Mania 3" literally.  You could say Mania 2 or 5, Summerslam 88, whatever.  I mean to illustrate how Vince used to actually get guys over and then rely on them to draw.  As opposed to today where nobody is booked strong enough to draw and then he just calls the stars of yesterday when he needs them.

That's a match that would probably be horrendous. Austin needs to work with someone younger and Sting needs someone that can bump their ass off for him.

Plus if they're going to bring back Austin and Sting, they should match them up with people they've never faced before.

This is why WWE needs the legends...Rock comes back and pops the crowd more than anyone the whole night, delivers a better promo than anyone as well. Meanwhile, crickets chirp during the Ambrose promo.

What show were you watching?

The same one you were.

I think Big Fresh has it right, teaming Austin with someone you want to push (Ambrose and/or Reigns) versus The Authority would be a great way to get Austin in a match.  You'd basically be having your cake and eating it too as you could cover for any possible physical imitations Austin might have and give some people a rub in the process.

I think The Rock's return in a tag match showed that probably won't work. I don't think there are nearly as many people who will pay to see Austin in a tag match as there are people who would pay to see him in a singles match with another big star.

I also enjoy the hysterics and overly dramatic hand wringing "BRINGING BACK GUYS IN THEIR LATE 40S IS GOING TO LEAD TO SOMEONE DYING IN THE RING!~" The Wrestler was just a movie you guys. We don't even know if Randy The Ram died or not, it was an ambiguous ending! Guys have wrestled into their late 40s/early 50s for a long time. Without all the doctors and testing that they do now. It's like you guys have never heard of the AWA.

Or watched a Gypsy Joe match.

Here is what Jim Ross had to say about the whole thing anyway:

On a Possible Steve Austin Return: Talked with Steve Austin, whose podcasts on @PodcastOne are killing it, on Monday night and was kidding him about him ‘training for a comeback,’ which most fans thought meant Steve was returning to the ring, and, subsequently, ‘taking a bigger role within WWE in 2015.’ I jokingly asked Austin that if he was going to be taking a bigger role if he could get a brother some work because a man’s got to eat! Bottom line is that Steve was talking to a man who used to train with ‘Arnold’ back in the day at the Gold’s Gym in Venice and Steve said he was training to prepare to return to Gold’s Gym to train. They were talking about training, not wrestling, and how working out at Gold’s in Venice wasn’t for everyone. When the fans heard Austin say that he was “training for a comeback” they assumed that he meant to the ring which in turn means WrestleMania 31. While Steve always keeps an open mind on returning to the ring for one last match, that’s not an immediate goal of his or even on the back burner. If many factors involved in that process were in place, I could theoretically see Steve doing it but the chance that all the stars aligning to his satisfaction are slim plus the window of opportunity as it relates to Father Time is beginning to close as well. Austin would never return to the ring to go through the motions and he would likely need a solid four months of in ring work/training to be in the condition that he would demand of himself to headline a major event like WrestleMania. If I were WWE, I’d more likely look at WM32 in Dallas and begin discussing that sooner than later for the Texas Rattlesnake. That’s merely my personal opinion but selling 100,000 tickets in his home state might interest Steve the most if the money, the opponent and the creative were all on point. Austin just finished another season of Redneck Island for CMT and is getting ready to tape another run of the Broken Skull Challenge for CMT in a few weeks. After that it might be challenging to find him unless you can make your way to South Texas where the deer grow large on the Broken Skull Ranch.

On a Possible Steve Austin Return: Talked with Steve Austin, whose podcasts on @PodcastOne are killing it, on Monday night and was kidding him about him ‘training for a comeback,’ which most fans thought meant Steve was returning to the ring, and, subsequently, ‘taking a bigger role within WWE in 2015.’ I jokingly asked Austin that if he was going to be taking a bigger role if he could get a brother some work because a man’s got to eat! Bottom line is that Steve was talking to a man who used to train with ‘Arnold’ back in the day at the Gold’s Gym in Venice and Steve said he was training to prepare to return to Gold’s Gym to train. They were talking about training, not wrestling, and how working out at Gold’s in Venice wasn’t for everyone. When the fans heard Austin say that he was “training for a comeback” they assumed that he meant to the ring which in turn means WrestleMania 31. While Steve always keeps an open mind on returning to the ring for one last match, that’s not an immediate goal of his or even on the back burner. If many factors involved in that process were in place, I could theoretically see Steve doing it but the chance that all the stars aligning to his satisfaction are slim plus the window of opportunity as it relates to Father Time is beginning to close as well. Austin would never return to the ring to go through the motions and he would likely need a solid four months of in ring work/training to be in the condition that he would demand of himself to headline a major event like WrestleMania. If I were WWE, I’d more likely look at WM32 in Dallas and begin discussing that sooner than later for the Texas Rattlesnake. That’s merely my personal opinion but selling 100,000 tickets in his home state might interest Steve the most if the money, the opponent and the creative were all on point. Austin just finished another season of Redneck Island for CMT and is getting ready to tape another run of the Broken Skull Challenge for CMT in a few weeks. After that it might be challenging to find him unless you can make your way to South Texas where the deer grow large on the Broken Skull Ranch.

You mean to tell me he's not willing to risk a broken neck over our brilliant idea of having him wrestle Seth Rollins???

You mean to tell me he's not willing to risk a broken neck over our brilliant idea of having him wrestle Seth Rollins???

JR with his fucking NO punches, and NO Steve Austin return, and NO ref bumps, and NO scripted promos, and NO they don't enforce the rules anymore.  The guy is NO fucking fun!!!

Probably the wrong thread to put this in, but I don't get why everyone hates on JR for giving HIS opinion on HIS podcast. He always prefaces that stuff by saying its his personal taste. He's not a douche about it,

I never really thought he was going to come back either, I think if it was going to happen it would have by now. If he didn't see The Rock come back and get the itch then I don't see when he would. If anything he probably saw Rock's comeback and knew they would never be able to come up with a story good enough for his return.

As for why people hate his podcast, I think it's because people expect to hear more from his guests instead of JR ranting on the same topics every week. I haven't listened that much but it sounds like he interviews people like Gary Cubeta used to, just asking questions so he can get to the same rant about his pet peeves that he does with every other guest.

Probably the wrong thread to put this in, but I don't get why everyone hates on JR for giving HIS opinion on HIS podcast. He always prefaces that stuff by saying its his personal taste. He's not a douche about it,

Probably because - and I'll use the Sting episode as my example, as that was the last one I bothered with - he interviews like he's waiting for his turn to talk, instead of listening and reacting, ala Jericho or Austin or any half-decent interviewer. And when he does talk, it's always the same tired schtick. He's not good at doing a chat show.

I just saw one of those Wendy's BBQ ads with Austin.

He wasn't lying about putting on a drum. I figured he was just talking in relative terms... but dude looks like he's trying to smuggle a pillow.

I just saw one of those Wendy's BBQ ads with Austin.

He wasn't lying about putting on a drum. I figured he was just talking in relative terms... but dude looks like he's trying to smuggle a pillow.

On one of his more recent shows (the Nash one I wanna say) he mentioned that he had gotten up to about 270.

The problem causing the comeback talk are all the videos games and YouTube videos where kids can watch these moments and then re-enact them on their gaming system.  The new fans then want to see their old stars because in their mind they can still do all the moves on the games.

Unfortunately, father time has made it a difficult for them to put on a great match.