DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Something just occurred to me, re: why I'm not going out of my way to watch the big leagues anymore:

Reading the Sin Cara Army idea ... I WANT to see that on-screen.  I WANT that to happen.  I would absolutely love it if the Hobo Army happened, I would have loved it if Abyss went on a tear beating WWE legends and stealing their rings to become Parallax, I would love it if an ECW reunion were booked like "Blackest Night" ... and my god, how many awesome ways can the Stud Stable and Col. Parker and Bunkhouse Buck come back.

But it doesn't happen.  Shit that would probably result in higher ratings ... never happens.  Chikara, for different reasons than some may think, quite possibly could - for better or worse - be/have been the next evolution in pro wrestling.  But fuck if it's on TV, or will make it on TV anytime soon.

Insert sigh here.

If there is an army of Sin Cara's do we get the Real Americans turning face to fight the evil illegal invaders? Because no way all those Sin Cara's came through the same way Antonio Cesaro did, paying his taxes and filing his paperwork.

The Sin Cara army should be followed in by the 50 John Cena clones that were part of his WM entrance that one year. It should all coincide with John Cena's return. So you essentially have a main event angle built around people looking like Sin Cara and John Cena...just like how HHH must have envisioned it when he first signed Mistico all those years ago.

Chikara, for different reasons than some may think, quite possibly could - for better or worse - be/have been the next evolution in pro wrestling.  But fuck if it's on TV, or will make it on TV anytime soon.

I enjoy Chikara precisely because it deconstructs pro wrestling's tropes, but I don't know if that's something that would appeal to a massive audience of people. I think that in general, audiences are more satisfied by seeing tropes held up and used really, really well over having them deconstructed with a wink and a nod. 

• Like 1

Going from the promo videos on the WrestlingIs youtube they are going through some sort of cryptic re-structuring over at Chikara.

I hope they come back or at the very least Ultra Mantis Black, Archibald Peck and the Ants pick a new "home".

I guess I'm an asshole or something, because I REALLY can't stand watching ADR.  I will admit that this possibly comes from my throbbing indifference to WWE programming.

Del Rio is someone who is fine in the ring, but who leaves me absolutely disinterested whenever he's in the World/WWE TItle picture. He gets too much tv time, and he really hasn't done anything interesting for me since feuding with Rey. I'd rank him slightly higher than the Miz, which is damning with faint praise.

Worst wrestler on the roster? Probably Khali and Hornswoggle, but they don't really wrestle anymore. Jinder Mahal?

Mark my words: Luke Harper can go. You won't see it right away because of the position he's in, but as Brody Lee he was good, and put on a solid farewell match against Eddie Kingston that I got to see live.

• Like 2

If anyone's still interested in the PWI 500 for this year, here 'tis (it's the alphabetical listing):

Posted Image

I know its the in thing to crap on it, but before the internet, this was how I learned about a lot of indie and international wrestlers.  Got me an early interest in tape trading and whatnot. 

Hell from reading a lot of local wrestler's feelings about it on facebook, it's the in thing to crap on it, but if I were a wrestler, I'd try hard to submit my stuff to get more people to want to learn about who I was as a wrestler, thus potentially more bookings and potentially more money, which is what it's being about right? 

Khali is almost completely immobile now so technically he's probably the worst guy on the main roster but he's still a giant and he appeals to a country with a shit ton of people in it.  Riley and Otunga aren't very good either but I can't remember the last time I saw either wrestle.

Ryder's easily the worst guy on the roster now.  An absolutely awful babyface character and a mediocre at best in-ring talent.  He's not even charismatic.  There's just nothing there.  I'll never understand that little movement he had for a minute where people kept pushing for him.  He's basically the embodiment of this generation of dipshits that think they can achieve something just by putting something on YouTube or getting re-Tweets or likes on Facebook.

---

Daniel Bryan needs an army of hobos.  Sin Cara can be it since he's pretty much just a bum now anyway.

Man, they should've thrown Bryan into an alley in the back of the arena after beating him up.  Then the next week he could've come back looking even more disshelved and backed up by his new Hobo Army.  Then the Shield guys would've been all, "We didn't sign up for this. Those hobos are all full of hepatitis and shit."  So one of the McMahons makes a deal with the Wyatt Family to take care of the Hobo Army in exchange for shots at the Shield's titles.  Then when Bryan thinks he's got a clear shot at Orton, the Stud Stable jumps Bryan cause Orton joined up with Col. Parker unbeknowst to Triple H.  Now the McMahons' house of cards is swaying with strife between the Shield and the Wyatts, the McMahons that made the deals with each respective group, and Triple H and Orton/The Stud Stable with Daniel Bryan and his Hobo Army trying to topple the whole thing in addition to the wild card of John Cena's return looming on the horizon.

• Like 2

Maybe instead of "worst guy on the roster" the argument should be "least valuable"? Khali is maybe the worst in-ring guy they have but as has been noted he's 8 fucking feet tall and appeals to a country with 1.2 billion people so he's one of the WWE's more valuable guys on the roster.

If it weren't for WWE seemingly putting him on commentary I'd say it would have to be Alex Riley.

Ryder should turn heel and become the poster child for everyone who says this generation has entitlement issues.

Alex Riley skates by on his theme song alone.

Anyway they've been using him as an announcer. 

Also, seriously, Greg Valentine is the ICP's usher and he stands next to old bald Vampiro who is the world's worst Waldorf. No one else finds this notable?

So its being reported that AJ Styles contract is up and TNA has yet to renew.

This seems to happen a lot to TNA lately, almost as often as they run a 'mystery man' angle.

Would WWE take him? If so would they fast track him onto TV or would they stick him down to NXT?  He would fit in perfectly in the Sin Cara-rmy