DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Road Warrior Hawk's death is the pro wrestling death that hit me the hardest because it taught me that injecting yourself with gorilla testosterone and horse steroids isn't all that good for you thus proving comic book science to be a bunch of bullshit.

And for some news involving a different kind of drug...

http://www.gwhnews.com/2013/08/what-is-pro-wrestling-business-coming-to.html

Word coming out of the Tennessee All-Pro wrestling show in McMinnville, TN Saturday night is that a local wrestler going by the name Chris Venom pissed his pants after receiving stiff chops from Bobby Lowe. Kidd reportedly then departed from the ring and the building and called 911.

The follow-up is that dude was all tweaked out on meth and that people backstage actually called 911...
http://www.gwhnews.com/2013/08/video-footage-of-wrestler-quitting-match.html

I think the thought process that went into choosing the cover photo would be more interesting to hear about, rather than the actual list.

Posted Image

That awful photo choice combined with those red splotches make it look like Cena fell out of a building and his blood is splattered all around him.  That's also a really bad choice since you'd think good photography would be the key selling point for Pro Wrestling Illustrated.  That checkerboard frame is pretty hideous too.

There was a whole month or so when Ziggler wasn't losing matches, though!

The month he was out with a concussion.

• Like 2

Recently fell in love with ADR. His SummerSlam match with Christian just stood out to me.

I think he is such a smart and safe choice for World Champion. There is just something really old school about how he carries himself in the ring, I think. He's consistently very good, but I still don't think his character has hit a stride yet.

• Like 1

ADR's character is kinda problematic in that he wins cleanly fairly often and nothing he does in-ring is very heelish. He's not even sleazy or anything...he's a handsome rich dude that smiles a lot. Then he cuts promos about being a Latino hero at Summerslam and you're not even sure if he's being sincere or insincere, since he just beat Christian fair and square and it ends up looking like a half-hearted face turn.

He's absolute gold in the ring, though. Definitely a top 5 worker in the company. 

ADR is so great as a heel in-ring though.  Because when he works the heat segment, he just relentlessly works one thing.  Usually the arm, although the Ziggler matches with him working over the head worked just as well.  He's brutal and viscous and everything he does is about that one bodypart he's targeted and I fucking love him for it.  His character does nothing for me, but it's also not overtly obnoxious like Sheamus (who is also quite good in-ring) so it's all gravy.

• Like 1

So, I've been watching a lot of the early In Your House PPV's lately & I have to say... Listening to Vince commentate on a Flash Funk match is damn brutal. Like, your drunken uncle trying to sound hip & making a dated Digital Underground reference. Also, Al Snow was working surprisingly stiff in that opener at It's Time.

Recently fell in love with ADR. His SummerSlam match with Christian just stood out to me.

I think he is such a smart and safe choice for World Champion. There is just something really old school about how he carries himself in the ring, I think. He's consistently very good, but I still don't think his character has hit a stride yet.

I've liked Alberto Del Rio since his WWE debut particularly in the ring. Agree with you and others on that and the character.

---

Thinking about wrestling comebacks good and bad. Ricky Steamboat's was great in his three matches at WrestleMania XXV, the ten man tag on RAW the next night and at Backlash 2009 against Chris Jericho.

One of the biggest recent differences in quality: Brock Lesnar's five matches compared to The Rock's five matches. Brock Lesnar's first WWE match since WrestleMania XX against John Cena at Extreme Rules 2012 was his best closely followed by the CM Punk SummerSlam 2013 match. The only match of his I didn't like was with Triple H at WrestleMania XXIX. I didn't think much to The Rock's five.

I hope Del Rio retains over RVD, he is too good in his role right now. I just wish they wouldn't overexpose him by having him on both Raw and Smackdown in matches. Keep things fresh, stick him on commentary or something. He is a way better heel than Orton at the moment.

I think that top to bottum, the WWE is better now in-ring than it ever has been. That idea got me wondering who the worst non-Diva was in the ring. Maybe Brodus Clay? I hate Miz, but he is at least capable of putting together a decent 10 minute match.

It says a lot there isn't a clear-cut answer to this question. Even though it's early, I would go with Bray Wyatt whose first two singles matches have been pretty bad. The gimmick is nice, but there's nothing to back it up in the ring it looks like. One of the other two Wyatts could easily surpass him soon, but so far, I've only seen their 3-minute slugfest with Tons of Funk which I kind of liked. They don't look like they're good for more than that, though, I'll admit.

Roman Reigns is another possibility, although it's tough to say because they book to his (limited) strengths so well. His one singles match with Orton (who has been very good this year) was a total mess and I don't think they've let him near a singles match since. Being paired with the top-10 Seth Rollins covers up a lot of his deficiencies though.

Other candidates include guys like Brodus and Titus who have shown next to nothing in the ring, but aren't doing matches longer than 5 minutes (usually tags) so they're never in anything too offensive. Then there's the criminally boring crowd like Miz, Fandango, Axel, Primo/Epico, and Kofi who are at least still competent and/or have shown flashes of break-out potential. 

I would agree that the front-end is very strong. You've got 9 guys wrestling at an elite level this year (Bryan, Cena, Punk, Del Rio, Cesaro, Christian, Rollins, Orton, Sheamus) which is probably the best since the mid 2000s. I think 2006 was a pretty strong year top-to-bottom if I remember. Cena and Edge were hitting their stride in the main event scene, and you had guys like Finlay, Benoit, Rey, Matt Hardy, and MNM tearing it up in the midcard.

I think that top to bottum, the WWE is better now in-ring than it ever has been. That idea got me wondering who the worst non-Diva was in the ring. Maybe Brodus Clay? I hate Miz, but he is at least capable of putting together a decent 10 minute match.

I tried to make a talking point a few times towards the end of last year that 2012 gave us more good televised WWE matches than we'd ever gotten in any other year. No one really latched on, but I still think it's sort of true. Maybe Superstars isn't quite is strong a show as it was last year, but Main Event's picked up the slack with a lot of Cesaro this year.