DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I mean people already look down on the wrasslin business

More look down on it because of shit like Billy and Chuck than in spite of it.

Anyway, good on Darren for going public. Gotta love the irony in the doppelganger of John Cena, reputed to be one of the E's biggest man-whores, happening to be gay.

Darren Young is truly the Anti-Matter Universe version of Cena.

• Like 1

No they look down on it, because it is enjoyed by the poor in large numbers. That is pretty much it. So being sick I really can't do anything but watch videos. I watched the Jake Roberts commercial tape from 1987. I always new Jake was good, but he was really great and the video got that across. He had matches with Steamboat, Honky Tonk Man, JYD, Bundy and Kamala and they were all good. But what's more, they were all different.matches. There was this TNT segment where he was showing off his snake collection and he kept the audience enthralled. He never once seemed intimidated by the animals.So disappointing that the Hogan feud was axed. But Jake was a guy that was simply too good at playing heel to stay one. 

Am I wrong in thinking WWE has some sort of agreement with TMZ? They've covered WWE a bit more the last year or so, and some of it has to be stuff that they leak out to them to let them get.

Like how they were just there the moment HHH decided to debut his haircut, or the Darren Young thing.

No they look down on it, because it is enjoyed by the poor in large numbers. That is pretty much it. So being sick I really can't do anything but watch videos. I watched the Jake Roberts commercial tape from 1987. I always new Jake was good, but he was really great and the video got that across. He had matches with Steamboat, Honky Tonk Man, JYD, Bundy and Kamala and they were all good. But what's more, they were all different.matches. There was this TNT segment where he was showing off his snake collection and he kept the audience enthralled. He never once seemed intimidated by the animals.So disappointing that the Hogan feud was axed. But Jake was a guy that was simply too good at playing heel to stay one. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em0dVXX51kw

I think this is probably my favorite angle of all time.  Jake is SOOOO amazing at this time.  He comes across as so crazed and sadistic yet totally in control of everything.  The camera guys did a great job here conveying the chaos of what's going in the ring.  Elizabeth and Piper on the outside losing their minds.  Just perfect.

• Like 1

Am I wrong in thinking WWE has some sort of agreement with TMZ? They've covered WWE a bit more the last year or so, and some of it has to be stuff that they leak out to them to let them get. Like how they were just there the moment HHH decided to debut his haircut, or the Darren Young thing.

You would not be wrong. You'd be observant. :)

That segment freaked me out as a kid and is still unsettling. Jake never looks like he is not in full control. And Jake changed his character when he turned heel in 91. To avoid getting cheered like he was in 87. But instead of doing some Jericho esque hack work. He created a new character organically. 

• Like 1

I fucking hate snakes, so that segment has always freaked me out.  The deal where they're finally getting Savage on the stretcher, and the snake is sitting up in front of Jake is a great visual.  So out of character for WWF at that time.

I mean people already look down on the wrasslin business

More look down on it because of shit like Billy and Chuck than in spite of it.

Anyway, good on Darren for going public. Gotta love the irony in the doppelganger of John Cena, reputed to be one of the E's biggest man-whores, happening to be gay.

Darren Young is truly the Anti-Matter Universe version of Cena.

Are you suggesting that all gay men are sex-crazed maniacs who chase dick the way Cena chases tail?

I fucking hate snakes, so that segment has always freaked me out.  The deal where they're finally getting Savage on the stretcher, and the snake is sitting up in front of Jake is a great visual.  So out of character for WWF at that time.

And I like how there was character progression.  You get the feeling that Jake snapped after Quake killed Damien. Which is another 91 WWF segment that was upsetting. 

• Like 1

Am I wrong in thinking WWE has some sort of agreement with TMZ? They've covered WWE a bit more the last year or so, and some of it has to be stuff that they leak out to them to let them get.

Like how they were just there the moment HHH decided to debut his haircut, or the Darren Young thing.

One of the dudes on staff is a huge smark. He's even worn a couple of Colt Cabana T-shirts live on air. I assume he's responsible for most of the wrestling related content.

That SNME angle with Steamboat was genius. Jake was heading on an upward trajectory anyway but he, the DDT and the snake all got over like a motherfucker in under 5 minutes.

Good on Darren Young. More tolerance and acceptance of others makes for a better world.

If I sign on to the board on my work computer tomorrow and find that you have a cute animal .GIF for a sig, you are so the first entry on my DVDVRMB Friend List 2.0.
  • Like 1

One of the dudes on staff is a huge smark. He's even worn a couple of Colt Cabana T-shirts live on air. I assume he's responsible for most of the wrestling related content.

The one dude whose brother just died is a big wrestling guy. I imagine that's who you're talking about.

I don't see how anyone suggesting they make an angle of the Darren Young situation doesn't see what an unfathomably stupid idea that is - WWE audiences chant along with Zeb Colter's catchphrase. Are you people insane?

(Cue another unnecessary BigFresh non-response. You gnash them teeth, brother. We see you.)

• Like 1

I don't see how anyone suggesting they make an angle of the Darren Young situation doesn't see what an unfathomably stupid idea that is - WWE audiences chant along with Zeb Colter's catchphrase. Are you people insane?

I'm kind of rooting for an embarrassing train-wreck response.  Maybe Philly fans can chant "This is awesome!!!" during a beatdown of Darren Young.  Then, Cena can make the save and have people boo him while makes a pro-gay "Be a star" promo.

And, yes, I am insane.  And unmedicated.

That SNME angle with Steamboat was genius. Jake was heading on an upward trajectory anyway but he, the DDT and the snake all got over like a motherfucker in under 5 minutes.

On the Jake DVD, he said he was against doing the DDT on the floor. Since there was no way to do it safely. Steamboat was legit knocked out. They had some fantastic chemistry,. Better than Steamboat and Savage or Steamboat and Flair. Jake and Honky at WM 3 is a really good match. They went in there and did not hold anything back. I think it was the second best match on the card. 

What show are you watching? Colten's group is met with a staggering wave of indifference.