DVDVR Message Board

October 2014 Football Thread

cubbymark

Major upset alert: Poland 2, Germany 0.

Somehow Ozil will be blamed.

Well, he didn´t contribute at all to be honest. ;)

Half-Time of today´s matches and Iceland are leading the Dutch 2-0. Shit is going down in European international football right now.

EDIT: And it stayed at 2-0. Great night for Icelandic football I´d reckon.

Watching the US vs. Honduras game and they're talking about relegating and promoting teams from the MLS to the NASL.

Also here's a pretty awesome article on Bundesliga Fanatic about Gareth Bale and 10 superstars who almost signed for a Bundesliga club: http://bundesligafanatic.com/gareth-bale-and-10-other-superstars-who-nearly-signed-for-a-bundesliga-club

Watching Bayern/Bremen in which Bayern is up 1-0, but Heung Min Son has scored 2 for Bayer away against Stuttgart in less than 10 minutes.

And Xabi Alonso keeps on beasting for Bayern. He just scored from a free kick from outside the box.

This is remains a very strange start to the Premier League. Liverpool seem to have been a bit unlucky vis a vis playing on form teams, but I'm still not overconfident about their chances against QPR. Hoping Mario uses the occasion to get some confidence; we need to hand Redknapp his ass. If we can do that, I remain bullish about Champions League football next season.

Great match day for Bundesliga.

Jairo Sampeiro's goal against Ausburg was good stuff.

Gladbach looked pretty awesome beating Hannover 0-3.

Caligiuri scored twice for Wolfsburg in a 2-1 win over Freiburg.

Leverkusen shutdown Stuttgart in the first half going 3-0 and then Stuttgart shut them down in the second half leaving the game end in a 3-3 draw. Son scored twice for Leverkusen in less than 10 minutes and Harnik was pretty awesome for Stuttgart in the second half.

Dortmund pretty much had everyone back and they still lost 2-1 to Koln.

And Roberto Di Matteo made his debut as the Schalke coach defeating Hertha 2-0.

Good stuff overall.

That QPR-Liverpool match. My god.

I have no words to describe that. Harry probably needs to have his blood pressure checked.

Your avatar does a good job of describing it.

Have there been an inordinate amount of PKs in the Premier League this weekend, or is it just me? Four in City-Spurs, two already in Stoke-Swansea,,,

Agree with grizzle, Bundesliga had another entertaining matchday. The problem this season is the result. None of the teams which can be considered serious contenders outside of Bayern constantly wins matches. I fear it will be another season where all is done and dusted in March or maybe early April. Seems as if the days where a few teams were capable of winning the league are over.

Dortmund might have had a majority of players back, but a lot of them are not at the level they can be. Bayern just looks unstoppable, albeit Bremen has been a lower level club since about 3 years. A shame, they used to be really good for quite a few years. Hamburg seems to be catching form as of now, though they played another draw today, they looked to be on form. Convincing performance, especially Lasogga who looked dangerous when a pass got into his direction at the front. Outside of the dominant Bayern team, Gladbach seems to be the club of the hour, 16 points and still unbeatenm a good win in Hannover, they might be up for another good season.

That took a few years off my life expectancy, man. If Sturridge started that game, it would've been a comfortable 6-2 win - Balotelli cannot buy a goal and he's pushing too hard when he's in the box for it. I guess it'd be 6-5 for whom I don't know if Vargas and Sturridge started. Vargas is the shit and the fact he's coming off the bench late for Bobby "row Z" Zamora says all you need to know about 'arry.

NYCFC announced they've already sold 10,000 season tickets 5 months before they kick a ball competitively. Mike, any other predictions you'd like to whiff on? :D

Assuming the number is legit, it's still not that impressive. Atlanta has more than that 2 years from forming a team, and Orlando is far surpassing that.

Oh, and where's the stadium? Let me guess: the sheik will make an announcement in 60-90 days.

NYCFC announced they've already sold 10,000 season tickets 5 months before they kick a ball competitively. Mike, any other predictions you'd like to whiff on? :D

Assuming the number is legit, it's still not that impressive. Atlanta has more than that 2 years from forming a team, and Orlando is far surpassing that.

Oh, and where's the stadium? Let me guess: the sheik will make an announcement in 60-90 days.

Horseshit. You never felt the need to mention Orlando or Atlanta before because you were so convinced NYCFC would be dead in the water ticket wise. I believe your exact quote was "English Chivas USA." Suddenly NYCFC announces 10K sold and you're all BUT BUT BUT ORLANDO!

Quit moving the goalposts.

• Like 1

English Chivas USA is funny, but wouldn't they actually be Arab Chivas USA?

Newcastle managed to win a league match this weekend, and was +9 on Sunderland for goal difference. Things are looking up!!!! :)

• Like 1

Horseshit. You never felt the need to mention Orlando or Atlanta before because you were so convinced NYCFC would be dead in the water ticket wise. I believe your exact quote was "English Chivas USA." Suddenly NYCFC announces 10K sold and you're all BUT BUT BUT ORLANDO!

Quit moving the goalposts.

We'll see in March how legit the numbers are. Just know I've spoken to fans of other PL teams who bought New York City season and they were not happy when they started getting spam from the parent club, so they haven't learned from history. Saddest part in all this is that Red Bull has fucked up so bad that they are NYCFC's best advertsement. The good thing is that they are probably gone shortly butthe damage may already be done.