DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

What is the best Road Warriors match? I was talking to Dylan Waco and we could not think of the Road Warriors match. A bunch of good ones, but nothing that rose above the rest. 

The match at Starrcade with Tully/Arn is a forgotten gem, mostly because the finish was necessary but still horrible.

As far as widening the net to "Best match the Roadies were involved in", this discussion begins and ends with the first WarGames, with the Canadian Stampede 10-man passably in the conversation as well.

What about narrowing the net to "Best match the Roadies were involved in where they were the best wrestlers"?

How many would say the Road Warriors are better than the Nasty Boys? Because I'm not a big fan of the Nasties, and as a kid I loved the Road Warriors. I still have the foam replica shoulder pads on a shelf in my office.

I hated the Nastys so much as a kid that it's really impossible for me to evaluate them with any sense of objectivity.  Road Warriors had cool facepaint and crushed people and I was born in 1981 so yeah...the nostalgia value alone still makes me enjoy those matches.

Not quite sure how relevant this may be to even a catch-all thread, but saw Run the Jewels (Killer Mike and El-P) in Austin Monday night.  Show was incredible.  Before Mike broke into Ric Flair, though, he was talking about how he always hated Hogan as a kid and called him a fraud and a phony and shit.  Had the sold out crowd chanting "Fuck Hogan!" at the top of their lungs.  He was kind of using Hogan as a metaphor for the American dream (the actual thing, not Dusty), and if you listen to Killer Mike you'll know what I'm talking about.  Then he threw up the Horseman sign and had a ton of fucking kids who'd probably never seen a day of pro wrestling in their lives Woo'ing.  It was fucking amazing.  Then he played the shit out of "Ric Flair."  Show was amazing.  If you have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure you can hit up the Googles, but here's "Ric Flair":  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzgejIcFauM&noredirect=1

What is the best Road Warriors match? I was talking to Dylan Waco and we could not think of the Road Warriors match. A bunch of good ones, but nothing that rose above the rest.

The match at Starrcade with Tully/Arn is a forgotten gem, mostly because the finish was necessary but still horrible. As far as widening the net to "Best match the Roadies were involved in", this discussion begins and ends with the first WarGames, with the Canadian Stampede 10-man passably in the conversation as well.
I was just watching Crockett Cup 1987 (Baltimore 4/11/87) Midnight Express (Stan Lane/Bobby Eaton) vs. Road Warriorshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSkuTwcqWR8 (starts around 1 hour 20 minutes)
(beginning of this is the end of the match)
  • Like 1

Didn't the Road Warriors and Sasaki have some good matches against the Steiners and Norton in Japan back in the 90s?

I have one of those matches on a comp somewhere. It was a fun sprint, with Norton mauling fools and Animal looking like he never lost a step.

Nastys had a couple matches with Bagwell & Scorpio that I doubt the Roadies could have done.

Well sure, but Roadies do stuff that the Nasties coudn't do. Like look jacked up and badass with face paint. You put face paint on the Nasties and you get a weak ass version of Headhunter A and B

Nastys had a couple matches with Bagwell & Scorpio that I doubt the Roadies could have done.

Well sure, but Roadies do stuff that the Nasties coudn't do. Like look jacked up and badass with face paint. You put face paint on the Nasties and you get a weak ass version of Headhunter A and B

The Nasties actually did wear face paint in Memphis, I think the Road Warriors could have worked those matches with Scorp and Bagwell just as effectively. Maybe more so.

The Nasty Boys weren't even that fat in their prime.

Personally, my fav Warriors match is when they beat Stan & Bobby for the belts. The heat in that match was off the charts.

Was just about to post this when I saw you beat me to it. Excellent choice!

Anyone know if GoodHelmet or one of those guys made an extensive Road Warriors comp?

What a night. I'm not starstruck, it's part of my job....but tonight was different. Bret Hart came to an event I was hosting, and I got to have a drink with him. And I met Blade...he's so big now! My only reference of him was Wrestling With Shadows. Its awesome when heroes live up to expectations.

I

• Like 4

It probably would have gotten over more if he stabbed someone.

It worked for this guy.

Posted Image

By "worked" do you mean didn't work? Cause, yeah, it didn't work.

I don't know where you live but everywhere I go I hear Jesus this and Jesus that.  This guy is over like rover, and he hasn't even had any tv time in like 8 years.

• Like 8