DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

My area has a pretty good variety of promotions and products.  STL Anarchy brings in the ROH-style guys like Davey and Callihan, SICW brings in the old-school guys like Harley and Von Raschke, and FIST had Sabu and Tracey Smothers a few months ago.  Nice to have some solid choices between products...it's indy wrestling so it's always going to be hit-and-miss to some extent, but that's part of the charm in my book.  Been fortunate to see some really fun stuff around these parts.

As much as you or I might like the lucha libre, I don't know if casual fans would be that interested.

The last SICW show in my area brought in a midget match(Beautiful Bobby Dean vs. Little Kato) but actually drew less than the previous month due to other factors(local town picnic, I believe).  Still, they sold a lot of merch that night.

IIRC, lucha shows used to draw quite well in Chicago, FWIW.

Not a single match.I haven't been excited about seeing Van Dam wrestle since the Cena match at the One Night Stand PPV. In hindsight, I think his entire WWE run was more or less a bust. Not that it's entirely his fault but RVD in WWE was no where near as exciting to watch as RVD in ECW. He's the epitome of a guy who's "just there" and he's been "just there" for years now.

RVD in ECW was Davey Richards before Davey Richards was Davey Richards. Just replace stiff strikes and headdrops with backflips and cartwheels.
  • Like 1

Not a single match.I haven't been excited about seeing Van Dam wrestle since the Cena match at the One Night Stand PPV. In hindsight, I think his entire WWE run was more or less a bust. Not that it's entirely his fault but RVD in WWE was no where near as exciting to watch as RVD in ECW. He's the epitome of a guy who's "just there" and he's been "just there" for years now.

RVD in ECW was Davey Richards before Davey Richards was Davey Richards. Just replace stiff strikes and headdrops with backflips and cartwheels.

I can see RVD & Jerry Lynn doing the Superplex of Doom spot in ECW and getting a standing ovation for it!

You don't even have to replace stiff strikes.  How many guys has Van Dam potatoed with his kicks?

At least RVD had something resembling a personality, and knew how to engage his audience.

• Like 1

In terms of the "who on the indies is a draw", I would travel any distance to see Sid... probably...

I think the more succesful indies are more about the promotion themselves and the overall card rather than relying on a name to sell the show.

An example would be someone like Drake Younger, on his own I wouldnt go to see him at a local show vs. Joe McShmoe, however, put him in the PWG system, with everything else thats going on, then there would be more than enough to get me to go.

ECW would be a good example, I wasnt desperate to see one name, but I was desperate to see the overall show itself and what was going to happen.

I loved RVD in ECW, but now looking back it really comes across as some self-indulgent shit. Dude would go over 20 minutes with just the most worthless wrestlers just go to be able to get his schtick in and point to his self. Every match was this faux-epic. Tough to watch now. Though I still like the Lynn series for the most part.

The previous comment does invite the question: Who on the indy scene could really be considered a "draw"? As in, what name could you drop to a casual fan that would convince them to attend an indy show they otherwise wouldn't bother with? I see groups book outside talent all the time but I really don't think it affects the attendance all that much.

They do more to boost DVD sales than ticket sales.Plus, all booking on the indies is done through recommendations. Very few Indy promotors watch DVDs. So if you get Davey Richards on your show and he works with Joe Blow and it works out well, Davey may get Joe Blow a shot in Ring of Honor.

I actually like the RVD-Lynn match that went the time limit, then the ref tries to award the title to Lynn, only for him to reject it and call for 5 more minutes more than the more-heralded Hardcore Heaven match.

Aside from the ref trying to give Lynn the title for no reason, obviously.

In terms of the "who on the indies is a draw", I would travel any distance to see Sid... probably...I think the more succesful indies are more about the promotion themselves and the overall card rather than relying on a name to sell the show.An example would be someone like Drake Younger, on his own I wouldnt go to see him at a local show vs. Joe McShmoe, however, put him in the PWG system, with everything else thats going on, then there would be more than enough to get me to go.ECW would be a good example, I wasnt desperate to see one name, but I was desperate to see the overall show itself and what was going to happen.

I led a campaign to get Sid booked on a Stampede show in like 2006ish. He got booked after I basically subjugated the whole Stampede messageboard, no showed and the card was cancelled.Whoops.
  • Like 16

I think I explained it so that everyone paid $10 more for the event but the chosen few who would be fist bumped would essentially live forever. There was fantasy booking in there too to explain it, but I can't remember what it was other than the little flippy spot guy they had got powerbombed through a table.

Hahaha his name was Chucky and he was a ginger IIRC.

• Like 1

In terms of the "who on the indies is a draw", I would travel any distance to see Sid... probably...I think the more succesful indies are more about the promotion themselves and the overall card rather than relying on a name to sell the show.An example would be someone like Drake Younger, on his own I wouldnt go to see him at a local show vs. Joe McShmoe, however, put him in the PWG system, with everything else thats going on, then there would be more than enough to get me to go.ECW would be a good example, I wasnt desperate to see one name, but I was desperate to see the overall show itself and what was going to happen.

I led a campaign to get Sid booked on a Stampede show in like 2006ish. He got booked after I basically subjugated the whole Stampede messageboard, no showed and the card was cancelled.Whoops.

Oh, please.  Sid can't travel across the US without "visa" problems, and can't be trusted with sharp pointy objects.  You really thought he'd manage to get into Canada?

You can always do it again to another indie fed, you know.

I'm reasonably certain Teddy Hart will try to revive Stampede again at some point.

He has to.  No one else will book his cats.

Edit: Jae beats me to the punch with a cat joke.