DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Hey! There's a great podcast called Jason Sims Puts You In Your Place where this dude Jason Sims (aka Jason From Huntsville from the awesome The Best Show WFMU) interviews folks about where they're from. He's interviewed Jon Hodgman, Tom Scharpling, Chris Gethard and a bunch of others.I subbed in this week and interviewed ZIA HILTEY. Chikara people know her as the ringside photographer. She also had an exhibit recently in Philly of wrestlers that was awesome.

http://sliceradio.com.au/jason-sims-puts-you-in-your-place/37-zia-hiltey-jason-sims-puts-you-in-your-place-with-guest-host-gregg-gethard/#utm_source=feed&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=feed

• Like 1

Hey! There's a great podcast called Jason Sims Puts You In Your Place where this dude Jason Sims (aka Jason From Huntsville from the awesome The Best Show WFMU) interviews folks about where they're from. He's interviewed Jon Hodgman, Tom Scharpling, Chris Gethard and a bunch of others.I subbed in this week and interviewed ZIA HILTEY. Chikara people know her as the ringside photographer. She also had an exhibit recently in Philly of wrestlers that was awesome.

http://sliceradio.com.au/jason-sims-puts-you-in-your-place/37-zia-hiltey-jason-sims-puts-you-in-your-place-with-guest-host-gregg-gethard/#utm_source=feed&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=feed

Does it make me a bad person that I've never heard of any of the people you mentioned?

• Like 1

I find only people who do shitty shows, say that.

My shows have been not shitty but amazingly mediocre with bursts of hilarity, sir. And you know what I mean. You have to kinda turn off your brain to escape into the awesomeness that is pro wrestling. It's not a bad thing, it's a wonderful thing.

Hey! There's a great podcast called Jason Sims Puts You In Your Place where this dude Jason Sims (aka Jason From Huntsville from the awesome The Best Show WFMU) interviews folks about where they're from. He's interviewed Jon Hodgman, Tom Scharpling, Chris Gethard and a bunch of others.

I subbed in this week and interviewed ZIA HILTEY. Chikara people know her as the ringside photographer. She also had an exhibit recently in Philly of wrestlers that was awesome.

Does it make me a bad person that I've never heard of any of the people you mentioned?

Yes. Specifically, John Hodgman, eccentric millionaire and holder of all world knowledge.

Posted Image

Many people might remember him like this, though:

Posted Image

As stated below, Jon Hodgman's a comedy-type person who is hysterical and the best.Tom Scharpling hosts the amazing Best Show on WFMU (my favorite comedy thing in the world). He also used to produce/write Monk. He's directed a bunch of videos for people like Kurt Vile, Real Estate, Ted Leo and a bunch more.Chris Gethard's a NYC-based comedian. He's best known for hosting a cable access show The Chris Gethard Show on Manhattan's public access channel. Colt Cabana has been a guest a few times. (As have folks like Andrew WK, Bobby Moynihan, Amy Pohler and a bunch more.) He got his start at the Upright Citizen's Brigade Theater. He was on The Office a few times in its final season (as an assassin hired by Dwight). He was also on a Comedy Central show Big Lake w/ Horatio Sanz and Chris Parnell. He's probably best known for convincing P. Diddy over Twitter to do a stage version of The Chris Gethard Show. (Also, I have to plug Chris since he's my younger brother. It's a long-running joke that I have to always plug him.)The aforementioned Ted Leo has also been on this podcast. He's one of the great musicians of the past few decades. So has Jake Fogelnest (former host of MTV's Squirt TV, does a lot of stuff for Sirius radio).I interviewed Zia. She's a Philly-based photographer who takes pictures for Chikara. She also had an exhibit up of her wrestling photos over the years. She's super talented and a great friend.

Didn't THINK I'd commented about punches previously...if I did, I apologize.

It was actually Overly Critical Man, whoever that is, but I am sticking to my guns.

World's changing Matt. Punches are out, old chum. It's all about lungblowers and back crackers.

It was actually Overly Critical Man, whoever that is, but I am sticking to my guns.

World's changing Matt. Punches are out, old chum. It's all about lungblowers and back crackers.

I'm actually not a big punches guy, or really a huge execution guy in general. Wrestling is symbolism. I'm not as much of a proponent as Old Man Sorrow of "if the fans are into it, it's good," but when it comes to strikes/execution my general feeling is "if the fans buy it, it's fine" with anything better than that as extra credit. I know that there are others who strongly disagree with me though. I definitely care more about structure/theory than execution.

• Like 1

I'm actually not a big punches guy, or really a huge execution guy in general. Wrestling is symbolism. I'm not as much of a proponent as Old Man Sorrow of "if the fans are into it, it's good," but when it comes to strikes/execution my general feeling is "if the fans buy it, it's fine" with anything better than that as extra credit. I know that there are others who strongly disagree with me though. I definitely care more about structure/theory than execution.

Same here man. If I wanted to see good punches I'd be into boxing or MMA. I mean, if I see a stiff punch I'm cool with it like anyone else but I don't need it. I'm suspending my disbelief and am totally fine with seeing completely pulled punches. I thought it was hilarious when the Internet went nuts about Cena's hurucanrana and how sloppy it was -- who gives a crap, it was completely awesome.

• Like 1

Hey! There's a great podcast called Jason Sims Puts You In Your Place where this dude Jason Sims (aka Jason From Huntsville from the awesome The Best Show WFMU) interviews folks about where they're from. He's interviewed Jon Hodgman, Tom Scharpling, Chris Gethard and a bunch of others.

