DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

So Sami Callihan finally got his new name: Solomon Crowe.

Well...  At least the initials are the same.

I hope this means he'll be getting a GOT gimmick, and Rebecca Knox will be telling him every week "You know nothing Solomon Crowe".

Did Savage really call out Scott and Shawn for going over their allotted time at WM X?Randy, rest in peace, but.... ladder match >>>>> 8 man tag match.

I kind of disagree with this but does anyone know if the guys in the ten man tag still got their Mania bonus or not?
Bob Holly said he was screwed out of his WMX payday in his book, and since he pretty much listed exact amounts he was paid for the PPVs he wrestled and didn't say a word about what he made for WMX, I would guess they didn't get a bonus.And the Savage story is also in his book and Hall has confirmed it in the past, so apparently it did happen.
I suspect it might be a case of Savage using his tenure to bitch them out in a way that no one who got bumped could. As good as that ladder match was, shafting three Samoans and two Steiners out of their WrestleMania money was probably not the brightest move.

Did Savage really call out Scott and Shawn for going over their allotted time at WM X?

Randy, rest in peace, but.... ladder match >>>>> 8 man tag match.

I kind of disagree with this but does anyone know if the guys in the ten man tag still got their Mania bonus or not?
Bob Holly said he was screwed out of his WMX payday in his book, and since he pretty much listed exact amounts he was paid for the PPVs he wrestled and didn't say a word about what he made for WMX, I would guess they didn't get a bonus.

And the Savage story is also in his book and Hall has confirmed it in the past, so apparently it did happen.

I suspect it might be a case of Savage using his tenure to bitch them out in a way that no one who got bumped could.

As good as that ladder match was, shafting three Samoans and two Steiners out of their WrestleMania money was probably not the brightest move.

A ten-man tag team match was supposed to take place next, but it was canceled due to time constraints.[35] The kayfabe reason given was that the heel team (Irwin R. Schyster, The Headshrinkers, Rick Martel and Jeff Jarrett) could not agree on who would be the team's captain for the match. Their opponents were scheduled to be the face team of the 1–2–3 Kid, Sparky Plugg, Tatanka and The Smoking Gunns.[35] Bob Holly, who was supposed to participate in the match as "Sparky Plug," stated in his 2013 autobiography The Hardcore Truth that the timekeeper backstage repeatedly told the referee over his earpiece to end the ladder match, but Michaels and Ramon ignored him, and kept wrestling until officials were forced to cancel the tag team match.[36]

NEWZ!!~!!

All signs point to Eddie Edwards and Davey Richards no longer being under contract to Ring of Honor. Both men are expected to be at the WWE Performance Center in September for another weekend-long talent evaluation camp.

Posted Image

Didn't they just win the ROH tag titles, too?!

They lost them in their first defense.

Ah, I see I'm behind on my ROH spoilers.  Those belts get passed around like the Hardcore Title lately.  Kind of a weird booking decision, make a big deal about putting emphasis on the tag titles, then hotshot three title changes in short order.

If i'm going to buy Christina as the grizzled vet, he needs to drop his jump over the top rope to the OUTSIDE OF THE RING to punch a dude move. That's the only thing he is doing these days that I hate, and it doesn't seem like a VET move to me.

It's dope & it's over, like Cody's Dustin tribute (fall to the mat & punch the dude from your back).

Now that Martin Stone is working a football hooligan gimmick on NXT, I'd love to see him paired up with Wade Barratt in some form of bruising Brits tagteam.

Wasnt that his gimmick in the UK? When they came to King of Trios, the cartel wore flat caps and came to the ring to Vindaloo.

Not only is it great but he's so good at tweaking it when he's in the second/third match with a guy so that there'll be a counter attempt and he'll hit it in a more interesting way later in the match. I don't think there's anyone better at that sort of thing in the WWE than Christian. There was a lot of it in the Zayn/Ohno series though so I'd really like to see a Ohno/Christian program.

