DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Before Christian got hurt, I was hoping that he would be booked to feud with Cesaro over the US Title. I think Christian chasing Cesaro, winning the title from him and then losing it to Cesaro at WrestleMania would have established Cesaro as a solid mid-card act. After that, Cesaro could have been put into a program with Jericho which would help people see him as a guy that could have a World title run.

I may have been dreaming, but I swear two of these pages featured griping about Swagger's treatment like he was Benoit back in '98. Swagger is fucking awful. He looks and sounds like a doofus, is so stiff when he's moving around, his offense doesn't look all that credible for his size and at the same time, he bumps around like he should weigh about 100 lbs. more than he does. I'd have an easier time buying Swagger if he was fatter or gassed up, but as it is, he's just super awkward. If I was a geneticist though, I would somehow combine Swagger's height, gas tank, and smarmy attitude with Ryback's bulk, power move set, and pink eye.

• Like 4

Christian just had a super hot match against ADR on a pay-per-view. And another hot match against Randy last night. I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

I don't think anyone is complaining about his in-ring work, just the fact that it's all he has going for him currently. He's stale.
  • Like 1

The Swagger in Japan idea makes me slightly giddy,

I love the idea that in 20 years time a moustachioed, bitter 50 year old Jack Hagger will be stiffing rookies and being offensive to Japanese people while out of his mind in the Tokyo Dome.

• Like 2

Christian's character is "wily grizzled veteran". I have no idea why people can't see that. 

I've always held up Swagger as a guy with great potential, but after the last time they tried to pull the trigger and now him being stuck in the midcard, I see that is clearly where he's meant to stay. Cesaro is practically slumming being in a tag team with him.

^ that story above is too fucked up... how can you be nine months pregnant and nobody knows?!

Christian's character is "wily grizzled veteran". I have no idea why people can't see that. 

I've always held up Swagger as a guy with great potential, but after the last time they tried to pull the trigger and now him being stuck in the midcard, I see that is clearly where he's meant to stay. Cesaro is practically slumming being in a tag team with him.

^ that story above is too fucked up... how can you be nine months pregnant and nobody knows?!

I hate that I know this, but there used to be a show on TLC called "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant."

I think the saddest thing I've seen in recent weeks was a Christian match (I forget which one) where he started his comeback and went "Spear! Spear! Spear!" and the crowd absolutely refused to join in, so instead it was just Christian repeating "Spear! Spear! Spear!" over and over again to himself, like he'd lost his mind and was trying to make sense of the world.

To be fair, Edge had trouble getting the spear chant over as well. It took Sheamus months to get "Brogue!" over.

I do not speak or read Japanese. Can anyone give me the CliffsNotes version of what the 1/100 thing with Hiroshi Tanahashi is all about? Would be appreciated.

I personally have no idea, but am also interested in the answer. And if someone knows what Satoshi Kojima's crowd participation catchphrase when he raises his arm in the corner means, that'd be grand too.

• Like 1

I think the saddest thing I've seen in recent weeks was a Christian match (I forget which one) where he started his comeback and went "Spear! Spear! Spear!" and the crowd absolutely refused to join in, so instead it was just Christian repeating "Spear! Spear! Spear!" over and over again to himself, like he'd lost his mind and was trying to make sense of the world.

To be fair, Edge had trouble getting the spear chant over as well. It took Sheamus months to get "Brogue!" over.

And that's why someone like Sheamus is more deserving of a main event spot than someone like Christian.

I do not speak or read Japanese. Can anyone give me the CliffsNotes version of what the 1/100 thing with Hiroshi Tanahashi is all about? Would be appreciated.

I personally have no idea, but am also interested in the answer. And if someone knows what Satoshi Kojima's crowd participation catchphrase when he raises his arm in the corner means, that'd be grand too.

I think he's saying "COME ON, DUMBASS".

Saw this on Reddit...

New Japan Pro Wrestling and TV Asahi are going global.

