DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: YOKOZUNA

RIPPA

My exposure to pre-WWF Yokozuna was pretty limited when he showed up in 1992, and even then I doubt I would have connected him to the previous personas. I remember thinking he was going to be an Earthquake level guy - feud with the top guys for a bit, but ultimately lose to Warrior or Savage when it came down to it. And who knows, maybe if Warrior stuck around or Savage wasn't being pushed towards retirement that may have happened. But for 1993 standards (and even today) he worked a hell of a big man style and was easily one of the most believable champions of all time. Just the way he would sit on a guy after the drop... I mean there is no way anyone could kick out of that. 

It's a shame his weight issues got so out of hand because he definitely had more to offer either WWF or WCW in the late 90s. 

Enough to make you wish the WWF/E did Dominant Heel Champions more often.

What a nice run his 1993 was.  Shame his run -- and life -- were so short.

Lot of non-verbal charisma, which is fun to think about and keep in mind when "Charisma" is so often translated to "promo skills".

And an elegantly simple and believable finisher still among my all time faves.  A Fat Man Sitting On You.  I still don't think most of those jobbers were actually selling.  I can still buy them all legitimately being hurt.

Surely there's a youtube montage of him killing scores of jobbers with Banzai Drops, spliced together, somewhere

• Like 1

Yokozuna and Brock, are these the two Hulk never got a win back from?

Some big dude needs to bring back the banzai drop.

Also, this why we need more jobber matches, dudes getting killed by heels. I want Rusev running through guys in seconds.

Sometimes it didn't look that bad. You could kind of see him protecting them a little. Other guys....you knew they shit their pants.

When people talk about guys not being great because they only have a couple of moves, Yokozuna is one that I say disproves this claim. He had a savate kick, a leg drop, a corner splash and a banzai drop. 

Goddamn watching him gear up and take off running to splash a guy has to be one of the most fantastical sights in wrestling. To me, Yokozuna was just one of those wonders of the world that you could only find in wrestling.

• Like 1

Yokozuna is one of my favorite squash match wrestlers ever. I could watch early 1993 Yoko kill jobbers all day. I couldn't find my favorite jobber squash where he uranages a guy practically through the mat, but this one was really fun with the suplexes in particular. 

For some reason this sticks out more in my mind than anything else involving Yoko (aside from him crushing dudes). 

It was so weird for me to see a dude that also always squashed jobbers as a heel on TV to go face against Yoko, and Yoko to be afraid of him, stalling like a motherfucker with the salt. 

So this isn't a great Yoko performance. He's basically the kraken that Owen periodically unleashes when things aren't going Owen's way, which is what makes the team work so well really. But this match kicks ass and it's all about how the pairing works out. Watch when Yokozuna first comes in and drops Bob Holly and eyeballs Waltman like a drumstick. They don't get in the ring with each other until the end and it's fucking perfect. Beautiful finish to this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ3nyhPjgcA

TAKE A SHOT EVERY TIME VINCE USES THE VERB "MANEUVERING".

Yokozuna and Brock, are these the two Hulk never got a win back from?

Some big dude needs to bring back the banzai drop.

Also, this why we need more jobber matches, dudes getting killed by heels. I want Rusev running through guys in seconds.

Hogan never got a win out of Piper either, I believe.

The week where Rusev beat Sin Cara DURING THE COMMERCIAL ON THE WWE APP was fucking awesome. Not quite as awesome as Yoko sitting on dudes, or dropping that massive leg on somebody.

Read that as Ron Simmons vs. Samoan Cocaine and thought not even Ron Simmons can handle that.

This might be his last WWF match and it isn't particularly good or anything but posted more for the weirdness of babyface Fuji waving the American flag.  Least he could've done was put on some jeans and a cowboy hat like when Tojo joined with the Texas bunch in Memphis.

Sometimes it didn't look that bad. You could kind of see him protecting them a little. Other guys....you knew they shit their pants.

When people talk about guys not being great because they only have a couple of moves, Yokozuna is one that I say disproves this claim. He had a savate kick, a leg drop, a corner splash and a banzai drop. 

Goddamn watching him gear up and take off running to splash a guy has to be one of the most fantastical sights in wrestling. To me, Yokozuna was just one of those wonders of the world that you could only find in wrestling.

It's like Andre.  When you're that big you only need three moves, because your hiptoss looks and sounds like most guys' powerbombs.  I could buy Yoko's belly to belly as a finisher, far more than I ever could with, say, Shane Douglas who actually used one as such.  Yoko's legdrop could have been a finisher -- it even was, occasionally -- and again it really looked something that could destroy someone, unlike Hogan's, which only worked as a finisher because it was Hogan and everyone got so used to Hogan always winning with it.  Yokozuna's legdrop made the guy's head disappear.

Three things I like about this match

1. Yoko's hair

2. Instead of doing the nerve hold, Yoko applies the pressure to Carlos' bleeding forehead.

3. Carlos stopping Yoko from escaping the cage by slamming his head into the frame, and then having to grab him to keep him from falling out. Twice.