DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I'm going through my boxes upon boxes of pro wrestling VHS tapes since I finally got a VCR and I'm finding things that are absolutely mind boggling as to why I even have this shit. Green Mountain Wrestling out of Vermont, Buff fucking Bagwell's shoot, a handful of IWA-MS shows. And I've only gone through a dozen tapes. No idea why I would even have some of this shit nor do I know why anyone else would, completely bizarre.

God only knows what I'm going to find next. I haven't even started on the boxes from my cousin who was one of the more popular tape traders (I guess?) 10-15 years ago.

I'm going through my boxes upon boxes of pro wrestling VHS tapes since I finally got a VCR and I'm finding things that are absolutely mind boggling as to why I even have this shit. Green Mountain Wrestling out of Vermont, Buff fucking Bagwell's shoot, a handful of IWA-MS shows. And I've only gone through a dozen tapes. No idea why I would even have some of this shit nor do I know why anyone else would, completely bizarre.God only knows what I'm going to find next. I haven't even started on the boxes from my cousin who was one of the more popular tape traders (I guess?) 10-15 years ago.

If no comp comes from this, 'tis all for naught, NAUGHT I say!

Saw Sabu in action tonight, which is the first of two shows I'll be seeing him at this weekend. His match against Jimmy Havoc was a pure crowd pleaser, with ring dives, tables and Havoc being a bloody mess by the end of it. Looking forward to his match vs Wild Boar on Sunday.Curiously though, I think Super Crazy got the louder reaction from the crowd pleaser

Can't wait till I get to call a Sabu match live in less than a month!

HEY! IMPORTANT QUESTION!

What's Koko B. Ware's best match?

This might not have been his greatest match, but this definitely shows how great of a heel he was when he hit his stride.

And Jae, you'll appreciate his PUNCHES!!!

Koko had a lot of good matches and was good as a fiery face. The problem is he was mostly in tags in memphis and his best stuff wasn't shown since Memphis didn't show full matches from MSC. The other issue is that once he joined the WWF, he mostly either squashed or got squashed.

At one time there was a Koko and Bobby Eaton team. That was wrestling goodness right there.

An intersting match becasue it feels like it was spit out randomlyTerry Taylor and Jacques Rougeau vs Koko and Bobby Eatonhttp://youtu.be/3pU3hOHjprM

Admittedly, it does seem random, but Koko/Eaton and Taylor/Rougeau were regular teams in Mid South in the early 80's (though a couple of those guys wrestled under different names/gimmicks back then). 

Was Raymond in Canada?

Yeah, Raymond never worked the US territories much, that I'm aware of (he did make a few appearances in the south during the early 80's).  Prior to signing with the WWF, Raymond spent the 80's headlining cards in Canada - mostly for the IWA in Montreal.  Jacques went down south and wrestled in Memphis (and other territories in the region) under the name "Jerry Rogers".  A couple of years before the WWE signed them, Jacques went back to Canada and started tagging with Raymond under his real name.

An intersting match becasue it feels like it was spit out randomlyTerry Taylor and Jacques Rougeau vs Koko and Bobby Eaton

Admittedly, it does seem random, but Koko/Eaton and Taylor/Rougeau were regular teams in Mid South in the early 80's (though a couple of those guys wrestled under different names/gimmicks back then).
I believe they both held the tag ttitles in Memphis, but on paper, from 2013, it sounds like a Battlebowl match. :)And Bobby and Koko also feuded all the way back in 1980 over the TV title (also on youtube).

Mostly when JBL says something about Zeb it is an insider joke that the marks would get.  For example when Cesaro joined the group JBL mentioned twice that he just learned to speak Dutch.  Get it get  wink wink.   So I doubt there is supposed to be a connection from Mantel's old WWE characters

• Like 1

Does anyone have a match listing for the "Best of WWE at MSG" dvd and bluray coming out on the 26th?

