DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

The problem with the WWE is they think they are on par with the NFL and MLB. They think "well, we're the WWE...everyone loves us". Problem is outside the core audience everyone does not love them. Plus it didn't help that they have no clue how to utilize their own friggin libary of content or how to program a network.

I think something along the lines of Matt D; they should make KotR worth a title shot and do it as a one-night-only tournament special on the Network. Title changes on Main Event and Superstars with still shots on RAW would work. Bringing back the Clash would work.

I'm all for special-attraction World Champs that work limited dates and that ONLY defend on PPV or Network specials. Lesnar should defend against Cena on a Network-only Clash and not be seen again until the Rumble. Actually, I am a big fan of ALL champs just never defending their titles except for PPVs and Network-only specials. 

I also think, though my ideas here may be off, that the people who will really drive the Network's sub numbers are the hardcores. They have to book part of their shows around driving hardcores with disposable income to the Network. By "hardcores," I mean simply the long-time fans that are sort of like long-time fans of other slightly nerdy pastimes like comics, etc. Those guys pop big for Dolph Ziggler at RAW and on PPV? Give him a title shot on a Network-only show. Those guys love Bryan and want to see how he's progressing? Do Network-only updates where Bryan talks about his recovery and gives his thoughts on what's going on in WWE every month. That also means putting up AND promoting some of the earlier pre-Attitude era stuff that older hardcores may be interested in. 

They have the Network, but they sort of have to book toward driving people to the Network, and for whatever reason, they haven't changed their strategy to do so. 

EDIT: By the way, I know that Cristobal was being facetious, but if they can convince CM Punk to take on a non-wrestlingrole that is based around him on the Network - maybe color commentating Network-only shows/PPVs or something like that - that might help drive more of the hardcores get the Network just to see him.

• Like 1

What is interesting to me is that WWE Classics, a network that nobody even knew existed, had three things the Network is missing:

1. Each month had its own theme. (ie. AWA Month, Southern Wrestlers month, Mania month, March Madness) 

2. Routinely each month would have a focus on a few wrestlers of note. I remember one month where 3-4 Barry Windham matches 

would be added each week.

3. Legends roundtables. These things probably cost next to nothing to produce and are far more entertaining than a Countdown of the ten silliest wrestlers.  

• Like 2

I also think this Network stuff proves that WWE's idea that the brand is the real draw isn't true. If Dean Ambrose heats up and becomes a Brian Pillman/Stone Cold 2.0 hybrid, that would probably drive subscribers more than any of the ideas that I had about using the booking and creative Network-only specials to draw subscribers. Individual wrestlers are still the real draws and always will be. 

286,000 NEW subscribers, which means 255,000 cancellations over the course of 3 months.

The subscription model of the Network must've been put together by people with limited understanding of the average fan's mindset. The draw for a huge chunk of the subscribers was to watch Mania.  The 6-month subscription ran out around Summerslam time. Summerslam is not half the draw Mania is and my guess is they lost a lot of subscribers who will probably reup again around Mania.

The 6-month commitment didn't make any sense. 

I'd love for them to do an actual customer satisfaction survey as to why they're not retaininh, but they'll just blame it on what they want anyway.

I wonder how many people dropped the subscription due to the typical fall downtime?  I let my subscription lapse because I didn't want another six month commitment squeezed in before Wrestlemania, when I could wait a few months and get 3 of the big 4 PPVs during one six month period.  I plan on resubscribing, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Dropping the commitment destroys any business case for stacking Mania though.

But commitment is a two-way street - this paves the way for them to fiddle with the basic product offering. Have they been adding much content recently?

Offering free network for a month now is terrible though, it effectively chumps out people who are paying. Where's my free fucking month?

Dropping the commitment basically sends them back to the normal PPV mindset of "How many buys can we get this month..."

What does WWE need more to get those Network numbers up: more fresh content that is Network-only or more compelling television on the creative end?

My take is that with the goal of diversifying and maximizing profits, WWE has completely oversaturated the market.  Everywhere you look is WWE pushing content (tv, dvd, netflix, youtube).

Between Raw, Smackdown and Total Divas (if you want to count it) there is six hours of free programming each week. That's more than enough for a huge chunk of the fanbase.

On a good week I watch 10 hours of tv. How much time can the average person devote to wrestling?

The fanbase is not clamoring for more content. They are overwhelmed by it. 

I think they need truly "new" content.  Things like the Rivalries show is just going to end up as reheated clips/talking head segments that the "fanbase" has already seen.  Once the YouTube exclusive ends, they need to move their YouTube shows to the Network as original programming, and they need to move NXT off of Hulu and onto the Network exclusively.  NXT was the only show I watched regularly on the Network, and now that I don't have it, I can still watch it on Hulu.  If it wasn't on Hulu, there's a much better chance I would have resubscribed already.  Other than NXT, there is no "new" programming drawing people to the Network.

