DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Not really, he main-evented the final PPV. He also tagged with Kevin Nash and feuded with Kanyon, which I guess was a dropdown of sorts but not really given Positively Kanyon was one of the best things in late WCW. Iirc the night Booker T won the World Title for the 1st time Kanyon had beaten him clean earlier in the show, he was fairly protected at that point.

Since the book thread is dead, I thought I'd put it here:

If you have the first edition of Death of WCW, DO NOT bother with the "10th anniversary edition".

The "new content" boils down to a few added quotes from Mikey Whipwreck, Lance Storm, and a few others, most of which were gleaned from blog posts and shoot interviews.  

The hyped up "epilogue" is literally pages of a list of TNA fuckups stolen directly from the LOLTNA History page, some verbatim.  Pathetic.

On top of that, tons of errors in the first edition STILL haven't been fixed in this one, including factual errors.  Including spending pages bitching about WCW's handling of luchadores, then mislabeling La Parka as Psicosis in a caption.

It does hold the distinction of being the first Kindle book I've ever returned for a refund.  I'm so annoyed by the cash grab done here that I'd return the first edition as well if I could.

You know.

I don't really have a problem with the Katie Vick deal. It wasn't particularly entertaining, but I didn't think it was as useless and embarassingly awful as Rosie/Trump fight or The giving birth to the hand shit. At least Trips was doing it to get in the head of his opponenet, and it's not like we were supposed to believe he fucked a real dead body.

I never thought it was that bad, either.  It was dumb, to be sure (Then again, everything about a long thought dead brother of a guy who looks nothing like him coming back for revenge after being raised by the other guy's surrogate father in secret despite the fact said father and other guy were  a team for many, many years is pretty stupid) but it was never as offensively bad as some people made it out to be.  I often felt like a lot of people misunderstood the part where Triple H jumps in the casket as actually defiling the body, not doing it to get in the head of Kane.

When you take into account the general consensus of Mike Awesome at the time he debuted in WCW as a cant miss main event talent has anyone simularly situated been given such embarrassing go nowhere gimmicks practically right off the bat?

It was such a great example of "Hey, let's grab ECW's champion and really stick it to them and shock the crowd" but no one bothered to look at the fact he would never properly get over in ECW without A) A manager to do the talking for him (Much like Jeff Jones did for the first stretch in ECW until Awesome was over enough as a killer that all he had to do was scream and swear to get his point across) and B) Being able to straight-up murder guys through tables which, when they tried to do in WCW, resulted in multiple concussions for Vampiro.  I figure if WCW had gotten Sabu (They even reported it on their website before Heyman blocked it), it would have been a similar story: big debut in a hot angle before quickly cutting the legs from under a push leading him to tumble down the card into a feud with Brian Knobbs.

I started getting ECW on Prime Sports Network (airing on PASS out of Detroit) in '96, iirc.

Then Fox Sports bought Prime, and dropped ECW.  Then PASS picked it up on their own, not part of the Fox Sports package, and after about 3 months in 1997, it was back on again.  Until Fox Sports bought PASS and turned it into Fox Sports Detroit and again dropped ECW, at which point I didn't get it back until TNN.  It was in a crappy timeslot, but it was on.

And ECW on the Sunshine Network in Florida I think started in 95.  They were way beyond the Philly/New York market years before TNN (hell, they were selling ppvs nationally starting in 97.)

I miss the CCHA game of the week on PASS.

You know.

I don't really have a problem with the Katie Vick deal. It wasn't particularly entertaining, but I didn't think it was as useless and embarassingly awful as Rosie/Trump fight or The giving birth to the hand shit. At least Trips was doing it to get in the head of his opponenet, and it's not like we were supposed to believe he fucked a real dead body.

I never thought it was that bad, either. It was dumb, to be sure (Then again, everything about a long thought dead brother of a guy who looks nothing like him coming back for revenge after being raised by the other guy's surrogate father in secret despite the fact said father and other guy were a team for many, many years is pretty stupid) but it was never as offensively bad as some people made it out to be. I often felt like a lot of people misunderstood the part where Triple H jumps in the casket as actually defiling the body, not doing it to get in the head of Kane.

When you take into account the general consensus of Mike Awesome at the time he debuted in WCW as a cant miss main event talent has anyone simularly situated been given such embarrassing go nowhere gimmicks practically right off the bat?