I subbed in this week and interviewed ZIA HILTEY. Chikara people know her as the ringside photographer. She also had an exhibit recently in Philly of wrestlers that was awesome.

Yes. Specifically, John Hodgman, eccentric millionaire and holder of all world knowledge.

Posted Image

Many people might remember him like this, though:

Posted Image

Also, as I learned from the latest Dana Gould Podcast, afraid of underwater mechanics.

Watching "Best of Nitro" vol. 2, and what a harsh reminder of how ... just ... the depths of foul judgment lies just out my grasp ... to describe how awful Zybysko is in booth. It seems as if every match he's on, he's on about the "human game of chess," as opposed to the "robot game of chess" or the game of human chess (which is what I assume he really means ... ass).

If you think he's bad on Nitro, you should pray that you never stumble onto a later run WCW Worldwide match on Youtube, if your overdubbed commentary team is Hudson and Zybysko, just mute the fucking thing.
oh man Zybysko on Worldwide. I can still hear him saying "Is he a millennium man...or millennium mouse?" With this smug look like this was the most brilliant statement.

Actually, I should have waited a little bit longer, because then, instead of bitching about how bad he was, I would have just posted a query:

Which is the worst Zybysko comment of these two:

1) During the Misterio/Juventud/Garza vs. Parka/Psicosis/Silver King match, he poses the explanation for the luchadores quickness as a result of their flight from the "federales" during their youth; or,

2) During the Scott Hall/Bam Bam Bigelow ladder match for a shock-stick, Zybysko dismisses a statement to the fortitude of both men in this grueling match by exclaiming, "So what, I could go down there and break both their necks?"

Polls in your area ARE open ...

(And it was Heenan who got throat cancer ... fucking lack of justice in the world ...)

I love good punches. It's such a simple move - punch a guy in the face - and yet it's so difficult to get right. Some guys should never punch ever. That being said, good punches don't make the wrestler or the match, but I like seeing good execution - that has a value with me. 

If a wrestler isn't good at executing something they shouldn't do it, but there's exceptions within context. Cena's hurricanrana worked for me because within the context of the match he was trying something he'd never done before to beat a tough opponent. If it was a consistent part of his arsenal like Dragon Kid and his huricanranas, I'd expect better, but for a one off it worked. HOWEVER, Cena's STF is a whole other story.

• Like 2

Same here man. If I wanted to see good punches I'd be into boxing or MMA. I mean, if I see a stiff punch I'm cool with it like anyone else but I don't need it. I'm suspending my disbelief and am totally fine with seeing completely pulled punches. I thought it was hilarious when the Internet went nuts about Cena's hurucanrana and how sloppy it was -- who gives a crap, it was completely awesome.

Interesting fact, most real punches look like shit. 

Speaking of which, am I the only one who hated Steve Austin's punches? Especially in the corner.

NO YOU ARE NOT. When he'd do the toe-to-toe punch off, I'd shake my head. Looked like he was cat pawing guys.

• Like 1

Watching "Best of Nitro" vol. 2, and what a harsh reminder of how ... just ... the depths of foul judgment lies just out my grasp ... to describe how awful Zybysko is in booth. It seems as if every match he's on, he's on about the "human game of chess," as opposed to the "robot game of chess" or the game of human chess (which is what I assume he really means ... ass).

If you think he's bad on Nitro, you should pray that you never stumble onto a later run WCW Worldwide match on Youtube, if your overdubbed commentary team is Hudson and Zybysko, just mute the fucking thing.
oh man Zybysko on Worldwide. I can still hear him saying "Is he a millennium man...or millennium mouse?" With this smug look like this was the most brilliant statement.

Actually, I should have waited a little bit longer, because then, instead of bitching about how bad he was, I would have just posted a query:

Which is the worst Zybysko comment of these two:

1) During the Misterio/Juventud/Garza vs. Parka/Psicosis/Silver King match, he poses the explanation for the luchadores quickness as a result of their flight from the "federales" during their youth; or,

2) During the Scott Hall/Bam Bam Bigelow ladder match for a shock-stick, Zybysko dismisses a statement to the fortitude of both men in this grueling match by exclaiming, "So what, I could go down there and break both their necks?"

Polls in your area ARE open ...

(And it was Heenan who got throat cancer ... fucking lack of justice in the world ...)

Regarding #2, it's curious to me how Zbyszko suddenly became a shooter when he started feuding with the NWO.  Granted, I'd only seen him as a babyface during his brief comeback in 1994, but for much of his career his "moveset" consisted mainly of stalling, "martial arts" kicks, and foreign objects.

I was going to basically say exactly what Jae did about Cena's 'rana. It was perfect in the moment and the sloppiness worked right into the story being told and even into the whole "Cena can't wrestle" thing. 

But nothing pulls me out of a match more than poor selling or a move that doesn't make a damn bit of sense (in that I can't make it make sense in the narrative I'm forming in my head. Sometimes I'll watch something, go "why the hell did they do that" and it'll make sense by the end of the match, but in the moment it'll pull me out). Shitty execution doesn't matter to me at all in the grand scheme of things.

But like I said, it's fine other people feel differently. Wrestling is an art form. People can value different aspects of it.

This may be an odd, who-cares sort of question, but is Otunga injured?  It seems like I haven't seen his name in any results for quite some time.

Otunga was working as a "legal expert" for news coverage on the Jodi Arias trial.