Full match listing:

Disc 1

*50 Years of History

*Ivan Koloff

WWE Championship MatchIvan Koloff vs. Pedro Morales8th February, 1971

*Bruno Sammartino

WWE Championship MatchSuperstar Billy Graham vs. Bruno Sammartino27th June, 1977

*Bob Backlund

Texas Death Match for the WWE ChampionshipBob Backlund vs. Ken Patera19th May, 1980

*Harley Race

Match for the Undisputed Heavyweight Wrestling ChampionshipWWE Champion, Bob Backlund vs. NWA Champion, Harley Race22nd September, 1980

*The Iron Sheik

WWE Championship MatchThe Iron Sheik vs. Hulk Hogan23rd January, 1984

*Sgt. Slaughter

Boot Camp MatchSgt. Slaughter vs. The Iron Sheik16th June, 1984

Disc 2

*A Date Forever Etched in History

*Vince McMahon

Hulk Hogan & Mr. T vs. “Rowdy” Roddy Piper & “Mr. Wonderful” Paul OrndorffWrestleMania – 31st March, 1985

*Bob Uecker

Andre the Giant & “Mr. Wonderful” Paul Orndorff vs. “Rowdy” Roddy Piper & “Cowboy” Bob Orton10th August, 1985

*The Miz

Intercontinental Championship MatchHonky Tonk Man vs. The Ultimate WarriorSummerSlam – 29th August, 1988

*Bret Hart

Intercontinental Championship MatchBret “Hitman” Hart vs. Mr. PerfectSummerSlam – 26th August, 1991

*Howard Finkel

Ladder Match for the Intercontinental ChampionshipShawn Michaels vs. Razor RamonWrestleMania X – 20th March, 1994

*Kevin Nash

WWE Championship MatchBob Backlund vs. Diesel26th November, 1994

Disc 3

*Under The Iconic Lights

*The Rock

Traditional Survivor Series Elimination MatchRocky Maivia, “Wildman” Marc Mero, The Stalker, & Jake “The Snake” Roberts vs. Hunter Hearst Helmsley, Crush, Goldust, & Jerry “The King” LawlerSurvivor Series – 17th November, 1996

*Vince McMahon

Stone Cold Stuns The BossRaw – 22nd September, 1997

*Mick Foley

Falls Count Anywhere MatchHunter Hearst Helmsley vs. Cactus JackRaw – 22nd September, 1997

*Jim Ross

1st Ever Tag Team Tables MatchThe Dudley Boyz vs. The Hardy BoyzRoyal Rumble – 23rd January, 2000

*Daniel Bryan

#1 Contender Triple Threat MatchTriple H vs. Kurt Angle vs. Chris JerichoRaw – 7th August, 2000

*Booker T

Booker T Attacks Mr. McMahonRaw – 25th June, 2001

*Triple H

Triple H ReturnsRaw – 7th January, 2002

*Big Show

United States Championship MatchBig Show vs. John CenaWrestleMania XX – 14th March, 2004

*Trish Stratus

Trish Stratus vs. Mickie JamesRaw – 11th September, 2006

*John Cena

John Cena Returns in the Royal Rumble MatchRoyal Rumble – 27th January, 2008

*Shawn Michaels

Triple Threat Tag Team MatchD-Generation-X vs. Jeri-Show vs. John Cena & The UndertakerRaw – 16th November, 2009

*Great Moments Happen Here

Blu-Ray Exclusives:

*Gerald Brisco

Steel Cage MatchBruno Sammartino & Tito Santana vs. Randy “Macho Man” Savage & “Adorable” Adrian Adonis12th July, 1986

*Ted DiBiase

Intercontinental Championship MatchBret “Hitman” Hart vs. “Million Dollar Man” Ted DiBiase29th December, 1991

*Alberto Del Rio

WWE Championship MatchAlberto Del Rio vs. CM PunkSurvivor Series – 20th November, 2011

Extra Stories:Trish StratusKen PateraMr. FujiRoad Warrior AnimalBarry WindhamKoko B. WareRicky SteamboatSikaRocky JohnsonEdgeBrooklyn Brawler

Vince McMahon MSG Walk of Fame Induction

Today in wrestling history (according to the Observer)

1986 - Nikita Koloff defeated Magnum T.A. in the seventh match of abest-of-seven series in Charlotte, North Carolina to claim the vacantNWA United States Heavyweight Title.

Match 4 is on youtube, but I didn't immediately find Match 7.

Perhaps my favorite David Crockett moment

"the Russian Nightmare has come true, Tony"

• Like 2