DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I forget if it was here or somewhere else but someone tossed out the idea that Cena is the ultimate tweener and perfect since he can wrestle as the heroic face for the kids and against smark darlings as a heel.I completely agree with this assessment. It's 100% true.The thing that's interesting -- has Cena turned the definition of tweener on its head? I always associated tweeners as a rogue cool heel, like Punk circa the Pipe Bomb or Shawn Michaels when he started transitioning from his first heel run into a face turn back in like 91 or whenever.

But Cena's tweener is that he's a doofus, corporate face. The smarks hate him because he's a perceived pretty boy who can't wrestle who will whore himself out to sell dumb merchandise. But he's still a good person who has morals, thus keeping within how a babyface should act.

It's pretty genius when you think about it and it's absolutely great from a business plan. Cena's interesting to everyone but for completely different reasons.

I actually mentioned something like this on the old board, forgot how I put it but basically commented how I wondered if this wasn't a very purposeful attempt to parlay a new concept of face/heel dynamics. Greggulator says it a bit better than I did at the time though; case in point, I didn't think of him as a tweener but rather a full-fledged heel, which overlooks that he still does major face-type things. Could you imagine Flair back in the JCP days visiting terminally ill kids?

I forget if it was here or somewhere else but someone tossed out the idea that Cena is the ultimate tweener and perfect since he can wrestle as the heroic face for the kids and against smark darlings as a heel.I completely agree with this assessment. It's 100% true.The thing that's interesting -- has Cena turned the definition of tweener on its head? I always associated tweeners as a rogue cool heel, like Punk circa the Pipe Bomb or Shawn Michaels when he started transitioning from his first heel run into a face turn back in like 91 or whenever.

But Cena's tweener is that he's a doofus, corporate face. The smarks hate him because he's a perceived pretty boy who can't wrestle who will whore himself out to sell dumb merchandise. But he's still a good person who has morals, thus keeping within how a babyface should act.

It's pretty genius when you think about it and it's absolutely great from a business plan. Cena's interesting to everyone but for completely different reasons.

So would make him an anti-tweener? 

I could imagine Flair doing it and bringing the boys women.

I'm now picturing Chris Rock's bit about Jerry Lewis

"WOOOOOO!  Little Timmy's got 5 months too live!  So the NAAAAAAITCHA BOY is gonna have some big titties put in his face!  WOOOOOO!"

• Like 2

When/If Cena turns heel, they should rip off the Atlantis angle from CMLL and make Cena a heel character who cluelessly thinks he's still a babyface.

(When Atlants turned rudo several years ago, he still did his technico entrance.  So he'd walk to the ring kissing babies and waving to the crowd - completely oblivious to the fact that they were now booing him).

It would be in poor taste, but I'd mark for a staged - I said, staged! - segment where Cena insisted on still visiting Make-a-Wish kids, not realizing that he was making them cry because they really wanted Daniel Bryan.

As a bonus, when Cena does realize that he's no longer megapopular with kids, he can have a bout of self-doubt, start living on the street, and eventually join Vince's hobo army.

The angle practically writes itself.

• Like 4

It would be in poor taste, but I'd mark for a staged - I said, staged! - segment where Cena insisted on still visiting Make-a-Wish kids, not realizing that he was making them cry because they really wanted Daniel Bryan.

Oh man is that brilliant. I'm sure there would be actual Make-A-Wish kids who would make it their wish to be apart of such an angle.

When/If Cena turns heel, they should rip off the Atlantis angle from CMLL and make Cena a heel character who cluelessly thinks he's still a babyface.

(When Atlants turned rudo several years ago, he still did his technico entrance.  So he'd walk to the ring kissing babies and waving to the crowd - completely oblivious to the fact that they were now booing him).

The thing about that Atlantis angle was that they were attempting to run a major Atlantis/Wagner Jr. program, with Wagner as the rudo.  However, Wagner built up a ton of momentum after his father passed away, and the fans turned him babyface without him changing up his schtick too much.  Eventually Wagner just played to the crowd 100%, and the fans kinda started booing Atlantis because he was kinda stale, and opposite Wagner.  When they finally embraced the turn, Atlantis legit turned rudo and started acting & wrestling like a rudo, but would play to the crowd like he was still a babyface.  It was kinda how like Cena plays up his babyface act to the nth degree in towns like Chicago or at the second One Night Stand PPV, where he knows his uber-babyface schtick will draw more heat than doing anything "heel". 

SoCal Val is apprently gone from TNA. I like her, she's gorgeous. But I'm not really sure what they got from her that Christy Hemme doesn't provide.

Maybe it's just me, but I wish they'd released Christy and kept Val.
I'm with you, but there's no way TNA was gonna do that.

From Bill Simmons' mailbag today

Q: Did I just hear on your podcast that you were "never a fan of" Bret Hart? As a lifelong follower of the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be, I'd appreciate an explanation.—Dennis, PhiladelphiaSG: Let's see … no personality, no sense of humor, wet hair, horrible entrance music, hideous wrestling outfit (pink and black?), never tweaked his gimmick, didn't get along with Shawn Michaels, "carried" the WWE during its most boring stretch of the past 40 years, sold out for WCW money, remains memorable only because of (a) the Montreal Screwjob (and the fact that he punched Vince McMahon afterward), and (B) his phenomenal Ewing Theory credentials (the WWE took off again right after he left). Just thought he was overrated.Back to Bret Hart: His market-correction guy was "Mr. Perfect," Curt Hennig, another technically terrific wrestler who hit the WWE in the mid-1980s. I always loved the arrogant "Mr. Perfect" gimmick and thought Hennig was more interesting and entertaining than Hart, but Hart's extended wrestling family (brother Owen, brothers-in-law Jim Neidhart and British Bulldog) morphed into the Hart Foundation family, which stole good spots in every pay-per-view. With the Hitman leading the way, of course. So Hennig ended up being the Keaton to Hitman's Hanks — he never won the WWE title and eventually jumped to WCW. So not only did Bret Hart semi-bore the hell out of us in dozens of pay-per-views, he drove away his more entertaining market-correction guy. I don't hate him for it. Just can't call myself a Hitman fan. Wait, did we just spend four paragraphs on this?