DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

So last night I had a dream in which I was interviewing Vince, and the question I asked him was if there had been a War Games match during the Monday Night Wars pitting WCW against WWF, who would Vince have put on the WWF team? I woke up and decided this question was awesome, so I pose it to the board. I eagerly await Ben's post telling me how the Stud Stable will be involved. 

Also I should note that in my dream, after I asked this question, Vince punched me in the mouth for "asking a fucking hypothetical". 

• Like 1

What did their roster look like? I'm looking at a list that looks like this: http://renardo6.tripod.com/WWF.com/id12.html

Al Snow 
Faarooq - WCW World Tag Team Champion 
Bradshaw - WCW World Tag Team Champion 
Big Boss Man - Out 
"The One" Billy Gunn 
Bull Buchanan 
Chris Benoit - WWF Champion 
Chris Jericho 
Chyna 
Crash Holly 
Dean Malenko 
Debra 
D-Von Dudley 
Bubba Ray Dudley 
Eddy Guerrero 
Edge 
Christian 
Essa Rios 
Gangrel - Out 
Goodfather 
Hardcore Holly 
Matt Hardy 
Jeff Hardy 
Haku 
Ivory 
Jacqueline 
Jerry Lynn 
Jim Ross - WWF Announcer 
Taka Michinoku 
Kane 
K-Kwik 
Kurt Angle - WWF Tag Team Champion 
Lilian Garcia - Ring Announcer 
Linda McMahon - CEO of WWFE 
Lita 
Mick Foley 
Molly Holly 
Paul Heyman - CEO of ECW 
Perry Saturn 
Raven 
Rhyno 
Rikishi 
Scotty 2 Hotty 
Shane McMahon - WCW Chairman 
Shawn Michaels -(Visiting) 
Spike Dudley 
Stephanie McMahon - ECW Chairman, WWF Women Champion 
Stone Cold Steve Austin - WWF Tag Team Champion 
Steve Blackman 
Steven Richards 
Tajiri 
Tazz 
Terri Runnels 
Test 
The Big Show 
The Rock - suspended 
The Undertaker 
Tori 
Triple H- Out with an injuried 
Trish Stratus 
Val Venis 
Vince McMahon - WWF Chairman 
William Regal - Commissioner of the WWF 
Albert 
Justin Credible 
X-Pac 
R.J. - out 

So Austin, Foley, Undertaker, and Angle.

And with the guys they brought in from WCW they'd have to switch some dudes over to make it interesting, like Big Show and Jericho w/ Booker T and DDP.

Or are you talking about pre-buyout? Because that's way more interesting.

I can't decide how I'd rather it be booked. If we mix up the faces and the heels on each team, you get this kind of drama as to who can work together with who. I feel like I'd rather have like a pure Face vs. Heel match. Like if the NWO jumped over and fucked with Austin, who are the faces he'd choose to have his back? Or if Heel Rock started calling out Sting on Nitro, who'd be cool to see with the Rock.

He wrote "during the Monday Night Wars" so I think that answers your question.

BLOCKED

• Like 1

Austin has Hogan down with a stunner, DDP sneaks in and hits him with a cutter, Hogan drapes his arm over for the 1-2-3. Then we get the Diamond Cutter vs. Stunner feud that every 15 year old boy wanted at the time, before Austin gets his win back from Hogan in a one on one match at Wrestlemania. Vince masturbates furiously.

Austin has Hogan down with a stunner, DDP sneaks in and hits him with a cutter, Hogan drapes his arm over for the 1-2-3. Then we get the Diamond Cutter vs. Stunner feud that every 15 year old boy wanted at the time, before Austin gets his win back from Hogan in a one on one match at Wrestlemania. Vince masturbates furiously.

No pins in War Games, it is submit or surrender. Booker gives up to the Mandible Claw in the Match Beyond. You would need to have Rock in the Scorpion Deathlock to appease WCW. 

Beefcake still looks in pretty decent shape, and yet he's the one wrestling wearing a shirt.

No pins in War Games, it is submit or surrender.

Well, there were in '98 but that was hands-down the worst War Games ever.

MEDIUM WOOD.

• Like 1

I love how Nash is the one that was called into question when Booker was a midcarder for the duration of the Monday Night Wars. Uh, Flair? Piper? Luger? Giant? You could assemble an entirely new team of people that belong there more than Booker.

• Like 2

I love how Nash is the one that was called into question when Booker was a midcarder for the duration of the Monday Night Wars. Uh, Flair? Piper? Luger? Giant? You could assemble an entirely new team of people that belong there more than Booker.

Well, someone has to do the job.  FWIW I'd much rather see Flair and Giant on the team than Nash and Booker.

• Like 1

If this were to ever happen, you need to have the craziness it deserves.

First, around August at Fall Brawl, you do a War Games match with Hogan, the Outsiders, Flair and Sting vs. Austin, Rock, HHH, and the New Age Outlaws. Goldberg, DDP or Bret interfere at the end, and Hogan pins Austin. Locker rooms empty out, massive chaos ensues, Austin is injured and put on the shelf.

Then, instead of the Royal Rumble, you go with World War 3 in January. Three rings, 30 men from each company, every two minutes, another guy from each company enters the ring (we have separate locker rooms of course). Austin makes his return from injury and wins, eliminating whoever cost him the War Games match. He gets jumped at the end, locker rooms clear out, etc...

At Wrestlemania, you debut a brand new match on the heels of War Games and World War 3: Armageddon. A War Games match spread out over three rings, World War 3 style. (If you want to get really crazy, you add the triple tower of doom or whatever it was to the cage). Same War Games teams as before, but you add Goldberg, DDP, and Bret to Team WCW and Foley, Big Show and Taker to Team WWF. Hall and Nash turn on Team WCW, revealing they were WWF sleeper agents all this time. Austin pins Hogan for the win. Following the match, Austin is again jumped, this time by the combined forces of the Outsiders and DX, who proceed to lay waste to everyone. Your story lines for the next year are the Kilq vs the World., eventually leading to next year's Wrestlemania, where you have Austin, Rock. Hogan, Flair, Sting, and Bret vs. HHH, Outsiders, NAO, and XPac.

(Or Austin calls up an old friend and tells him to get their band back together, leading to a Stud Stable vs. the Kliq blowoff at Wrestlemania.)

• Like 1

Someone has to bump and lose. 

The team I would want is Sting, Lex, Rey and Goldberg. I was looking at it from what WCW would put together. My WWF team would be Austin, Taker, Kane and Foley. A team of guys not likely to tap out ever. 

I said that was the I would want. If I were putting together a WWF team, those would be my guys. That or Blue Meanie, Taka Michinoku, Funaki and Big Show. Booker would be there to job. Or you could use Scott Hall, since he was a good sport about these things. But WCW did not seem to trust him at that point.And Booker was super over, don't kid yourself. 

I'm fantasy booking this at Fall Brawl '98 (september). This was during WWF's height as well as WCW's period of doing weird shitty things to try to get the audience back.

Team WWF: Austin, Undertaker, Kane, Mankind

Team WCW: Luger, Sting, Giant, DDP

Giant gets taken out early, maybe a stretcher job or something. This acts as his last match in WCW before jumping ship to the WWF.

Team WCW are outnumbered but valiantly fight a losing battle, until the WWF team turns on Austin at the end, leaving him to the mercy of team WCW. We end with Austin in the Scorpion Deathlock and he passes out ala the Bret match. the special guest referee, Eric Bischoff, calls for the bell, once again using the Montreal Screwjob as a finish.