DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2014 - WEEK FIVE

RIPPA

Smith is a perfect fit for a franchise whose legacy is guys like Jamal Lewis, Terrell Suggs, Ray Lewis, Ray Rice, and probably ten others I'm forgetting.

• Like 3

I must be forgetting something. What has Smith done besides fight with a teammate and talk trash?

He's been suspended multiple times for attacking teammates and was arrested once because of one of those incidents.

Smith is a perfect fit for an entire sports league that uses and discards some of society's most educationally inept beings with no regard to most of them being destitute by the time they're 50 years old.  Which is only topped by the disregard these being have for themselves and their loved ones.

*shrugs*

One need not be educated to know it's not OK to attack your teammates.  Multiple times.  That has nothing to do with the NFL "using and discarding" people and everything to do with Steve Smith being a grade A jackass.  And, like I said, those are something the Baltimore Ravens specialize in, making him a great fit there.

My overall point is that he's a great fit for the league.  All 32 teams. I don't see the point of using Baltimore as a standard bearer for bad guys.  Every team has bad guys.  Several of them, usually.

And there's more to education than having a degree.  We all know this. Some of these guys literally have no concept of social skills and proper behavior.  Yeah, they SHOULD know better.  But they don't.  There are a million reasons why, but it comes down to being pretty dense.  Inept, dense--same thing. Most of these guys are stunted on every level except when it comes to playing football.

You can call Smith a jackass, and you may be right.  But to think the Ravens are the only team that tolerate/condone that sort of thing is baffling to me.  Haven't we learned better over the past several weeks?

I guess I don't get your overall point of always pointing at the Ravens.

• Like 1

My overall point is that he's a great fit for the league.  All 32 teams. I don't see the point of using Baltimore as a standard bearer for bad guys.  Every team has bad guys.  Several of them, usually.

And there's more to education than having a degree.  We all know this. Some of these guys literally have no concept of social skills and proper behavior.  Yeah, they SHOULD know better.  But they don't.  There are a million reasons why, but it comes down to being pretty dense.  Inept, dense--same thing. Most of these guys are stunted on every level except when it comes to playing football.

You can call Smith a jackass, and you may be right.  But to think the Ravens are the only team that tolerate/condone that sort of thing is baffling to me.  Haven't we learned better over the past several weeks?

I guess I don't get your overall point of always pointing at the Ravens.

I don't "always" point at the Ravens.  However, it's clear that the Ravens have a higher tolerance for jackasses than other franchises.  I mean, we are talking about a team that was A-OK with a guy helping cover up - or possibly participating in - a double murder.  And A-OK with a guy who decked his fiancee - but only until there was some backlash.

Steve Smith is right.  I haven't listened to a second of what he's said since a bit after he was cut because frankly I'm tired of hearing about him, but after 12 years in Carolina I have a good idea of what he would say and he's right.  Front office screwed up big time on how this was handled and I say that as a big fan of most of the moves Carolina's FO has made.  All signs pointed to Steve hitting the WR wall like a lot of RB's do at 30 and they were wrong.

I never want to hear another word about having so many RB's on the roster.

Frank Alexander is one of those players where you hope he would get it but it's pretty clear that he doesn't.  He has some tremendous talent and like I've said before would start on a lot of teams.  He has problems controlling his temper and now obviously substance abuse problems.  I want to be mad at the guy but really I want to see him get his life in order like I want to see with Josh Gordon.

The only bright spot I see this year is the rest of the NFC South is falling at about the same rate Carolina is.

• Like 1

So what's with the Niners rebelling against Aspie McKhakies?

There's a lot of crap going around but only time will tell. They at least got their head out of their ass in the second half of the Philly game so MAYBE this won't be a complete disaster of a season.

I can definitely see the team getting frustrated after how the last two seasons ended. Then this one starts 2-2 and could have easily been 1-3.  I'm sure his antics are getting tiresome, too.

I should mention that I'm well aware that my team (the Lions, for those who don't know) hasn't exactly been innocent of having jackasses.  

If anything, all the stories coming out this season, plus the Patriots having a multiple murderer on their team, should teach us that every team has "jackasses" and every team will tolerate them as much as they are allowed to.  Your own favorite team still employs a man who clearly has anger problems and pretty much tried to kill a few dudes on the field.  I'm betting the Ravens have had the same number of shitty people on their teams over the years as any other team has.  What I don't get is how so many other teams get a pass and we just say, "oh, he's a bad apple," while Baltimore gets a rep as a dirty club where this behavior is allowed with open arms.  Nobody called out Pittsburgh as a dirty organization when Roethlisburger raped a girl in a bathroom while one of his lineman guarded the door.  Why is that?

• Like 1