DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I just read that Ziggler jobbed to Cesaro during the Superstars taping. Jae really has terrible luck when jumping onto bandwagons. 

Is there any word on if Ziggler is in the doghouse or something? Even though I've been high on him, I can't really justify him the main event right now, but you'd think he'd still be stable midcarder right now.

My best guess would be some of the things his brother (Briley Pierce was his NXT name) said on Twitter about developmental and some of the Bill DeMott stories immediately following his release.

Plus, Ziggler allegedly has a rep for forgetting spots in matches.

Christian's character is "wily grizzled veteran". I have no idea why people can't see that.

How does he play that character? How is it reinforced in promos and on commentary?
Well, he looks grizzled. And last night during his promo he talked about being a survivor of the Attitude era and the McMahon/ Helmsley regime. And the commentators always talk about him being a vet.
  • Like 1

Sorry to bring Ted back up, but I just think it's funny I kind of dug Ted Jr. a lot in NOAH, but could not give one shit about him in WWE. I'd always sing during his entrance. He comes from money/ he comes from class/ I'm skipping forward/ to the next match.

Still laughing at this. Nice one.

TNA is cutting the BFG series short and will have their final four after this week's Impact.

That's disappointing. After the first year where they were doing just whatever with singles and tags counting, I thought last years was great with getting every possible match combination to take place.. shame that won't happen this year but at least we got Styles/Aries out of it.

Christian's character is "wily grizzled veteran". I have no idea why people can't see that.

How does he play that character? How is it reinforced in promos and on commentary?
Well, he looks grizzled. And last night during his promo he talked about being a survivor of the Attitude era and the McMahon/ Helmsley regime. And the commentators always talk about him being a vet.

That and all his matches are based around him not being the quickest or the strongest, but still being able to outsmart most of his opponents and counter a lot of their signature spots. Lately, most of his wins have been with timely roll-ups.

• Like 1

I do not speak or read Japanese. Can anyone give me the CliffsNotes version of what the 1/100 thing with Hiroshi Tanahashi is all about? Would be appreciated.

I personally have no idea, but am also interested in the answer. And if someone knows what Satoshi Kojima's crowd participation catchphrase when he raises his arm in the corner means, that'd be grand too.

Alls I know is I once asked a Japanese girl "hey, what does ICCHAU ZO" mean?" and she got tomato red. (It was right after asking "would the proper transcription of my name (Jarno) be 'jaruno?'.")

There are several reasons I wouldn't want Devitt in WWE, but they could probably use a small-but-ripped guy.

I would like to talk to you about a person called Ben Satterly

He also tends to win matches more by subterfuge than brute force. The last month he got wins over guys like Del Rio and Orton by rolling them up after mistakes.

He also tends to win matches more by subterfuge than brute force. The last month he got wins over guys like Del Rio and Orton by rolling them up after mistakes.
Yeah, that isn't character work at all, it's WWE book-by-numbers. "OH, FANDANGO'S MUSIC IS PLAYING? WHAT IS HE DOING HERE? THE DISTRACTION!"

I do not speak or read Japanese. Can anyone give me the CliffsNotes version of what the 1/100 thing with Hiroshi Tanahashi is all about? Would be appreciated.

I personally have no idea, but am also interested in the answer. And if someone knows what Satoshi Kojima's crowd participation catchphrase when he raises his arm in the corner means, that'd be grand too.

Alls I know is I once asked a Japanese girl "hey, what does ICCHAU ZO" mean?" and she got tomato red. (It was right after asking "would the proper transcription of my name (Jarno) be 'jaruno?'.")

There are several reasons I wouldn't want Devitt in WWE, but they could probably use a small-but-ripped guy.

I would like to talk to you about a person called Ben Satterly

He's thicker than Devitt, though.  Satterly is built like a short Hercules Hernandez.  By "small" I didn't mean short, I really meant skinny but muscular.  Like Joel Hartgood in ECW.  Remember him?

So I haven't watched wrestling in 5-6 years, but decided to watch SummerSlam because fucking American Dragon won the WWE title. 

My question is when has WWE decided to have those super close to the ring cameras with great mics that let you listen dudes calling spots? I have been watching some recent Botchamanias and that's all over those, real loud audibles.

I haven't been paying much attention to his entrance pops but the crowds are consistently into all of his matches. That's more than what can be said about most wrestlers. And I wouldn't take too much stock in who some of these crowds pop for. Last night half the Phoenix crowd popped pretty hard for Orton when he first came out and the cameras had to pan away and turn down the volume.

Brings up a question I had: are they gonna change Orton's music? Because that song is always gonna get a pop.

They'd never do it, but I always thought that "HEY! nothing you can SAY!" was great smarmy bastard music.

That would be unbelievable if they changed Orton's music back to that. The change to Voices properly reflected his change in attitude back in 2007, but now he is back to being HHH's chosen one and is more arrogant then psychotic (and I think could allow of an awesome reaction if/when he turns face again and Voices hits).

Unfortunately Orton did an interview last year where he said he absolutely despised that song from the moment he heard it and was glad he finally got a new theme.