DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

What are the best matches to end in a no-contest, double DQ/count-out, or other result that doesn't have a clear winner?  Ideally, I'd be looking for a match where the outcome is seen as the "right" booking decision and isn't a disappointing finish that takes away from the quality of the match.

Taker/Michaels from Ground Zero 1997 that ended in the giant brawl and tope - setting up the first Hell in a Cell the next month - I remember being blown away by that when it first aired...

What are the best matches to end in a no-contest, double DQ/count-out, or other result that doesn't have a clear winner?  Ideally, I'd be looking for a match where the outcome is seen as the "right" booking decision and isn't a disappointing finish that takes away from the quality of the match.

Taker/Michaels from Ground Zero 1997 that ended in the giant brawl and tope - setting up the first Hell in a Cell the next month - I remember being blown away by that when it first aired...

Did the Midnights/Fantastics match from that Clash get thrown out? If so, that, because that's the best match.

Former WWE writer Court Bauer said during the July 31 MLW Radio podcast that TNA has brought in co-founder Jeff Jarrett to handle talent relations for the company.TNA Chief Financial Officer Dean Broadhead and TNA President Dixie Carter's brother Todd Carter asked Jarrett to come into the TNA Offices in Nashville, Tennessee shortly after Bruce Prichard, the former vice president of talent relations, was released on July 18, Bauer said. Dixie was not involved. Jarrett was told about the company's status in terms of its current restructuring and asked to assume Prichard's role.According to Bauer, although Jarrett has assumed Prichard's role, he won't be making decisions himself about who will be hired and released so much as he'll be executing Broadhead's and Carter's decisions. Jarrett is said to be very hands-on in terms of hiring talent and aggressively reestablishing relations with international wrestling promotions such as New Japan Pro Wrestling and Luca Libre AA in Mexico in order to recruit new talent. TNA's previously established relations with such promotions were allowed to erode during the Eric Bischoff era, he said.Bauer said fans should expect to see talent who were active when Jarrett was in charge of TNA such as Sonjay Dutt and Petey Williams show up more often in the Impact Zone because they're familiar to him and affordable.

According to Bauer, although Jarrett has assumed Prichard's role, he won't be making decisions himself about who will be hired and released so much as he'll be executing Broadhead's and Carter's decisions.

Jarrett is said to be very hands-on in terms of hiring talent and aggressively reestablishing relations with international wrestling promotions such as New Japan Pro Wrestling and Luca Libre AA in Mexico in order to recruit new talent.

Am I mistaken, or do those two sentences contradict each other?

He can still make recommendations, I imagine. It's not like the CFO or the Carters know fuck-all about wrestling or talent beyond "This is cheaper than letting Dixie fuck up things for Panda Energy".

Alex Wright's Wikipedia page says he died today.

Ring name(s) Alex Wright[1]
Berlyn[1] Billed height 6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)[2] Billed weight 225 lb (102 kg)[2] Born May 17, 1975[1]
Nuremberg, Germany[1] Died August 6, 2013 (aged 38) Billed from Germany Trained by Steve Wright[1] Debut 1991[1] Retired 2003

Magnum Tokyo, you're next!

Maybe Disco killed him and started the rumor of own his death yesterday to throw suspicion off himself.  He finally realized that Boogie Knights reunion wasn't going to happen.

I'll go with the Disco Inferno in the parlor with a candlestick.  Or Berlyn's cane.  Whichever.

(I'm assuming that Wikipedia entry is wrong and Wright is still alive, btw.  Otherwise, this post is in really terrible taste.)

Going back a couple pages, but I think non-finishes can still be a part of great matches if it fits the story as part of a larger feud.

All Japan had some quality time-limit draws with the big four when they were all evenly matched, but I think my favorite was from 1990 when Misawa and Kawada were teaming against Jumbo and Taue. Misawa and Kawada were on their way up the ladder, but Taue was a couple years from taking off, so the match was built around Jumbo bailing his ass out repeatedly and surviving a massive beating to the point where a draw felt like a good win for him.

ROH used to run time-limit draws to great effect, most notably the Punk/Joe series and during Danielson's title run.

The original NWO-forming match officially ended in a no contest.

In WWE, the ones that come to mind are the Rock/Foley LMS with the double chair shot KO, Edge/Matt street fight on Raw where Hardy did the kamikaze side-effect off the stage, and the Show/Lesnar ring explosion match. While Austin/Angle was a wonderful piece of storytelling and a top match for both guys, I don't count it because Angle was the clear winner by DQ. Perfectly unsatisfying as intended, but not quite in the scope of the question.

Alex Wright's Wikipedia page says he died today.

Ring name(s) Alex Wright[1]

Berlyn[1] Billed height 6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)[2] Billed weight 225 lb (102 kg)[2] Born May 17, 1975[1]

Nuremberg, Germany[1] Died August 6, 2013 (aged 38) Billed from Germany Trained by Steve Wright[1] Debut 1991[1] Retired 2003

Magnum Tokyo, you're next!

Detective Alan Kuroki will investigate!

Posted Image

• Like 1