Here's the biggest thing they have to do. They have to make things feel important and can't miss. It's a problem with the start-stop nature of pushes and the amount of TV they have to fill an the even-stevens win-trading, but that's the biggest thing. People watch TV shows when they feel like they can't miss them. People buy the comics that feel like they "count" even if they're a dollar more than the rest of the line. if that means do a title change on Main Event 6 times a year and then only show still shots on Raw and Smackdown, so be it. If that means have major story angles drop on Superstars, there you go. 

I agree with this.  Even when it comes to the app, instead of the Network, if something important happens on the app during a commercial break, they'll show me, so they're telling me I don't really need the app because it isn't that important.  Honestly it is the same thing with Raw.  Everyone knows you don't need to catch the beginning of the show, because they'll replay it 37 times over the next 2 and a half hours.  Smackdown isn't important because it is rarely ever mentioned and is often just a dry run for Raw anyways.

Haven't had a chance to read through the thread. I apologize if this stuff has been brought but:

the only somewhat bright side to the number and the month-to-month change is that it *MAY* help them build-up the PPVs months-to-months. Not that they shouldn't have done that anyway, but it seemed that with a six-month window they assumed the only needed to really promote during key billing cycles. 

another thought is that I wonder if WWE management will somehow see the Network failure, so to speak, as reflecting poorly on the hardcore fans. I know that's a weird spin, but I can see them wondering why all the hardcores, who have been clamoring for all their content for years, didn't embrace the Network. 

another thought is that I wonder if WWE management will somehow see the Network failure, so to speak, as reflecting poorly on the hardcore fans. I know that's a weird spin, but I can see them wondering why all the hardcores, who have been clamoring for all their content for years, didn't embrace the Network. 

Or maybe those 700,000 subscribers ARE the hardcores.  I mean realistically, how many actual wrestling nerds like us really exist?

• Like 1

I'm surprised (not really) that they haven't added more subscription options than just the $9.99 a month option.  Like a prepaid nonrefundable year's sub @ $100 or 6 @ $50.  Would help with the retention numbers.

Some people going to be nervous for the next week or so.

Wade: 'Ello.

WWE: Hello, Wade.  Bad news, Barrett.

Wade: Yes.

WWE: No, I've got bad news.

Wade: Yeah, that's me.

WWE: No, I've got some bad news for you.

Wade: Yeah, that's my gimmick.

WWE: Never mind.

*click*

WWE: Hello, Zack.

Zack: Woo woo w...

WWE: You're fired.

Zack: ...ooo.

• Like 6

I'm surprised (not really) that they haven't added more subscription options than just the $9.99 a month option.  Like a prepaid nonrefundable year's sub @ $100 or 6 @ $50.  Would help with the retention numbers.

I though that too, but, as I pointed out, commitment is a two way street and ties their hands in certain respects. They can potentially decide to up the cost on Wrestlemania month and things like that. They're keeping options open.

They are converting 20% of their weekly Raw viewers to subscribers. The overall wrestling audience is dwindling rapidly. There is no promotion or cost cut that will increase subscriptions. There will need to be another boom period in order to boost it...unfortunately they don't have the creative minds backstage or horses in the ring to accomplish this.

• Like 1

They are converting 20% of their weekly Raw viewers to subscribers. The overall wrestling audience is dwindling rapidly. There is no promotion or cost cut that will increase subscriptions. There will need to be another boom period in order to boost it...unfortunately they don't have the creative minds backstage or horses in the ring to accomplish this.

I think WWE's stuck between keeping the status quo and slowly bleed or risk the unknown by making a huge change in direction.

Someones already said it, but looking at todays news, WWE's Monday Night Wars series on the network always saying how that was the best WWE ever is interesting to me. 

They probably have another 5-8 years before all the dudes who are on top now (Cena, Orton, HHH) wont be active and the new era that they keep hyping is able to really take over and be the next generation of stars. However, it doesn't seem like we have a new Austin or Rock in the weeds. Yes, Ambrose is awesome and Bryan is great (when he comes back he will hopefully make a ton of money) but I don't think they are going to be groomed like a Rock or Austin is.

I'd be stoked if GFW can get moving into something big and compete with Vince, but I doubt it happens.

I would love to get inside some of the Offices head and really know what they think about vince and if he is the one who is fucking up everything.

Ramble.

Did anyone catch Lucha Underground on El Rey Network yesterday? I'm just now hearing about it. I know they have John Morrison, Chavo Guerrero Jr, Konnan & Maxine on there.

Check out the thread for the show in the lucha thread.

Did anyone catch Lucha Underground on El Rey Network yesterday? I'm just now hearing about it. I know they have John Morrison, Chavo Guerrero Jr, Konnan & Maxine on there.

Check out the thread for the show in the lucha thread.

Cool, thanks. I just watched the show too. :)