DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Someones already said it, but looking at todays news, WWE's Monday Night Wars series on the network always saying how that was the best WWE ever is interesting to me. 

They probably have another 5-8 years before all the dudes who are on top now (Cena, Orton, HHH) wont be active and the new era that they keep hyping is able to really take over and be the next generation of stars. However, it doesn't seem like we have a new Austin or Rock in the weeds. Yes, Ambrose is awesome and Bryan is great (when he comes back he will hopefully make a ton of money) but I don't think they are going to be groomed like a Rock or Austin is.

I'd be stoked if GFW can get moving into something big and compete with Vince, but I doubt it happens.

I would love to get inside some of the Offices head and really know what they think about vince and if he is the one who is fucking up everything.

Ramble.

Did anyone catch Lucha Underground on El Rey Network yesterday? I'm just now hearing about it. I know they have John Morrison, Chavo Guerrero Jr, Konnan & Maxine on there.

Check out the thread for the show in the lucha thread.

Did anyone catch Lucha Underground on El Rey Network yesterday? I'm just now hearing about it. I know they have John Morrison, Chavo Guerrero Jr, Konnan & Maxine on there.

Check out the thread for the show in the lucha thread.

Cool, thanks. I just watched the show too. :)

Can anyone help me, what was the story behind Paul E showing up on a Raw to do color with JR during the dying days of ECW? Why was King not there?

Wasn't that after they fired Stacy Carter and Lawler quit in protest?

Yes.  Heyman was brought in to replace Lawler.

It doesn't help that they run a show like Monday Night Wars which is complete bullshit and are trying to tell people how much WCW sucked. Then they're like "hey! we have all of WCW's PPVS!"

Well, if someone only knew what WWE says, they'd think WCW or any of the other content just isn't worth digging into.

They are so fucking stupid. They should be putting over the CLASH's and everything else that is available.

Can anyone help me, what was the story behind Paul E showing up on a Raw to do color with JR during the dying days of ECW? Why was King not there?

Wasn't that after they fired Stacy Carter and Lawler quit in protest?

yes. and by "dying days of ECW" i assume you mean "right after ECW died". 

When WWE releases these financial reports, does it mention the performance center? Unless it's some sort of a tax write off, it has to be losing a substantial amount of money.

IIRC, they got a sweetheart deal from orlando, full sail or both to put it there.

I will maintain until they change it that the biggest problem is that there's not enough content on the network. The WWE owns more footage than just about every damn body, so why are they being so slow to add shit?

Causa people might get it for PPVs, but the people who want to watch more than recent stuff have so many options out there. I would live to watch Memphis, but I can't do it on the network. So YouTube is the answer.

That and the visual presentation is shit.

When WWE releases these financial reports, does it mention the performance center? Unless it's some sort of a tax write off, it has to be losing a substantial amount of money.

IIRC, they got a sweetheart deal from orlando, full sail or both to put it there.

I believe this to be true. If you recall, there was a rumor at one time that all developmental was being moved to Stamford-- the idea being that Connecticut has tons of new entertainment tax incentives now. Something in Orlando, be it the city or the school, obviously offered enough to offset the CT tax breaks.

Yes, it's called HARRRRRvard.

Impeccable

The Network frustrates the shit out of me. I'm  almost 27 years of age. I've been watching as far back as I can remember. New Generation was fantastic stuff. Yeah, I'll never forget Bret vs Austin, Austin winning at XIV, or the reign of the NWO, or Foley going off the cell, or Montreal, or DX invading the Scope-- because all they play are shows and video packages saying how that was the greatest time ever. Give me territories!! I've seen hours and hours of footage of Piper talking about Portland or Graham or Patterson talking about San Fran-- but I've never actually seen a minute of footage from either! You wanna hook people with the Attitude/NWO era stuff? Great! Sure, give us Raw and Nitro! But hit me with some Smackdown, Heat, Thunder, Saturday Night, Worldwide, Pro, Shotgun/New York, Jakked/Metal, Velocity. Tons and tons of countdown shows about how great the '80s were, but not a single episode of Superstars, Wrestling Challenge, TNT, Prime Time Wrestling?? And they wonder why people pirate shit??

• Like 1

It's been mentioned on here before, but a big problem with the network is that a lot of their core audience doesn't have internet or isn't tech-savvy enough to get it.

While knowing what the "average" fan looks AND smells like, there is no way people can't handle the app/network. Right?

They lump it in with G&A (general and administrative) expenses (and others) in their "Corporate and Other" section. Here's the relevant portion from the earnings report:

Corporate and Other expenses increased $20.8 million to $116.2 million from the prior year period. As defined, these expenses include corporate G&A expenses as well as sales, marketing, and talent development costs, which cannot be allocated to specific segments. The increase in Corporate and Other expense during the period included $2.1 million in severance and related restructuring charges. Excluding the impact of restructuring, the $18.7 million increase supported the expansion of the Company’s international infrastructure, talent development and brand marketing.

I'd imagine NXT represents a sizable chunk of that $18M year over year increase.

I've had a subscription since the Network was debuted, and I've only used it a handful of times since WrestleMania. The monthly PPVs, of course, but not in my spare time. Mainly because the Roku is a garbage piece of technology, but having recently dusted off the cobwebs on my 360, I'm getting more use out of the Network.

I've gotta laugh at whoever was complaining about WWE burying WCW, still, and then going on to promote that they have all of the PPVs and some Nitro episodes. This is WWE - we know how they operate. They won't change their viewpoint on WCW, ever. But, in their defense, I think most of the shit they give WCW is justified. I've always thought WCW was low-rent, even the early 90s that seems to be a godsend for most of you guys around here. I'm willing to bet there's a nice chunk of the old/current fanbase that feels the same, too. I know I sure as fuck didn't subscribe to watch Fall Brawl 1993 or whatever. I did it for the monthly PPVs and the ECW library. I could also care less about territorial footage, but it'd be cool (I guess).

I know they poured millions and millions into the Network, but I think they should be counting their lucky stars that the numbers aren't worse. Quite frankly, I'm surprised they have that many subscribers.

Luke Harper was really nervous about his first day in WWE without Bray Wyatt and would go around asking people for help with basic things and he turned into this Mick Foley-type babyface and everyone liked him and they held him on their shoulders when he won the WWE World Heavyweight Championship. 

I was thinking something similar with him. Turn him babyface and get Daniel Bryan back on TV by having Harper move in with him and Brie. Like Encino Man.

Luke Harper was really nervous about his first day in WWE without Bray Wyatt and would go around asking people for help with basic things and he turned into this Mick Foley-type babyface and everyone liked him and they held him on their shoulders when he won the WWE World Heavyweight Championship. 

I was thinking something similar with him. Turn him babyface and get Daniel Bryan back on TV by having Harper move in with him and Brie. Like Encino Man.

So does Brie go with Harper to Prom instead of Daniel? That happens in Encino Man?