DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

What a month for prowres, G1, Summerslam. A top ten MOTY list might include like 5 from this month. Plus I still need to see Okada vs Ibushi from the DDT show yesterday and I believe Cesaro vs Generico 2/3 falls is on NXT this week.

• Like 1

Punk/Lesnar was great, but it damn sure wasn't as good as Cena/Lesnar.Cena/Bryan is pretty clearly my personal MOTY thus far.

I really don't know how you can say that. Not only is Cena/Bryan not a top 5 Cena match, but it wasn't even better than Punk/Cena from earlier this year.

What a month for prowres, G1, Summerslam. A top ten MOTY list might include like 5 from this month. Plus I still need to see Okada vs Ibushi from the DDT show yesterday and I believe Cesaro vs Generico 2/3 falls is on NXT this week.

It is indeed, Cesaro tweeted something along the lines of "Subscribe to Hulu+ (or just get the free trial) I feel like something special is airing in 2 weeks"

You are really the worst gimmick poster in the history of gimmick posters. Why can't get get guys like G.Gordon Liddy anymore? Why are we saddled with your obnoxious shtick? 

I think you're no selling FSW here.

FSW knows to stop eventually.

You are really the worst gimmick poster in the history of gimmick posters. Why can't get get guys like G.Gordon Liddy anymore? Why are we saddled with your obnoxious shtick? 

I think you're no selling FSW here.

FSW is infinitely more reasonable and tolerable (you can reason with the guy and sometimes he expresses opinions that aren't just about being a jackass), and to be honest, a lot of his worst excesses are because of this other jerk, trying to maintain some cosmic balance of me stabbing myself in the eye or something. 

You've spent hundreds and hundreds of posts building up a reputation to the point that no one sees you as anything else other than an irritating nuisance and a joke.  That's pretty impressive legwork. I wish you had worked in a soup kitchen instead or something.

• Like 1

Punk/Lesnar was great, but it damn sure wasn't as good as Cena/Lesnar.Cena/Bryan is pretty clearly my personal MOTY thus far.

I really don't know how you can say that. Not only is Cena/Bryan not a top 5 Cena match, but it wasn't even better than Punk/Cena from earlier this year.

I really liked Punk/Cena in February, but not nearly as much as I liked last night's main event.  This had, imo, a better high point (Bryan slapping Cena vs. the piledriver) and a better finish, and I enjoyed it more.

Punk, Bryan, and Cena are all in my top 5 or 6 favorite guys (with Henry, Christian, and maybe Cesaro) and I've greatly enjoyed a lot of things from all of them, but, so far in 2013, Bryan/Cena is easily my personal favorite match I've seen.

I really liked Punk/Cena in February, but not nearly as much as I liked last night's main event.  This had, imo, a better high point (Bryan slapping Cena vs. the piledriver) and a better finish, and I enjoyed it more.

I just thought that Cena/Bryan felt like a redo of all the Punk/Cena matches with Bryan's spots in place of Punk's. I also felt the Boma Ye finish was abrupt, and maybe they could have gone for one more false finish before it.

I liked the abrupt finish, thought it added a lot, with the idea that Bryan can beat you at any time, from any angle.  Plus, the knee strike was nasty as hell.

And, fwiw, I really, really loved Punk/Brock, and had been damn sure looking forward to it since the moment Lesnar first attacked Punk.  It was a god damn good match, and the only thing that really dragged it down in my view was Punk came off kind of stupid at the end when he milked it forever before punching Heyman, and then put him in a submission hold with his back to Lesnar.  Stupid stupid.  Kick him in the fucking head the second he gets in the ring, and then put the damn hold back on the nearly invincible monster you're fighting!

• Like 1

You can pick nits over which match was better and at the end of the day a case can be made for both. But here's the only thing that matters: At about 9:15 EDT the consensus (including mine) was that there was no way Cena-Bryan could match what had just happened. At 10:55 EDT, NO ONE was talking about Punk-Lesnar and in the ensuing 12 hours has become an afterthought. That's pretty impressive. The bar was sky-high and it got matched.

I liked the abrupt finish, thought it added a lot, with the idea that Bryan can beat you at any time, from any angle.  Plus, the knee strike was nasty as hell.

I liked that it was a move that we never really saw as a finisher from Bryan before. That gave it a feeling of escalation.

People on this board who are not Gonzalez: Punk/Lesnar was great! So was Cena/Bryan, but I liked Punk/Lesnar better because X.

Other people on this board who are not Gonzalez: Punk/Lesnar was great, but I liked Cena/Bryan better because Y.

People on this board who are Gonzalez: AHAHAHA FUCK YOU FSW!

• Like 2

You can pick nits over which match was better and at the end of the day a case can be made for both. But here's the only thing that matters: At about 9:15 EDT the consensus (including mine) was that there was no way Cena-Bryan could match what had just happened. At 10:55 EDT, NO ONE was talking about Punk-Lesnar and in the ensuing 12 hours has become an afterthought. That's pretty impressive. The bar was sky-high and it got matched.

But notice they were really talking about the Orton/Bryan match, and heel turn. Not the Cena/Bryan match that went 20+.