It was such a great example of "Hey, let's grab ECW's champion and really stick it to them and shock the crowd" but no one bothered to look at the fact he would never properly get over in ECW without A) A manager to do the talking for him (Much like Jeff Jones did for the first stretch in ECW until Awesome was over enough as a killer that all he had to do was scream and swear to get his point across) and B) Being able to straight-up murder guys through tables which, when they tried to do in WCW, resulted in multiple concussions for Vampiro. I figure if WCW had gotten Sabu (They even reported it on their website before Heyman blocked it), it would have been a similar story: big debut in a hot angle before quickly cutting the legs from under a push leading him to tumble down the card into a feud with Brian Knobbs.

To be fair, if there was a series if Sabu/Knobbs hardcore matches in WCW, I'm pretty sure this board would have an entire subsection devoted to them.

You know.

as far as i'm concerned, the Rosie/Trump "match" is the worst thing WWE has ever done.

hated the Katie Vick stuff. hated the "Eddie's in Hell" stuff. hated JR's colonoscopy skit. hated DDP's stalker role in the invasion. still hate Super Cena's obnoxious mega push.

but the Rosie/Trump stuff made me never want to watch the show again.

The Mark Henry/Mae Young hand birth was pointlessly stupid. No real camp comical value like Boss Man dragging around Big Show's dad's casket.

Riddle me this: I know WWE has a hard-on for creating their own guys, but does anyone else agree that it was phenomenally stupid to take the mask off of and rename El Generico? They basically signed Sin Cara because they were looking for the replacement for Rey Mysterio Jr. who could sell replica masks by the boatload to the kids.

I think Generico would've been HYOOGE with the kids and sold a shitload of masks.

Two problems with my theory:

1. WWE wouldn't outright own the Generico character, setting themselves up for a Punk situation.

2. It might have held back his upward mobility to the top of the card if not played right.

Yeah, the Generico gimmick is tailor-made for that kind of angle. It's not like you need to have any prior knowledge whatsoever of the gimmick to "get it" - it's just a white guy pretending to be a lucha create-a-wrestler. The crowd would eat it up if Sami got suspended through Authority shenanigans or lost a "You're Fired" match and El Generico showed up on RAW a week later.

Riddle me this: I know WWE has a hard-on for creating their own guys, but does anyone else agree that it was phenomenally stupid to take the mask off of and rename El Generico? They basically signed Sin Cara because they were looking for the replacement for Rey Mysterio Jr. who could sell replica masks by the boatload to the kids.

I think Generico would've been HYOOGE with the kids and sold a shitload of masks.

I don't think I'm alone in thinking that Sami Zayn is great without the mask and I'm glad he doesn't do the Generico character anymore. I mean I'm a fan of Sami Zayn and Generico and orphanages and not the same guy and kayfabe.

Probably because signing with WWE provides the opportunity for unbelievable fame and fortune. Generico is a gimmick only a few thousand people are even aware exists. Zayn dropped his mask in a heartbeat so I'm guessing if WWE wanted the gimmick, Generico would sign it over without hesitation.

That whole DDP/Kanyon against Brothers of Destruction feud was ass backwards...jobbing all the time...with the SummerSlam "match" as final letdown.

I hated Taker's matches back then.

Well as bad as Muggataker matches were back then, that whole DDP burial was more a Vince having to show the WWF was superior to WCW in every way. He couldn't have a match with Hogan and Nash getting squashed right after he bought WCW so he had to improvise. The fans seemed to like that DDP guy.

Wasn't there a thought or fear that Kanyon would have been crazy enough to take a last ride or chokeslam off the top of the steel cage in that tag match against The Brothers?

The Mark Henry/Mae Young hand birth was pointlessly stupid,

Eh, Vince thought it had a point.  According to Meltzer (among others), it was part of Vince's effort to get out of Henry's contract.  Henry's initial 10 year deal was guaranteed (!) and Henry was a low workrate, overweight midcarder back then.  Allegedly, Mae Young and the other dumb stuff Henry was involved in back then was designed to embarass Henry into quitting (thereby voiding the contract).

I like Henry just for that (and not much else, tbh.  I did dig his heel ECW character for a while).

The idea of Low-ki being a happy smiling jobber amuses me way more than it should.

Wasn't there a thought or fear that Kanyon would have been crazy enough to take a last ride or chokeslam off the top of the steel cage in that tag match against The Brothers?

Kanyon said in his shoot that he suggested both a chokeslam over the top of the cage through the announce table and a Last Ride off the top rope. Undertaker vetoed both.