Did Savage really call out Scott and Shawn for going over their allotted time at WM X?

Randy, rest in peace, but.... ladder match >>>>> 8 man tag match.

Bob Holly said he was screwed out of his WMX payday in his book, and since he pretty much listed exact amounts he was paid for the PPVs he wrestled and didn't say a word about what he made for WMX, I would guess they didn't get a bonus.

And the Savage story is also in his book and Hall has confirmed it in the past, so apparently it did happen.

I suspect it might be a case of Savage using his tenure to bitch them out in a way that no one who got bumped could.

As good as that ladder match was, shafting three Samoans and two Steiners out of their WrestleMania money was probably not the brightest move.

A ten-man tag team match was supposed to take place next, but it was canceled due to time constraints.[35] The kayfabe reason given was that the heel team (Irwin R. Schyster, The Headshrinkers, Rick Martel and Jeff Jarrett) could not agree on who would be the team's captain for the match. Their opponents were scheduled to be the face team of the 1–2–3 Kid, Sparky Plugg, Tatanka and The Smoking Gunns.[35] Bob Holly, who was supposed to participate in the match as "Sparky Plug," stated in his 2013 autobiography The Hardcore Truth that the timekeeper backstage repeatedly told the referee over his earpiece to end the ladder match, but Michaels and Ramon ignored him, and kept wrestling until officials were forced to cancel the tag team match.[36]
OK, just three Samoans, one of them being Afa. Still not bright regardless.

It's the best useless news item of the week time!

Raw ratings notes, per BIG DAVE Meltzer:

Punk and Bryan's segments caused spikes in the ratings. Punk gained 600K people, and the main event gained 1Mil people. The main event was the highest overrun in "some time," per Meltz. I can only conclude that people love top-rope suplexes. Orton/Christian was a ratings loser in the 10pm time slot, which is usually always a place where the show gains viewers.

Also, in much sadder news - Total Divas and AJ lost 500K viewers - once again proving that other than a select view enlightened (read: awesome) people, the audiences for the two shows do not overlap.

Oh, and there was no football running against the show.

It's the best useless news item of the week time!

Raw ratings notes, per BIG DAVE Meltzer:

Punk and Bryan's segments caused spikes in the ratings. Punk gained 600K people, and the main event gained 1Mil people. The main event was the highest overrun in "some time," per Meltz. I can only conclude that people love top-rope suplexes. Orton/Christian was a ratings loser in the 10pm time slot, which is usually always a place where the show gains viewers.

Damn, these fans really want to see the Big Show save Bryan.

Here is the breakdown from the Torch...

- OVERALL: 2.19 rating / 1.376 million viewers

- Q1: Raw opened with a 2.16 rating for 15 minutes of an uninterrupted promo segment involving Triple H, Daniel Bryan, and Randy Orton.

- Q2: Raw increased to a first-hour-high 2.19 rating for a five-minute conclusion to the promo segment, one commercial, Cody Rhodes vs. Fandango, and half of a commercial.

The increase came from the five-minute promo conclusion. Within Q1 and Q2, Raw increased from 1.2 million to 1.3 million to 1.4 million to 1.5 million to 1.6 million in Q1, then finished with 1.7 million at 8:18 p.m. EST when the segment concluded.

When the segment concluded at 8:21 p.m., a big chunk of viewers bailed to "American Pickers" on History. During the first hour, "Pickers" drew the most viewers away from Raw, followed by a "Duck Dynasty" re-run on A&E.

- Q3: On the other side of the break, Raw dipped to a show-low 1.97 rating for Rhodes & Miz vs. Fandango & Damien Sandow, backstage segments, and one-and-a-half commercials.

- Q4: Raw stayed at a show-low 1.97 rating for the first-half of C.M. Punk vs. Curtis Axel and two full commercial breaks. During the last break, another chunk of viewers bailed to "American Pickers."

