DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

SoCal Val is apprently gone from TNA. I like her, she's gorgeous. But I'm not really sure what they got from her that Christy Hemme doesn't provide.

Maybe it's just me, but I wish they'd released Christy and kept Val.

Hemme's at least a decent ring announcer. I'm not sure what Val was good at.

Bill Simmons is an idiot. Like they would need to create a new weight class to contain his stupidity. How did this guy get into a position that anyone values his opinion?

Aw, I enjoy Bill Simmons. I get why people wouldn't enjoy him, but he is pretty entertaining when it comes to basketball and football. I would enjoy him more if I didn't have to skip three-fourths of his columns because they are about the NBA. 

Simmons is more of an '80s WWF cartoon character wrestling fan, so that explains his "Bret Hart is boring" stance, I think 

He also said, in the same column, that he would like MitB to be the fourth PPV to make up the Big Four over Survivor Series. Personally, I prefer Elimination Chamber to MitB by miles, but I don't even think there is a traditional Big Four anymore, really. There is everything along the Road to WrestleMania and SummerSlam as far as what gets promoted like it is special. 

Just saw this newsbit from PWS and I didn't know where else to put it. RIOT IS BACK!!!

For the first time in over a decade, former televised Womens Of Wrestling star RIOT returns to the ring as she makes her PWS Bombshells debut against multi time Knockouts Champion Angelina Love on Saturday September 28th in Iselin, New Jersey and live worldwide on iPPV courtesy of Highspots.com.

Posted Image

• Like 1

From Bill Simmons' mailbag today

Q: Did I just hear on your podcast that you were "never a fan of" Bret Hart? As a lifelong follower of the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be, I'd appreciate an explanation.—Dennis, PhiladelphiaSG: Let's see … no personality, no sense of humor, wet hair, horrible entrance music, hideous wrestling outfit (pink and black?), never tweaked his gimmick, didn't get along with Shawn Michaels, "carried" the WWE during its most boring stretch of the past 40 years, sold out for WCW money, remains memorable only because of (a) the Montreal Screwjob (and the fact that he punched Vince McMahon afterward), and ( B) his phenomenal Ewing Theory credentials (the WWE took off again right after he left). Just thought he was overrated.Back to Bret Hart: His market-correction guy was "Mr. Perfect," Curt Hennig, another technically terrific wrestler who hit the WWE in the mid-1980s. I always loved the arrogant "Mr. Perfect" gimmick and thought Hennig was more interesting and entertaining than Hart, but Hart's extended wrestling family (brother Owen, brothers-in-law Jim Neidhart and British Bulldog) morphed into the Hart Foundation family, which stole good spots in every pay-per-view. With the Hitman leading the way, of course. So Hennig ended up being the Keaton to Hitman's Hanks — he never won the WWE title and eventually jumped to WCW. So not only did Bret Hart semi-bore the hell out of us in dozens of pay-per-views, he drove away his more entertaining market-correction guy. I don't hate him for it. Just can't call myself a Hitman fan. Wait, did we just spend four paragraphs on this?

Bill Simmons has worse wrestling opinions than he does basketball opinions. This is mindblowing.

• Like 1

And Alberto Del Rio rules. I think he's really underrated. Everything he does is great. He has awesome facial expressions, knows how to work a crowd (his timing at doing things like looking up and smirking while having a dude controlled in an arm bar is great) and sells really well. His picking one body part to work around is perfect. It's so simple for an audience to figure out, especially when he's in the ring with a guy like Christian who works the same sort of thing.

A rich jerk character will always win me over, too. ADR might me better off, though, playing up a Mexican Heartthrob role since he's a very good looking guy who could talk about how he could have any woman in the arena right now but they're not good enough for him. I could get into that.

Nice t see a lot of yu have love for ADR too, He got fucked royaly by not winning the WHC after winning a 40 man RR a few years ago. After they prolonged his push and hotshotted his first world title he stopped giving a fuck but I think since he beat Big Show for the WHC he stepped it up again especailly since turning back heel

I strongly disliked John Cena for a long time.Then I came to appreciate his value to the promotion.Now I love John Cena. He has good matches, puts over guys I really like, and still makes a ton of money for the company.

It doesn't hurt that he became a much better wrestler than he was when he first started in WWE

And apropos of nothing in particular, this board got so much better.once I learned I could block signatures...

• Like 1

I strongly disliked John Cena for a long time.Then I came to appreciate his value to the promotion.Now I love John Cena. He has good matches, puts over guys I really like, and still makes a ton of money for the company.

It doesn't hurt that he became a much better wrestler than he was when he first started in WWE

And apropos of nothing in particular, this board got so much better.once I learned I could block signatures...

Arn Anderson. No one ever gives Arn Anderson credit, dammit.

It seems like he thinks Bret Hart legitimately ended Mr. Perfect's career at SummerSlam or something.  He's one of those guys you could have fun winding up with a bunch of bullshit wrestling history.  He'd totally believe there were 3 Ultimate Warriors instead of just 2.

• Like 3

My friend whose house I go to PPVs for totally believes a story that Rock went home the night after WM because the plans for WM changed.

What he believes the original plans were? Rock beats Cena again, Dolph cashes in on Rock.

He continues to believe even though I remind him of the multiple reasons it's a bullshit story every time I hear him tell it.

The Perfect match took Bret from a former tag wrestler to an elite/upper card singles wrestler. Imo, it was the Piper/Davey Boy/Flair matches in 92 as a progressive series that cemented Bret as a main eventer in the eyes of the....ummm "WWF Universe" at the time.

I

• Like 1

I can't believe no one has mentioned up and coming superstar HoBo Dallas.

I think Simmons and The Masked Man should do a weekly podcast on grantland about wrestling. Working titles include 'How many times can we misuse the word postmodern?' and 'This podcast was designed to make JR die from alcohol poisoning'.

• Like 1

My friend whose house I go to PPVs for totally believes a story that Rock went home the night after WM because the plans for WM changed.What he believes the original plans were? Rock beats Cena again, Dolph cashes in on Rock.He continues to believe even though I remind him of the multiple reasons it's a bullshit story every time I hear him tell it.

Have you told him that Dolph's briefcase was NOT eligible for the WWE Championship?

The Perfect match took Bret from a former tag wrestler to an elite/upper card singles wrestler. Imo, it was the Piper/Davey Boy/Flair matches in 92 as a progressive series that cemented Bret as a main eventer in the eyes of the....ummm "WWF Universe" at the time.I

And it was the fact that Bret got more fan mail than anyone that put him in a singles position in the first place.

Who's the more awful wrestling blogger? The Masked Man or Brandon over at With Leather?

I can't believe he's still trying to work the reality angle that stemmed from the Punk promo, which was over TWO YEARS ago.