DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 53: Nelson vs. Story (10/4/2014) - Stockholm, Sweden (Ericsson Globe)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_Fight_Night_53_Nelson_vs._Story_Post

UFC Fight Night 53: Nelson vs. Story
October 4, 2014
Stockholm, Sweden (Ericsson Globe)

Gunnar Nelson (170) vs. Rick Story (170) - Story, DEC (split)
Akira Corassani (145) vs. Max Holloway (145) - Holloway, KO (punches), R1 (3:11)
Ilir Latifi (204) vs. Jan Błachowicz (205) - Błachowicz, TKO (body kick and punches), R1 (1:58)
Niklas Bäckström (145) vs. Mike Wilkinson (145) - Wilkinson, KO (punches), R1 (1:19)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Magnus Cedenblad (185) vs. Scott Askham (185) - Cedenblad, DEC (unanimous)
Nicholas Musoke (170) vs. Alexander Yakovlev (170) - Musoke, DEC (unanimous)
Dennis Siver (145) vs. Charles Rosa (146) - Siver, DEC (unanimous)
Cathal Pendred (171) vs. Gasan Umalatov (170) - Pendred, DEC (split)
Tor Troeng (185) vs. Krzysztof Jotko (185) - Jotko, DEC (unanimous)
Mairbek Taisumov (155) vs. Marcin Bandel (156) - Taisumov, TKO (punches), R1 (1:01)
Zubaira Tukhugov (145) vs. Ernest Chavez (146) - Tukhugov, TKO (strikes), R1 (4:21)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Mike Wilkinson
Performance of the Night: Max Holloway
Fight of the Night: Dennis Siver vs. Charles Rosa

Attendance: 10,026

Cancelled Bouts:
Amir Sadollah vs. Nicholas Musoke - Sadollah Moved to Another Card
Dennis Siver vs. Rob Whiteford - Injury to Whiteford
Chan Sung Jung vs. Akira Corassani - Injury to Jung (Shoulder)
Dennis Siver vs. Taylor Lapilus - Lapilus Denied License By Commission

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

I'm so out of the UFC loop I saw the poster and thought "Wow, Roy Nelson lost a LOT of weight! And he shaved!"

Dude, I'm so Roy-conditioned that whenever the ad appeared for this during the last actual show with Roy Nelson on, I thought 'ooh, Roy Nelson's fighting soon.'

I was technically correct.

• Like 1

Gunnar would probably do better at 155, but the problem is offensive output and his lack of defensive responsibility. He got out of the way for some shots, but he lost the fight standing there and taking heaters on the chin. When he was changing stances, he really offered nothing substantially different. He is so right hand reliant, and opponents can easily time him for counters or slip away. It would be different if he had game changing power, but he doesn't. The speed is there sometimes, but not the power.

• Like 1

Impressive win for Story, who has made a career of being remarkably inconsistent despite some wins over big names in the UFC.

This was a good test for Nelson.  Sometimes you don't know how good a fighter can be until they lose.  Really thought he was going to annihilate Story.  

Maybe he thought he was a boxing judge in Germany, so he scored most rounds to the home fighter... meanwhile the other judge gives Story all 5 rounds, with a 2 pointer (in the 4th probably). Which was how I had it.

The UFC roster is HUGE now. Not too many years ago, they had considerably fewer than 100 fighters (across five weight classes) under contract. Now they have over 100 fighters in the lightweight division. All those shows they do, between Fox specials and Fight Pass shows, lots of fighters who'd have been out the door before are now getting semi-final matches on main cards.

Story can actually fight though. Sure, he will lose to guys like Maia and whatnot. However, you need someone who is willing to step up, fight top fighters without hesitation, and be at least semi-competitive/entertaining.

• Like 1