DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Ring of Honor is forcing several of their employees under contract to remove their merchandise that is being sold on ProWrestlingTees.com. Ring of Honor doesn’t make a cut from the direct sales, and is threatening to discontinue sales through their website and at live shows if the third-party markets are not taken down.Kevin Steen, Mike Bennett, ACH, Cliff Compton, Davey Richards, Eddie Edwards, Jay Lethal, Jimmy Jacobs, Karl Anderson, Michael Elgin, Roderick Strong, and several other talents currently working for Ring of Honor have merchandise on ProWrestlingTees.com website.Credit: Prowrestling.net

I wonder about the legitimacy of this reporting.  Karl Anderson is under contract to New Japan.  If he is told to pull his merch, it would be by them.  ROH is just an indy booking in between tours for him.  I would venture a guess that if he was told to pull his merch (and he made significant money from the merch), he would just drop ROH from his schedule.  It is all about making the mortgage payment. 

Ring of Honor is forcing several of their employees under contract to remove their merchandise that is being sold on ProWrestlingTees.com. Ring of Honor doesn’t make a cut from the direct sales, and is threatening to discontinue sales through their website and at live shows if the third-party markets are not taken down.Kevin Steen, Mike Bennett, ACH, Cliff Compton, Davey Richards, Eddie Edwards, Jay Lethal, Jimmy Jacobs, Karl Anderson, Michael Elgin, Roderick Strong, and several other talents currently working for Ring of Honor have merchandise on ProWrestlingTees.com website.Credit: Prowrestling.net

I wonder about the legitimacy of this reporting.  Karl Anderson is under contract to New Japan.  If he is told to pull his merch, it would be by them.  ROH is just an indy booking in between tours for him.  I would venture a guess that if he was told to pull his merch (and he made significant money from the merch), he would just drop ROH from his schedule.  It is all about making the mortgage payment. 

The wording of the story implies that Anderson was told to remove his stuff, yes, but it's not actually stated.  So it's not so much bad reporting as vague reporting.

Saw this over on /r/squaredcircle. CM Punk and/or John Cena was in the main event 32 in the last 34 PPVs. (The other 2 PPVs by HHH and Lesnar)

Also, this.....

Punk = 11 (6 not including vs Cena in some form)

Cena = 29 (24 not including vs Punk in some form)

The higher number (40 instead of 34) comes from the PPV's they've headlined together.

Also interesting, from WM 27 till now:

The Rock/Miz = 5

Ryback/Del Rio = 4

Brock/Triple H = 3

R-Truth/Kane/Big Show = 2

Laurinitus/John Morrison/Christian/Orton/Sheamus/RVD/D-Bry/Ziggler/Y2J = 1

Edited by JustJay

HOLY SHIT YOU NAILED IT! I knew he looked like something creepy I'd seen before! 

Posted Image

I couldn't find a pic of him freaking out smiling in the window so this is as good as it gets

Fit Finlay: The Wilderness Years

• Like 1

Over in "best/worst matches you've seen" thread, someone mentioned the infamous Nitro where Roddy Piper held tryouts for his team at Uncensored.  IIRC one of the people involved was John Tenta, but who were the rest?

One was Goldberg before he got the well known push, I think one was a boxer pal of Piper's named Malley who everyone booed but he added to the team anyway.

The wording of the story implies that Anderson was told to remove his stuff, yes, but it's not actually stated.  So it's not so much bad reporting as vague reporting.

It is kind of a douchey thing to do.  I can't imagine anyone is building a mansion with their t-shirt profits.

I would side with ROH if:

a) They owned the person's name or gimmick

be) (STUPID Smiley) They were selling official ROH merch on their site and not giving them a cut.

I'm fine with them telling someone they can't wear or sell their gimmicks on a ROH show if ROH isn't getting a cut of the sales.

But if someone's taking the initiative to go out on their own, make and design their own shirt and sell it on their own, I'd let them have it.

Over in "best/worst matches you've seen" thread, someone mentioned the infamous Nitro where Roddy Piper held tryouts for his team at Uncensored.  IIRC one of the people involved was John Tenta, but who were the rest?

One was Goldberg before he got the well known push, I think one was a boxer pal of Piper's named Malley who everyone booed but he added to the team anyway.

It was Horshu, not Goldberg.

It was Horshu, not Goldberg.

DOH!  Damn you internet rumors!  *EDIT*  I just skimmed this on the interwebs.  Jeez, this went 19 minutes, I remember this live and I didn't have the luxury of fast forward.

BTW: this might be the greatest thing I found on the pro-wrestling tees site:

http://www.prowrestlingtees.com/wrestler-tshirts-3/cliff-compton/punch-him-in-the-balls.html

• Like 1

Was watching Impact this week (Not that I'm singling TNA out, WWE are just as guilty for this) and a thought struck me.  How bizarre is it, from a kayfabe standpoint, that on modern professional wrestling, you'll get an entrance, followed by an interview, interrupted by another entrance going into a match and they cut to commercial DURING THE MATCH!?  It would be like watching NFL football, watching Tom Brady give stock answers, the two teams taking the field, the punter lines up to kick and they cut to commercials and come back in the middle of the next play.  I know it's a by-product of prime-time TV, but it's still really weird when you think about it, isn't it!?

• Like 2