DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

And he half asses it with good reason. Why should he give a real effort, when the writers don't.You give him something good and he produces good work. You give him shit and he gives it back.

That's always the attitude that leads to success in wrestling. "I'll just wait here until someone hands me something I like."
He has no obligation to break his neck getting over shit.
And they're under no obligation to give him anything when he track record is that he's not worth a shit. It's time to cut Swagger loose.

He was great in ECW and has proven he is good when given something to work with. Like really, where do you get the idea he is not worth a shit. When put in a position to deliver he does. The only reason they gave him the push this year is because they did not want him to leave. 

He was great in ECW and has proven he is good when given something to work with. Like really, where do you get the idea he is not worth a shit. When put in a position to deliver he does. The only reason they gave him the push this year is because they did not want him to leave.

Because that ECW run was 4 years ago and since then he's done nothing. I don't buy this crap that he'll turn into some golden child if they start writing stuff for him. He had the World Title. And delivered nothing. He had a prominent Wrestlemania match. And delivered nothing. If he's pouty and whiny enough to not deliver when he's not happy, he shouldn't be around.

He was great in ECW and has proven he is good when given something to work with. Like really, where do you get the idea he is not worth a shit. When put in a position to deliver he does.The only reason they gave him the push this year is because they did not want him to leave.

Because that ECW run was 4 years ago and since then he's done nothing. I don't buy this crap that he'll turn into some golden child if they start writing stuff for him. He had the World Title. And delivered nothing. He had a prominent Wrestlemania match. And delivered nothing. If he's pouty and whiny enough to not deliver when he's not happy, he shouldn't be around.

He had good matches and got the angles over thet wanted him to. Once again, he does not control the booking. 

Sure they are. They are not directly saying it, but when Swagger gets dogged for his World Title reign, that is blaming him. This was not some Miz scenario where he had every booking advantage. He was sabotaged from the start. Including being jobbed out to Santino months before he got the belt. The DUI is a non factor, as far as work goes. WWE did not give a shit one way or another about  it. 

Swagger is kind of a waste, let's be honest.  He can't talk to save his life, which didn't matter in ECW, but matters big-time on Raw/Smackdown.  And he's a terrible, shitty actor.  

That's not something that necessarily kills a wrestler, being a bad actor.  You see, back in the day, Sid Vicious was a terrible actor.  Just terrible.  He said shit that didn't make sense, he couldn't carry an interview and get across important angles, sometimes he insulted himself.  But, he was a big, scary guy, who was scary in the ring, outside the ring and just...scary.  So it didn't matter.

Jack Swagger is like Sid Vicious with better wrestling (Though I've never seen Swagger have as good of a match as Sid-Shawn Michaels...hell, I've never seen Swagger have as good of a match as either of Sid's Raw WC matches against Bret Hart) but minus the scariness.  I've never heard a guy who believes less in what he's doing than Swagger.  I mean, right now he's in a tag team with a guy from Switzerland called "The Real Americans" and the Swiss guy is more believable as a "Real American" than the guy whose nickname is "The All-American" and is ACTUALLY American!  That's how little believability Swagger projects as a wrestler.

• Like 1

Swagger is kind of a waste, let's be honest. He can't talk to save his life, which didn't matter in ECW, but matters big-time on Raw/Smackdown. And he's a terrible, shitty actor. That's not something that necessarily kills a wrestler, being a bad actor. You see, back in the day, Sid Vicious was a terrible actor. Just terrible. He said shit that didn't make sense, he couldn't carry an interview and get across important angles, sometimes he insulted himself. But, he was a big, scary guy, who was scary in the ring, outside the ring and just...scary. So it didn't matter.Jack Swagger is like Sid Vicious with better wrestling (Though I've never seen Swagger have as good of a match as Sid-Shawn Michaels...hell, I've never seen Swagger have as good of a match as either of Sid's Raw WC matches against Bret Hart) but minus the scariness. I've never heard a guy who believes less in what he's doing than Swagger. I mean, right now he's in a tag team with a guy from Switzerland called "The Real Americans" and the Swiss guy is more believable as a "Real American" than the guy whose nickname is "The All-American" and is ACTUALLY American! That's how little believability Swagger projects as a wrestler.

There's that thing in his entrance where he draws a line with his foot then stomps and yells.

Swagger seems like a guy who should be cast as the dumb-witted goon hired by the chickenshit heel who berates him for continually being outsmarted by the hero, the sort of henchman who makes you feel a bit of pity for the bad guy being surrounded by incompetents.

• Like 1

Swagger doesn't have half the charisma or presence Sid had, for one thing.  Sid wasn't amazing but at times, he looked like a draw and came across very well.  Swagger has proven after all these several years that he just isn't very interesting or worthy of a top spot.  The way they've booked him in the past doesn't matter, he just isn't extremely good.

Know what? He can control the booking somewhat. Obviously, Vince has the final say, but if he has ideas that are better than what they present him with, he could go to Vince with them.

There's a lot of stuff that is given to new guys that honestly seems like a test to see if they'll have enough of a spine to question it.  Those that do, tend to get larger pushes (Ziggler, Punk, etc.) those that don't, get less and sometimes just leave the company (Cabana, Morgan, etc.)

Swagger is the same as Ted for me, in that I'd probably enjoy the shit out of him in Japan. Tell me you can read the phrase "Sugiura vs. Swagger" and not be slightly tickled.

DiBiase Jr. had a chance to do something if the Fortunate Sons gimmick ever got off the ground, but really, he was doomed the moment Legacy broke up and Orton killed him. My 5 year old will miss him being on WWE video games though, because he is the guy my son always picks to wrestle against "because he is easy to beat."

LOL. He is the Fifa '96 Azerbaijan of wrestling games.

And he half asses it with good reason. Why should he give a real effort, when the writers don't. You give him something good and he produces good work. You give him shit and he gives it back.  

You give Cesaro shit, he produces gold. That's how you eventually get a push.

To be fair, Claudio's never been forced to gaily skip down the ramp handing toys to children, trying to get a face pop through bribery.

I think another thing Swagger lacks is (for lack of a better term) presence.  The guy is 6'7 (2 inches shorter then Sid) and yet I don't feel like he's a big guy when he's on the screen.  Heck, he can't even let out a roar/warcry that sounds convincing.  Say what you will about Sid, but when he hit the ring he was larger then life; I can't say the same about Swagger,