DVDVR Message Board

Steve Austin comeback

EN090

So the rumors of his return are heating up and he's even hinted at it during his podcast.

If it happens, who should he face? I only see two options that would be worth it-

1) Cena

2) Punk

Cena is an obvious choice and a program with Austin could be a good catalyst for him turning heel eventually.

The storyline with Punk would fit beautifully and it would be a match that i believe he would come back for. Straight edge vs. the beer swilling redneck. They could even weave in how both guys took their ball and went home at one point.

In terms of pure box office and crowd reaction though, I'd probably have to go with Cena.

Oh, and I whiffed on Brock. He would be a possibility although from a safety standpoint, it probably would not be smart.

Why? Brock is perfectly safe in the ring. However, I don't see his style meshing with Austin very well. I think an Austin return would turn out to be a crashing disappointment for all concerned. At his best, he's the epitome of punch, punch, stomp, stomp and while that's easy to work with, the character of Stone Cold Steve Austin is a thing of its time, Dean Ambrose is a much cooler anti-authority figure now, what's there for Austin to do?

BTW: I don't see any reason why Punk would come back. He saved his money, he gets great fees for appearances at comic cons and the like and basically can just enjoy himself. Why would he subject himself to the WWE schedule when he doesn't have to? The only thing that would bring him back is a big bag of money and 100% creative control. The first is easily doable, the second ain't gonna happen.

Why? Brock is perfectly safe in the ring. However, I don't see his style meshing with Austin very well. I think an Austin return would turn out to be a crashing disappointment for all concerned. At his best, he's the epitome of punch, punch, stomp, stomp and while that's easy to work with, the character of Stone Cold Steve Austin is a thing of its time, Dean Ambrose is a much cooler anti-authority figure now, what's there for Austin to do?

BTW: I don't see any reason why Punk would come back. He saved his money, he gets great fees for appearances at comic cons and the like and basically can just enjoy himself. Why would he subject himself to the WWE schedule when he doesn't have to? The only thing that would bring him back is a big bag of money and 100% creative control. The first is easily doable, the second ain't gonna happen.

Well,Taker got a concussion working with Brock and we've all seen the Cena matches. But who knows. I do agree that their styles don't really compliment each other.

A full time return for Austin? Might be a disappointment . But not a few one-off matches ala The Rock. His character may be something of the 90's but there is no doubt a huge market for seeing him in the ring again, for nostolgia purposes if nothing else.

I don't see how Austin vs. Cena at WM31 woulde be a crashing disappointment. It would do monster box office.

As far as Punk, non of us really know for sure. Its known that he's always wanted to face Austin so theoritically that could be a way to entice him and get the juices flowing again.

• Like 1

If you lose to Austin, congratulations you lost to a 50 year old retired wrestler. If you beat him, congratulations you beat a 50 year old retired wrestler.

The most I really ever want to see from Austin at this point is "Show up. Stunner a mid card comedy heel. Drink beer. Leave."

• Like 5

If you lose to Austin, congratulations you lost to a 50 year old retired wrestler. If you beat him, congratulations you beat a 50 year old retired wrestler.

.....and made a bunch of money in the process.

Yeah I honestly wouldn't be terribly interested in an Austin comeback match either. I'd much rather see them give Angle his one last WWE match (even though I know they won't) vs. Daniel Bryan. Hell, with Bryan's offense of kicks and submissions you could really work that match around Angle eating strikes and mat-wrestling without him having to bump excessively.

• Like 1

He could work as the secret weapon/dream/mystery tag team partner for Cena in the right angle.

Except Wrestlemania doesn't have tag team match main events, and you'dhave to save a one-night Austin return for Wrestlemania, surely?

So

The most I really ever want to see from Austin at this point is "Show up. Stunner a mid card comedy heel. Drink beer. Leave."

Yeah.

Legit surprised that people would have no interest in this.

I think the majority of the fanbase would feel differently.

As far as what he would draw-- Austin vs. Cena at Mania would easily match the business that Cena/Rock did and possibly exceed it.

I don't think it works as a program. Rock/Cena I worked because Cena has often been the PG version of The Rock or pushed as such. What sense would it make for Austin to point out all the shitty things about Cena?  It'd be too accurate and too cutting because he wouldn't rely on goofy comedy insults.

In reality it would be Austin talking about how great Cena is and Cena talking about how great Austin is.

Austin/Lesnar, Austin/HHH and Austin/Rollins are the natural feuds. Lesnar's probably the only one out of those that would spark a ton of interest because the outcome would be in doubt. As for the match, they'd do a crowd brawling Austin special that he used to have. He wouldn't need to take 30 german suplexes on his neck, he'd probably just take one for a big nearfall. That's how you make it believable too. Austin knows he can't still hang in the ring with Brock but damn, he can still fight like a sumbitch.

I have no interest in seeing Austin in the ring unless it's as some sort of enforcer/referee/commissioner angle that ends up with him stunning the heel in the end.  I understand why people want to see him back in the wrestling world, but don't get why people think he's capable of working any sort of decent competative or lengthy match.

The only one I'd wanna watch is SCSA/Punk. Austin/Lesnar doesn't make a lot of sense, unless he's gonna do like a Rocky Balboa "I don't think I can win, but I have to try" kinda thing which I don't find compelling for him, personally. Ambrose would be dumb because he can't possibly be face against Austin, and he's really picked up a lot of traction. Rollins makes more sense than that, but I'm not into that either.

Legit surprised that people would have no interest in this.

I think the majority of the fanbase would feel differently.

As far as what he would draw-- Austin vs. Cena at Mania would easily match the business that Cena/Rock did and possibly exceed it.

The fans have moved on from the Austin era which was more than a decade ago.

The ones who have not moved on are the same ones that populate the ECW reunion shows.  Remember when Vince brought back ECW and it was a shell of its former self?  Same thing here.

I love Austin as much as the next guy but just because he has a successful podcast does not mean he should return.

DDP has DDP Yoga which is doing great but I do not want to see him return despite being a fan.

Time to move on.

I just don't want to hear the what chants come back strong. They aren't completely gone but they are minimized. Ambrose is the obvious choice for who I would want to see him face. Austin returning to bring back the what chants and Punk is the worst thing imaginable without involving any real life tragedies into the equation.

Eh, the ECW comparison is off mark. This is Austin we're talking about-- bringing him back for a nostalgia match would make big bucks and the crowd reaction would be off the charts.

Hell, the crowd went nuts for that Sting video game promo and he hasn't been relevant in 20 years.

The older fans would be all over it and all it would take would be 1 classic austin promo to get the younger fans on board.

Time to make new stars the talent is there. What would people  think if the NBA brought back Jordan and Bird every year for the NBA Finals after the current teams played all year? All it tells me is that the current crop of guys isn't worthy of playing on the big stage. The thing is they never will be unless they're given the chance.

Even Cena feels out of place to me in the Rollins/Ambrose feud. It's like if Hogan had jumped in the middle of Rock/HHH in 1998. I can't imagine how weird it would be to see a 50 year old Austin against these guys who've been around for only a few years. I'm willing to bet 40% of WWE's current audience never saw an Austin match live. Rock looked bad enough, and he's a lot younger and less broken down than Austin. 

• Like 1