DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Every Japanese wrestler in WCW during this time frame was basically a more athletic version of Kinji Shibuya and Mitsu Arakawa.  They never actually bowed or threw salt in their opponents' eyes, but I always got the feeling they could.

And if only they would.

House of Pain: Evolution 10th August 2013, Britannia Hotel, Coventry

What a strange show this was. I thought I was going to some low budget little indie but it had 26 wrestlers spread over 7 matches and lasted a shade under 4 hours. The venue was a city centre hotel which can't have come cheap, and it was advertised as free entry for kids. I'm useless at estimated the size of crowds. 100 maybe? We were a noisy bunch, but that doesn't mean squat at the box office. It's not like all the wrestlers were scrubs either, star attractions were Mark Haskins and Doug Williams. Gotta worry about the financial acumen of anyone involved in this.

An early highlights was "Textbook" Dave Breaks. With a picture of a schoolbook on his trunks, "Textbook" (or "Textbox" as the kids behind me were chanting) Dave is a bit of an Achibald Peck figure. Played cowardly technical heel tonight, and was loads of fun. Apparently he's usually face, where his cries of "Textbook, baby!" seem pretty over, and his act is a man charmingly deluded by a unwarranted sense of adequacy. He's a legend in his own mind, and a lower-card guy in the ring. The sense of disconnect is oddly lovable.

But if you want lovable, then the night belonged to the phenomenon that is GRADO. The camp, chubby Glaswegian danced his way into the ring to Like a Prayer and the audience went nuts. He had to pause for a breather on the way down the ramp and he sat on my lap, so there's no way I can be impartial about the guy after that. But as underdog fatboy babyfaces go, he's gotta be one of the best around. He taps into the whole end of the pier/music hall side of British wrestling. He won his match against "Loco" Mike Mason (who is a dog - no, really a dog) by getting Mason to chase a ball into a cage at ringside and locking him inside. If you're not a fan of Grado's after watching the ring entrance in the match below, you're dead to me, man.

And if you're not a fan after watching the match and how the crowd respond to him you're dead to yourself.

Then, after 6 matches of family-friendly wrestling, the ring was stripped down for the main event. In front of a really mixed audience, we were treated to a "no canvas bare boards deathmatch". Wild brawling, staple guns, a giant corkscrew and blood. This was the weirdest experience I've ever had attending a wrestling show. How can you enjoy a spectacle like that when you can see kids getting upset by it? Just a colossal misjudgement. Solid performances from Clint Margera and Jack Jester, but let's just say the superplex through two steel chairs onto tacks on the bare wood wasn't the finish.

• Like 2

Show has improved dramatically, but he has a lot more bad matches than good ones. He has been the best he's ever been since the 2008 comeback and the addition of the KO punch. He still has some stinkers in big spots, but most of those are due to him not having the best chemistry with Cena.

I would argue with the "more bad matches than good" point, especially during his tag run with Miz and Jericho. His Smackdown run opposite Bryan, Orton and co produced some great TV matches too. Since 2008, he's been one of the most consistent workers in WWE IMO.

Giant was credible to good in-ring no later than '96.  I was also a big fan of his promos back then, but I don't really recall much about them now (except for promising to turn the Four Horsemen into the Four Geldings.)

I've said it before about Show, but he's a guy who's absurdly consistently good, has a metric shit-ton of matches in the "solid to good" range, but very few great matches.  HIAC against Sheamus last year, the Mayweather match, and...  not much else.  But he's virtually always good.  And for a guy that big, that old, that established, and that rich, it's amazing the shit he's willing to still do in the ring.  I still cannot fucking believe he took an electric chair from Sheamus.  God, that feud was awesome.

House of Pain: Evolution 10th August 2013, Britannia Hotel, CoventryAn early highlights was "Textbook" Dave Breaks. With a picture of a schoolbook on his trunks, "Textbook" (or "Textbox" as the kids behind me were chanting) Dave is a bit of an Achibald Peck figure. Played cowardly technical heel tonight, and was loads of fun. Apparently he's usually face, where his cries of "Textbook, baby!" seem pretty over, and his act is a man charmingly deluded by a unwarranted sense of adequacy. He's a legend in his own mind, and a lower-card guy in the ring. The sense of disconnect is oddly lovable.

Textbook is pretty great as a self-promoting heel. The one time he brought out an actual textbook which he used to explain the rules to the ref, then waffle his opponent lives long in the memory.I was going to go to this, but a combination of being massively tired and feeling burned by the first show which failed to deliver the advertised Marty Scurll or Mark Andrews meant I didn't bother. I heard this time the Fite Club vs Boneyard tag match was missing a member of each team and replaced them with unadvertised guys, so this may be a recurring theme.Next week Grado is back in Cov, this time in a tag match vs the Henchmen, which had the potential to be the greatest thing in wrestling.

Saw this on GameFaqs. Don't know if it's actually true, but I really want it to be:

Lance Storm is currently in the process of suing the owners of a club in Maryland for using his image to advertise a male stripper competition. The Lux Upscale Eatery & Nightclub, located in Baltimore, supposedly had a poster hanging outside its walls with a WWE-produced studio picture of Storm with the caption: "Come see the live Mr. Baltimore competition, as a dozen of the city's hunkiest men display and disrobe with the hopes of winning the platinum trophy in addition to $10,000. One of the judges will none other than Oklahoma's sexiest man, O'Daddy Valentine!"

"O'Daddy Valentine" is the name located under Storm's picture.

There's no word on how much Storm is looking to receive from the suit. Our calls to the club have been unanswered.

Giant was credible to good in-ring no later than '96.  I was also a big fan of his promos back then, but I don't really recall much about them now (except for promising to turn the Four Horsemen into the Four Geldings.)

The WWE said Show was lazy lazy when he he first came from WCW. I don't think so, He just wasnt expected to go much being a WCW main eventer straight out the gait. Most the top guys half assed their matches every week, so unless you had a ppv match you weren't expected to go all out.

He did bust out a missle drop kick during a squash match during his WCW run though 

Poor Necro. Killing himself for peanuts with the smallest chance of it really paying off. I've often wondered what his goals in wrestling are. Is the big dream to be Mick Foley? He'd be delusional to think that was ever going to happen.

• Like 1

The WWE said Show was lazy lazy when he he first came from WCW. I don't think so, He just wasnt expected to go much being a WCW main eventer straight out the gait. Most the top guys half assed their matches every week, so unless you had a ppv match you weren't expected to go all out. He did bust out a missle drop kick during a squash match during his WCW run though
He did a missile dropkick at Halloween Havoc '98 too.