DVDVR Message Board

[AUGUST] WRESTLING PHOTO THREAD

RIPPA

The results of that FMW Anniversary show confuse me with Cactus Jack being involved. Wasn't he under contract woth WWE by May 1996. If he was given the okay to finish up a commitmemt or something I still find it odd that he would be involved in such a dangerous match.

The company still wasn't in a good financial state yet so were still willing to ocasionally let guys work Japan or other outside dates if the price was right. Undertaker worked M-Pro in 97 vs Shinzaki, Fake Diesel & Razor showed up in AAA in 97, Foley worked the 97 FMW anniversary show in a 6 man street fight, Vader & Shamrock wrestled on the big September 97 FMW show in a cage match, Windham & Bradshaw worked the 97 Tag League for All Japan, etc....

HHH standing on a tank wearing those trunks in that pose will be the stuff of nightmares. 

FUCK THAT. I just noticed the creepy face on the tank itself, that is what I won't be able to unsee now and will be having nightmares about tonight

• Like 1

FUCK THAT. I just noticed the creepy face on the tank itself, that is what I won't be able to unsee now and will be having nightmares about tonight

You're right...

Posted Image

I know who it looks like...

Posted Image

The results of that FMW Anniversary show confuse me with Cactus Jack being involved. Wasn't he under contract woth WWE by May 1996. If he was given the okay to finish up a commitmemt or something I still find it odd that he would be involved in such a dangerous match.

WWE had a deal going with FMW at the time. They also loaned them Ken Shamrock and Vader.

http://youtu.be/aTyiTu4uPto

Posted Image

Riverfront Coliseum (now known as US Bank Arena) was built in the late 1970s and featured that type of multicolored seating, which was designed to hide open seats in crowd shots. 

With that said, I do not think this is that building, but that pegs the time period down to 1975-1990.

Now that you mentioned the seats, and I had a look at the green/yellow/white color scheme, I think it may be the Met Center in Bloomington, Minnesota. The time frame is right, and the color scheme matches the one they had for the North Stars. I've also seen that same area used in WWF segments (namely the one where Hulk trains Mean Gene and they run up the steps.)

Posted Image

It was originally going to be Jack vs Matsunaga, but the WWF heard a rumor that Matsunaga had hepatitis so FMW pulled him and swapped in Kanemura.

Heard it was abysmal. Haven't seen W*ING vs. Cactus in a long time but I know Cactus did take some sick bumps in it, wasn't all Kanemura getting mutilated. This couldn't be pleasurable: 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pro wrestling is horror movie gimmicks

Posted Image

Posted Image

...and pro wrestling is sometimes just a horror movie

Posted Image

Yeah the entracnes were cool but then you have 1990's not good yet Undertaker doing his slow motion shit against Hakushi doing his slow motion shit.

Spoiler: There were rope walks.

My advice is find the Hakushi vs. Great Muta match instead. What a crazy, bizarre spectacle that was. Only in pro wrestling.

Yeah the entracnes were cool but then you have 1990's not good yet Undertaker doing his slow motion shit against Hakushi doing his slow motion shit.

My advice is find the Hakushi vs. Great Muta match instead. What a crazy, bizarre spectacle that was. Only in pro wrestling.

And the Muta match is why Hakushi's covered in blood here, IIRC. Muta "killed" him, and he was resurrected to face Taker.

And the Muta match is why Hakushi's covered in blood here, IIRC. Muta "killed" him, and he was resurrected to face Taker.

I know Pete had one of the magazines where Shinzaki went to that really big cemetery in Queens to bury his Hakushi gimmick.  I forget if it was after the Muta match or the Taker match.

Posted Image

Riverfront Coliseum (now known as US Bank Arena) was built in the late 1970s and featured that type of multicolored seating, which was designed to hide open seats in crowd shots. 

With that said, I do not think this is that building, but that pegs the time period down to 1975-1990.

Now that you mentioned the seats, and I had a look at the green/yellow/white color scheme, I think it may be the Met Center in Bloomington, Minnesota. The time frame is right, and the color scheme matches the one they had for the North Stars. I've also seen that same area used in WWF segments (namely the one where Hulk trains Mean Gene and they run up the steps.)

Posted Image

Assuming the arena is correct, and that it was a WWF show, it would likely be one of these...

WWF @ Minneapolis, MN - Met Center - November 25, 1984 (3,000)

Thanksgiving Day

Tony Atlas defeated Mr. X

Mad Dog Vachon defeated George Steele via disqualification

Jimmy Snuka won a $50,000 "Turkey Tournament" steel cage battle royal by escaping the cage first; Bobby Heenan and Big John Studd were co-"turkeys" for being the last two in the ring

Big John Studd defeated Curt Kumula

Ken Patera defeated Ivan Putski via count-out

David Schultz defeated SD Jones

Bob Orton Jr. defeated Salvatore Bellomo

Tito Santana defeated Moondog Rex

Jimmy Snuka defeated Moondog Spot

WWF @ Minneapolis, MN - Met Center - August 25, 1985

Cpl. Kirschner defeated Steve Lombardi

Kevin Kelly defeated the Terminator

Adrian Adonis defeated Lanny Poffo

B. Brian Blair & Jim Brunzell defeated Bret Hart & Terry Gibbs (sub. for Jim Neidhart)

Mad Dog Vachon fought the Missing Link to a draw

WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan & Paul Orndorff defeated Roddy Piper & Bob Orton Jr. in a steel cage match

The Junkyard Dog defeated WWF Tag Team Champion Greg Valentine

WWF @ Minneapolis, MN - Met Center - February 19, 1989 (10,000 paid)

Ron Garvin pinned Boris Zhukov

Big John Studd fought Akeem to a double count-out

Rick Rude defeated Brutus Beefcake

Mr. Perfect fought Hercules to a time-limit draw

WWF World Champion Randy Savage pinned Bad News Brown in a streetfight

Bret Hart defeated the Honkytonk Man via disqualification

The Bushwhackers defeated Jacques & Raymond Rougeau

Hulk Hogan defeated the Big Bossman in a steel cage match; after the bout, Gene Okerlund punched Slick, helped Hogan throw Slick into the cage, and then posed with Hogan

At what point did they switch over to the big blue cage?

Blue Cage came about in 1986.  The Bossman/Hogan match was touring with the blue cage because I think they did the cage superplex on several points of that touring match (I'm fairly certain they did that at an MSG show and would later do that spot I think on a Saturday Night's Main Event(.  I would guess it would be one of the earlier shows.