According to Dave Meltzer, from The Wrestling Observer, NJPW has signed a deal that will bring the property to Singaporean televisions – translated in English.  No details were given as to who bought the rights from TV Asahi to broadcast the events, but it is a huge step forward for ANY Japanese pro wrestling outlet.  Prior to this, puroresu brands have been very reluctant to expand outside of Japan.  With the rise of MMA and the level of which Japanese wrestlers compete, there is likely a connection that will prove successful for the company.

NJPW took their brand to the internet this year with UStream, broadcasting shows via iPPV (internet pay-per-view) in a move that opened the doors for other companies.  Pancrase also jumped onboard the iPPV train, another huge step in globalizing these brands.

With the advent of streaming technology and the world shrinking in size (metaphorically speaking), it is multiples less expensive to get these types of deals done as variables such as satellites and acquiring a buyer of your content are steps that are able to be bypassed.

TV Asahi recently released a 20 minute video that showcased some of their biggest names, Shinsuke Nakamura, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Prince Devitt, and champ Kazuchika Okada.

Saw this on Reddit...

New Japan Pro Wrestling and TV Asahi are going global.

According to Dave Meltzer, from The Wrestling Observer, NJPW has signed a deal that will bring the property to Singaporean televisions – translated in English.  No details were given as to who bought the rights from TV Asahi to broadcast the events, but it is a huge step forward for ANY Japanese pro wrestling outlet.  Prior to this, puroresu brands have been very reluctant to expand outside of Japan.  With the rise of MMA and the level of which Japanese wrestlers compete, there is likely a connection that will prove successful for the company.

NJPW took their brand to the internet this year with UStream, broadcasting shows via iPPV (internet pay-per-view) in a move that opened the doors for other companies.  Pancrase also jumped onboard the iPPV train, another huge step in globalizing these brands.

With the advent of streaming technology and the world shrinking in size (metaphorically speaking), it is multiples less expensive to get these types of deals done as variables such as satellites and acquiring a buyer of your content are steps that are able to be bypassed.

TV Asahi recently released a 20 minute video that showcased some of their biggest names, Shinsuke Nakamura, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Prince Devitt, and champ Kazuchika Okada.

Yeah, no shit.

• Like 1

Hasn't it been reported that while the WWE is interested, Devitt isn't?  Like he likes living in his villa being a relative unknown, flying to japan doing shows and then going home and being just a dude?

I really hope that's true, because it makes him that much more awesome.

Saw this on Reddit...

New Japan Pro Wrestling and TV Asahi are going global.According to Dave Meltzer, from The Wrestling Observer, NJPW has signed a deal that will bring the property to Singaporean televisions – translated in English. No details were given as to who bought the rights from TV Asahi to broadcast the events, but it is a huge step forward for ANY Japanese pro wrestling outlet. Prior to this, puroresu brands have been very reluctant to expand outside of Japan. With the rise of MMA and the level of which Japanese wrestlers compete, there is likely a connection that will prove successful for the company.NJPW took their brand to the internet this year with UStream, broadcasting shows via iPPV (internet pay-per-view) in a move that opened the doors for other companies. Pancrase also jumped onboard the iPPV train, another huge step in globalizing these brands.With the advent of streaming technology and the world shrinking in size (metaphorically speaking), it is multiples less expensive to get these types of deals done as variables such as satellites and acquiring a buyer of your content are steps that are able to be bypassed.TV Asahi recently released a 20 minute video that showcased some of their biggest names, Shinsuke Nakamura, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Prince Devitt, and champ Kazuchika Okada.

Yeah, no shit.
I've noticed this showing up a lot lately; apparently, the fallout from the misuse of "literally" is to now overuse the use of "metaphorically." Wish I was more committed to my forum activity, I would so attach a Punk grumpy face cap from "Grammar Slam" right'chere ...

Yeah Devitt/WWE rumors have cropped up before and any time they do they usually dissipate with the reason being Devitt likes his current life style. And really I'd probably rather be in his situation than just about any other WWE guy.