DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Anyway, good on Darren for going public. Gotta love the irony in the doppelganger of John Cena, reputed to be one of the E's biggest man-whores, happening to be gay.

Darren Young is truly the Anti-Matter Universe version of Cena.

Does that mean that Darren Young would also have to stay celibate to be the perfect Anti-Cena?

Darren was actually on the Today Show with Matt Lauer this morning. Good segment and he came off really well as someone who's 100% comfortable in his own skin, but I had to laugh at how none of the wrestling footage actually had him, you know, winning a match or anything.

Nah man there have been a few noticable instances recently (past six weeks I'd say) where the crowd has loudly chimed in on "We the People." Philadelphia was most notable but its happened on a couple of TV's too.

But they totally boo him UNTIL he says We the People. I think people are just conditioned to say people's catch phrases. They were doing it with the Rock when he was heel. Wrestling fans just can't stop themselves when they see something they know. It's like they get to use this horribly useless knowledge for once in their lives. I sat next to a guy at DGUSA show who called the name of every fucking move in every match. He was alone and was speaking to no one in particular. He just had to say it because maybe someone would go "Oh hey, you know wrestling things, let's be friends." I don't remember where I was going with this.

Nah man there have been a few noticable instances recently (past six weeks I'd say) where the crowd has loudly chimed in on "We the People." Philadelphia was most notable but its happened on a couple of TV's too.

But they totally boo him UNTIL he says We the People. I think people are just conditioned to say people's catch phrases. They were doing it with the Rock when he was heel. Wrestling fans just can't stop themselves when they see something they know. It's like they get to use this horribly useless knowledge for once in their lives. I sat next to a guy at DGUSA show who called the name of every fucking move in every match. He was alone and was speaking to no one in particular. He just had to say it because maybe someone would go "Oh hey, you know wrestling things, let's be friends."I don't remember where I was going with this.

You were going to make a Rain Man reference, then make fun of Philly fans.

• Like 1

But they totally boo him UNTIL he says We the People. I think people are just conditioned to say people's catch phrases. They were doing it with the Rock when he was heel. Wrestling fans just can't stop themselves when they see something they know. It's like they get to use this horribly useless knowledge for once in their lives. I sat next to a guy at DGUSA show who called the name of every fucking move in every match. He was alone and was speaking to no one in particular. He just had to say it because maybe someone would go "Oh hey, you know wrestling things, let's be friends."I don't remember where I was going with this.

There was this kid at a Jake/Steamboat match that kept going "JAKE THE SNAKE!!!!". I kept waiting for Jake to say "I know my fucking name."

Anyway, good on Darren for going public. Gotta love the irony in the doppelganger of John Cena, reputed to be one of the E's biggest man-whores, happening to be gay.

Darren Young is truly the Anti-Matter Universe version of Cena.

Does that mean that Darren Young would also have to stay celibate to be the perfect Anti-Cena?

FWIW there are plenty of anti-gay preachers who suggest that gays should go through life celibate and miserable rather than, you know, fall in love and find that right person for themselves,

1) The We The People chant confirms Pavlov's findings. Zeb's largely met with some boos and indifference. This is largely because the WWE Universe is trying to get their news from him since it's the only time they're exposed to current issues.

2) The WWE is going to use this as much as they can. It will be an angle. Is there any doubt about it? Darren Young just made himself a household name and they have a chance to make money off of him. Darren Young: Open homosexual who is in a jobber tag team makes this go away in a week or two. Darren Young: Open Homosexual Attacked By Heels For His Sexuality keeps this in the media's glare for a long time. I wouldn't be shocked if Darren had one of the lesser singles titles by the end of the week.

3) Don't slag on Philly too much. We have a well-deserved reputation. But we also have a huge gay presence in town. There's a neighborhood downtown called The Gayborhood. There was an attempt to rebrand it as something more generic but people -- and not just gays -- refused to let that happen. There might be some mooks who say something awful to Darren Young but I guarantee they'll be met with a bad reaction and will also get kicked out -- and maybe their asses kicked. That stuff doesn't fly here too much anymore.

