DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

He is older than time itself. What is the best Road Warriors match? I was talking to Dylan Waco and we could not think of the Road Warriors match. A bunch of good ones, but nothing that rose above the rest.I thought about it more and I think the best is the Steiners/LOD match from Nitro in 1996. LOD and Ultimate Warrior vs Demolition at Madison Square Garden is a really overlooked match. http://drvictatorpresents.blogspot.com/2010/04/untitled-demolition-project-day-11.htmlAnother one that comes to mind is Road Warriors and Paul Ellering vs the Varsity Club fro m a Saturday Night episode in early 89. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m76t3LUQDWM  

I never knew that the Road Warriors helped start Zubaz, and were/are part-owners.

It also makes the line in the LOD DVD make more sense, when Animal was talking about how Paul Ellering was legitimently their Manager - as he would take care of investing all of their money for them.

So, in short, Animal made a sh*t ton of money and got to wrestle a style where 95% of the match involved him kicking the crap out of guys; his finishing move involved picking a guy up on his shoulders while his partner had to take the painful landing off of the top rope, and now his son is a millionaire NFL player. He also made Ribera jackets a popular thing before they ever were a thing.

Anyone short of that is a mark.

• Like 6

He is older than time itself. What is the best Road Warriors match? I was talking to Dylan Waco and we could not think of the Road Warriors match. A bunch of good ones, but nothing that rose above the rest.I thought about it more and I think the best is the Steiners/LOD match from Nitro in 1996. LOD and Ultimate Warrior vs Demolition at Madison Square Garden is a really overlooked match. http://drvictatorpresents.blogspot.com/2010/04/untitled-demolition-project-day-11.htmlAnother one that comes to mind is Road Warriors and Paul Ellering vs the Varsity Club fro m a Saturday Night episode in early 89. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m76t3LUQDWM  

It's not that long, but I love the Roadies match against Varsity Club at Chi-Town Rumble. Also, I love the Nasty Boys street fight at SummerSlam '91. The following year's match against Money Inc. at SummerSlam was pretty good as well.

For me, the definitive RW match would be the very first match on TV you every saw them in, preferably squashing some jobbers, and the second best RW match would be the first live match you ever saw them (hopefully coming out to Iron Man), destroying some previously protected mid-level babyface team. Now that I am ""smart"" (yes, two sets of quotes (the second set is for extra regret)) I really don't need to ever see another match of theirs but, manoman back in the day they really shook things up, and their charisma & presence remain undiluted. I supposed for a specific match I would choose one of those War Games matches if that's not cheating, but I would really just like a tape (see, I am old) of just the RW's first TV match in each and every promotion they were in as well as the post-match promo.

snackin' & dinin',

RAF

• Like 3

That is a great match, they just mugged the Midnights. I still remember when they turned heel. I was terrified, then seeing them stab Dusty Rhodes with the spike. I think turning them face and taking the belts from them was the first really bad decision TBS made after buying Crockett. They were still over and it reignited their aura. There was no good reason they could not defend the belts against faces and heels before losing to the Steiners. 

Busy indy weekend around the St. Louis area...

St. Louis Anarchy is in Alton, IL tonight with a loaded lineup including Davey Richards, Arik Cannon, A.C.H., and Jonathan Gresham among others.

SICW has a legends' meet-and-greet at GCS Stadium in Sauget, IL tonight with Jerry Lawler, Baron Von Raschke, Harley Race, Rocky Johnson, and Ken Patera.  All the legends(except Lawler) will be in attendance for the wrestling show at the stadium tomorrow night.

On top of that, MMWA has a wrestling show in St. Louis tomorrow night at the South Broadway Athletic Club.

My plans:  SLA tonight, SICW tomorrow night.  Not really the autograph-seeking type.

I know it got a lot of praise from the magazines. I never got around to seeing it. I imagine it has to be good. I their match with the Hart Foundation was really good and the Rockers. I think the Roadies proved they could really work in the WWF. Where they did more traditional face in peril matches. I personally love the Natural Disasters matches, because it put them in a unique situation of being out sized and out powered by Quake and Typhoon. Also the squash of PG-13, though Ice and Wolfie stole the show. 

An autobiographical Hulk Hogan film, hmmm...

Opening scene: Tracking shot through darkness, faint beeping sounds in background, sounds get louder as tracking shot continues towards a light, beeping tones become clearer as they start forming into "Real American" as the light gets closer.

POV changes as we see a tiny finger emerge from under a sheet and we hear a bellowing "You" as the scene star wipes into an action montage set to "Real American" of Hogan battling various opponents, jumping a river on a motorcycle, wrestling a Pteradctyl in the sky, etc. into another star wipe of the title card...

HULKAMANIA THE MOTION PICTURE

PUNK: I have one because the last time we went to Japan, I went and they insisted. I’m not going to reject a gift. I also, in turn, insisted they give me a pair of Zubaz.

Yes, I will take your free jacket but give me a free pair of pants as well.

• Like 1

I have no problem with The Undertaker getting old, but my brain continues to refuse to accept that he is doing commercials for a goddamn ministry.  He's the guy Satan still calls "sir" he can't be some Jebus-worshipper.  It's just...  wrong.

I have no problem with The Undertaker getting old, but my brain continues to refuse to accept that he is doing commercials for a goddamn ministry.  He's the guy Satan still calls "sir" he can't be some Jebus-worshipper.  It's just...  wrong.

Seems like Michelle McCool probably made him.

Hogan's movie will only be enjoyable if it's a depiction of his whacked out version of his career.  Like it'll have him snapping his back in half slamming an 8 foot 700 pound Andre The Giant in front of 200,000 people.

Creative control, brother!

• Like 2

What is the best Road Warriors match? I was talking to Dylan Waco and we could not think of the Road Warriors match. A bunch of good ones, but nothing that rose above the rest. 

The match at Starrcade with Tully/Arn is a forgotten gem, mostly because the finish was necessary but still horrible.

As far as widening the net to "Best match the Roadies were involved in", this discussion begins and ends with the first WarGames, with the Canadian Stampede 10-man passably in the conversation as well.