DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I recall going to an ROH show in 2007 or so.  Someone kept yelling "faggot" at Jimmy Jacobs, and that person was promptly shouted down by a large number of people in the crowd.  So I'd say Philly is alot cooler with it than most people would expect.

No they look down on it, because it is enjoyed by the poor in large numbers. That is pretty much it. So being sick I really can't do anything but watch videos. I watched the Jake Roberts commercial tape from 1987. I always new Jake was good, but he was really great and the video got that across. He had matches with Steamboat, Honky Tonk Man, JYD, Bundy and Kamala and they were all good. But what's more, they were all different.matches. There was this TNT segment where he was showing off his snake collection and he kept the audience enthralled. He never once seemed intimidated by the animals.So disappointing that the Hogan feud was axed. But Jake was a guy that was simply too good at playing heel to stay one. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em0dVXX51kw

I think this is probably my favorite angle of all time.  Jake is SOOOO amazing at this time.  He comes across as so crazed and sadistic yet totally in control of everything.  The camera guys did a great job here conveying the chaos of what's going in the ring.  Elizabeth and Piper on the outside losing their minds.  Just perfect.

The referee that tries to stop Macho from getting in the ring and eventually grabs his leg is Roger Ruffen, a guy who worked as a ref for the fed for quite awhile (he can also be seen reffing Piper vs Bret at WM8)  He is a long time wrestler and promoter and runs very successfully here in the Cincinnati area.  I worked for him for about 4 or 5 years.  I had a good laugh with him once basically accusing him of single handedly getting Macho Man bit by a cobra.......he grabs the leg which distracts Randy long enough for Jake to blindside him. 

Interestingly, he said for all the time he spent working there, that the only extended conversation he ever had with Vince McMahon was that night before this, as they were all together going over the segment. 

• Like 1

Meltzer is reporting Brooke Hogan has been fired from TNA.

Hmm, she doesn't even get a snappy comeback to...

on next week's TNA, Bully says he's with Brooke, then brings out Brooke Tessmacher, makes out with her and says something about finally getting the hot Brooke

So you have heard of no rope matches.  How about a no ring match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lYMZ-YEJqyw

George South is one carny kind of guy but pretty funny and still a solid worker. 

I worked a no-ring show on Kodiak Island in Alaska when I toured with Disco Inferno and Virgil back in 2003. Instead it was gym mats surrounded by caution tape. It might've actually had more give than the boxing rings we were in the rest of the tour.

In Bret Hart's book he tells a story about Harley Race coming up to Calgary to do some shows for his dad during the Stampede and on the first one the ring hadn't shown up so Harley ended up wrestling a match on a high school wrestling mat.

Saw Sabu in action tonight, which is the first of two shows I'll be seeing him at this weekend. His match against Jimmy Havoc was a pure crowd pleaser, with ring dives, tables and Havoc being a bloody mess by the end of it. Looking forward to his match vs Wild Boar on Sunday.

Curiously though, I think Super Crazy got the louder reaction from the crowd pleaser

I'm actually only watching the TMZ video of Darren right now.I don't doubt he's gay.

But I definitely think how he came out is a work. Here's what set off my carny radar:1) First, why is a TMZ interviewer asking Darren Young something? And, out of all the things he's asking, the interview decides to have a conversation about homosexuality?

2) Darren Young and a TMZ dude with a video camera are both at LAX by themselves? That's the tip-off right there. There's no one around to screw up the sound/lighting/etc.

I'm actually only watching the TMZ video of Darren right now.I don't doubt he's gay.

But I definitely think how he came out is a work. Here's what set off my carny radar:1) First, why is a TMZ interviewer asking Darren Young something? And, out of all the things he's asking, the interview decides to have a conversation about homosexuality?

2) Darren Young and a TMZ dude with a video camera are both at LAX by themselves? That's the tip-off right there. There's no one around to screw up the sound/lighting/etc.

Thought the same, but really that's the least important thing IMO.

My first thought was that this was that "Vince wants to work TMZ" thing that Dave was asying after the Orton nutshot thing.  But I didn't post that because I was ashamed for thinking it.

If it was, then too bad.  Too many people are happy about this.  You better stay gay Darren Young.

It happens ALL the time at LAX. Baggage claim (where he likely was) isn't that crowded, except around the conveyor belt. Especially at night. TMZ is local to LA and generally has a dude stationed at the airport. Last time I specifically saw 'em, they were interviewing Tom Arnold while I picked a friend up.

That being said, I don't doubt that the company set it up with them ahead of time. 

I have a Japanese match from several years back with I want to say somebody like Shinobu? in a tiny room with no ring. Everyone just surrounds them, and they do highspots off chairs and a window in the wall. Had to have got it from Ditch or FLIK or Lenny. It's funny and actually pretty damn good. 

We also cannot forget the greatness of Survival Tobita vs. KEN THE BOX

• Like 1