- Q5: Raw jumped 21.3 percent to a 2.39 rating at the top of the second hour for the teaser of Punk getting his hands on Paul Heyman, the extended beat down on Punk that went until 9:12 p.m. EST, and one commercial at the end of the segment.

Peak viewership was 1.692 million viewers at 9:07 p.m. The segment then concluded with 1.690 million viewers at 9:10 p.m.

At the top of the hour, Raw got chunks of viewers from Duck Dynasty, American Pickers, and Real Housewives of OC once those shows concluded.

- Q6: Raw began sliding with a 2.16 rating for Brie Bella vs. Natalya, A.J. Lee's post-match "worked shoot" promo on the "Total Divas" show, and one commercial.

However, within the segment, A.J.'s promo popped to 1.731 million viewers at 9:23 p.m., then 1.770 million viewers at 9:24 p.m.

- Q7: Raw dipped again to a 2.13 rating for another round of Alberto Del Rio vs. Rob Van Dam, plus one commercial.

Notable in Q7 was a significant chunk of viewers (96,000) coming over from "Lizard Lick Towing" 
at 9:31 p.m. This contributed to TruTV being the second-largest contributor of viewers to Raw during the second hour.

- Q8: Raw dipped to a second-hour-low 2.05 rating for backstage interview segments and two full commercial breaks, "bringing the crowd down" from the second hour action.

There was one minute where Raw popped to 1.717 million viewers for Heyman and Curtis Axel's backstage interview before getting in their car and leaving.

- Q9: At the top of the third hour, Raw actually declined again to a 2.04 rating for WWE champion Randy Orton vs. Christian.

Compared to the Top of the Second Hour, Raw did not draw in a significant number of new viewers in the Top of the Third Hour. The top source was 17,000 viewers from "General Hospital."

- Q10: Raw stopped the ratings slide with a 2.10 rating for the final few minutes of Orton-Christian, Daniel Bryan's post-match paint-job backstage, one commercial, and Triple H & Orton surveying the paint-job after the break.

The final few minutes of Orton-Christian redeemed the meat of the match in Q8, as the finish of the match popped to 1.632 million viewers, which easily topped the Q9 segment and anything else in Q10.

- Q11: Raw dipped to a 2.07 rating for Titus O'Neil vs. Jack Swagger, a Wyatts vignette, and two full commercial breaks.

The only notable movement of the third hour was 48,000 viewers bailing to "Baseball Tonight" on ESPN from 10:42 to 10:43 p.m. during the second commercial break of the hour.

- Q12: Raw jumped 15 percent to 2.38 rating for Bryan vs. Seth Rollins and one mid-match commercial.

- Over-Run: Raw jumped 18.9 percent to a 2.83 over-run rating for the end of Bryan-Rollins, Shield jumping Bryan to cancel out the rest of the gauntlet, and the show-closing angle with Triple H holding back the roster from helping Bryan.

Included were the most-watched minutes of the show with 1.790 million viewers at 11:03 p.m., then 1.877 million viewers at 11:04 p.m., and 1.788 million viewers at 11:05 p.m. when Raw signed off.

At the start of the over-run, Raw gained 37,000 viewers from "Basketball Wives," then a steady trickle of viewers tuned in from other shows during the remainder of the over-run. 

No word yet on the lost female viewers during Bryan segments.

I hate to do this every month, but this month the masked man said CM Punk used a steel chair and the ring steps in a post modern fashion. He's got to be trolling at this point, right? I mean, he can't be serious any more. It's like someone gave Gonzalez a masters in Literature and made him write for Bill Simmons.

• Like 3

I hate to do this every month, but this month the masked man said CM Punk used a steel chair and the ring steps in a post modern fashion. He's got to be trolling at this point, right? I mean, he can't be serious any more. It's like someone gave Gonzalez a masters in Literature and made him write for Bill Simmons.

Do we know for sure that he doesn't?