DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Does anyone remember a spot Brutus Beefcake (among others) did in the 80's?  He would get his opponent's head between his legs, as though he were setting up for a piledriver or power bomb, but then he would just jump up once and the guy would take a bump. Monsoon always said it was the opponent "getting his bell rung" but surely the move must've had a name, right?

Note: Anyone who says the "Bellringer" is dead to me.

So you tap a guy on the back of his head with your penis and he is driven into the ground?

IIRC the guy taking the move usually did a back bump.  But yeah, the penis thing is pretty accurate.

I feel like that was in the SmackDown! video games.

Nasty Boys were pretty much always fine in their role over the years but the Road Warriors are the goddamn Road Warriors. It isnt always about match quality or whatever, some people are just special and Roadies were special.

So, basically the Ultime Warrior of Tag-Teams?

I wouldn't say that. He brought a ton of presence and charisma and had a great run but the Road Warriors were a phenomenon who were huge everywhere they went. I dont necessarily think they were the best working tag-team of all time or anything but I feel like to knock or deny the fact they were an enormous attraction is silly. They were an enormous attraction in a dozen different places and majorly influential. They never really experienced mainstream crossover success but within the wrestling industry context I would say they are major institutions a step below Hogan, Andre, Austin, Rock.

C'mon guys...enough with the SMARK HINDSIGHT. The Road Warriors, in their time, did everything necessary to be over huge. And draw lots of money. In the US and Japan. The Nasties were pretty good for what they were. But seriously? Damn.

I

Does anyone remember a spot Brutus Beefcake (among others) did in the 80's? He would get his opponent's head between his legs, as though he were setting up for a piledriver or power bomb, but then he would just jump up once and the guy would take a bump. Monsoon always said it was the opponent "getting his bell rung" but surely the move must've had a name, right?Note: Anyone who says the "Bellringer" is dead to me.

I don't know why, but I've always called that move The Lumberjack Driver.

C'mon guys...enough with the SMARK HINDSIGHT. The Road Warriors, in their time, did everything necessary to be over huge. And draw lots of money. In the US and Japan. The Nasties were pretty good for what they were. But seriously? Damn.I

Yeah really. I mean there's no comparing The Road Warriors to The Nasty's. The Nasty Boys at their peak didn't even come close to The Road Warrior's. Sure, it can be argued that The Nasty's were the better tag team, but Hawk and Animal are a whole different level.

• Like 1

Yeah really. I mean there's no comparing The Road Warriors to The Nasty's. The Nasty Boys at their peak didn't even come close to The Road Warrior's. Sure, it can be argued that The Nasty's were the better tag team, but Hawk and Animal are a whole different level.

So is there "no comparing" or "can it be argued"?I don't think it's smark hindsight to debate whether the Nasty Boys are better in-ring wrestlers, which is what Matt D is talking about. But he's nuts, because I'd rather watch the Road Warriors power and paint it up, than the Nasties do...anything.

I hate watching the Road Warriors. You guys are just nostalgic. I don't even like their act after, maybe Georgia and in Georgia I like them because they are part of a bigger unit. Are we going to start arguing how great Brody is next?

I hate watching the Road Warriors. You guys are just nostalgic. I don't even like their act after, maybe Georgia and in Georgia I like them because they are part of a bigger unit. Are we going to start arguing how great Brody is next?

You're nuts. And I mean that in a nice way, pal. But you're nuts.

It's pretty clear to me that the board crash left Matt a sad and broken man, and he's now determined to push us all away with his Road Warrior bashing madness.

He must have caught something camping. It's bringing out his Demolition bias.

i've seen a lot of 80s Roadies over the last couple of years and about the only match of theirs I liked was the one with the High Flyers who were an astoundingly superior team in every way except for when Greg starts doing his low self-esteem napoleon bs babyface cheating stuff. 

They were draws but they weren't sustainable because their act was lame if they weren't just killing jobbers. They're a little better by 87-88 but when they were at their hottest you get the sense they literally had no idea what to do in there. 

They had an act that people wanted to see and did it. Later on they proved to be a very good team in a traditional tag format.

They had an act that people didn't want to see more than a couple of times because it was literally impossible to find ways to keep throwing opponents at them. They were unsustainable. Any idiot could roid up, put facepaint on and do what they did so long as they had the wrestlers giving them what the wrestlers gave them. They happened to be first. I think the general failure of people trying to ape their act wasn't because the Roadies were innately special in any way but because the act was so flawed.

Because someone mentioned it here, I just watched the Road Warriors vs. Midnight Express for the Tag titles(which is apart of my new Blog post here: http://jaedmc.blogspot.com/) and that match was a hell of a lot of fun. A lot of it was because Stan Lane couldn't stop karate kicking people.

Road Warriors were pretty good at getting Karate Kicked by Stan Lane, though, so they're the greatest tag team ever.

• Like 1

I don't really have a dog in this fight, but I think the RW act was only successful for them not only because it was novel, but because it was them. Saying anyone could have taken roids and put on facepaint and instantly have been that over with the same formula is a bit disingenuous I feel. It's like saying dress a big guy in yellow and red and give him a script about vitamins and anyone could have been Hogan. The Road Warriors aren't really a great tag team work rate wise, but they clearly brought  a huge presence that made their debuts in promotions and subsequent squashes believable, memorable, and buzz worthy. 

Also, the Sheepherders are way better than the Nasties at basically everything. 

• Like 5

So would you say that the Road Warriors aren't unlike Mark Henry in that they were given a role and performed better than just about anybody could?

Seems pretty obvious that the Road Warriors are the Mark Henry of tag teams.

• Like 2

So would you say that the Road Warriors aren't unlike Mark Henry in that they were given a role and performed better than just about anybody could?

Seems pretty obvious that the Road Warriors are the Mark Henry of tag teams.

There are different levels of difficulty in roles. Nailz had a role. He pretty much did what he was supposed to do. It's not just that Mark Henry plays a role. it's the role that he plays and how he plays it and the sheer versatility of it. Also, he played his role way better than they play theirs. They had a novelty that he did not get the chance to have.

The Road Warriors were awesome. Who cares how great many great matches they had. They hit the ring and hurt motherfuckers. THAT is pro wrestling.

And made a TON of money and filled a TON of seats.  I can't believe anyone who thinks they know twat about wrestling is comparing them to someone like Nailz or saying Mark Henry performs better in his role then they did in theirs.