FWIW there are plenty of anti-gay preachers who suggest that gays should go through life celibate and miserable rather than, you know, fall in love and find that right person for themselves,

In the grand scheme of things, I suppose that should be considered progress in terms of preachers' views on homosexuality.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy Philly crowds. Now, whichever crowd started the "Husky Harris" chants for Bray Wyatt can fuck off. Wait, that sounds exactly like something Philly fans would do. *torn*

3) Don't slag on Philly too much. We have a well-deserved reputation. But we also have a huge gay presence in town. There's a neighborhood downtown called The Gayborhood. There was an attempt to rebrand it as something more generic but people -- and not just gays -- refused to let that happen. There might be some mooks who say something awful to Darren Young but I guarantee they'll be met with a bad reaction and will also get kicked out -- and maybe their asses kicked. That stuff doesn't fly here too much anymore.

How would Philly wrestling fans have reacted to, say, a tag team with a flamboyantly gay gimmick in ECW?

How would Philly wrestling fans have reacted to, say, a tag team with a flamboyantly gay gimmick in ECW?

The Christopher Street Connection worked the Philly area for years and from all the (albeit limited) footage I saw of them, they never got booed for being gay, just mediocre workers.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy Philly crowds. Now, whichever crowd started the "Husky Harris" chants for Bray Wyatt can fuck off. Wait, that sounds exactly like something Philly fans would do. *torn*

You can be un-torn, because the Wyatt family debuted in Baltimore.

The Christopher Street Connection worked the Philly area for years and from all the (albeit limited) footage I saw of them, they never got booed for being gay, just mediocre workers.

I'll always remember Arashi losing his shit for the CSC gimmick in Philadelphia when Mace worked Punk at Final Battle 2003.

Google tells me that someone who has a copy of 2002's Ring of Honor: A Night of Appreciation should watch the CSC match and give us a report on the Philly crowd's response.

Super nerd filing question. When a guy under goes a name change do you ever keep using the Indy name? For some reason I usually stick with the name I became familier with. There are a couple exceptions but for example PAC is still PAC on all my file descriptions.

If memory serves, having been at those Philly ROH shows that the CSC worked, they were pretty damn over despite being mediocre workers.  Shit, Hernendez even tagged with them once and played along.

Super nerd filing question. When a guy under goes a name change do you ever keep using the Indy name? For some reason I usually stick with the name I became familier with. There are a couple exceptions but for example PAC is still PAC on all my file descriptions.

I have a problem with Daniel Bryan sometimes. I type Brian and then look at it and think to myself "well that doesn't look quite right."

I have a problem with Daniel Bryan sometimes. I type Brian and then look at it and think to myself "well that doesn't look quite right."

Yeah, Danielson is the one I still have trouble with. I still call Seth Rollins Tyler Black.

Weirdly though, I usually don't even remember that Dean Ambrose's real name is Jon Moxley.

I remember when I thought Daniel Bryan was the weirdest sounding shit in the world and I'd never say it, but I don't really remember the last time his name came out of my mouth as Bryan Danielson. The same thing's slowly happening with Claudio. I don't even remember what CM Punk was called in the indies.

• Like 2

Yeah, Danielson is the one I still have trouble with. I still call Seth Rollins Tyler Black.

Weirdly though, I usually don't even remember that Dean Ambrose's real name is Jon Moxley.

Well, it isn't, so no harm done.

I refer to him as Tensai because I prefer to refer to performers by the name they are currently using.  Otherwise, I'd be one of those douchebags who chant "Husky Harris" at Bray Wyatt.  When talking about past performance, I prefer to use the name that the wrestler was using at that time, because it helps place that wrestler within the historical context that I am referring to.

If I refer to a current wrestler by one of his past names, that usually means that I am intentionally being disrespectful.  Sometimes, it means that his name is annoying to type, such as Trent Barreta going by his real name in TNA.

• Like 1