DVDVR Message Board

The August Soccer Thread....

SirFozzie

Well, of all the "typical City" performances in the world that was the typical City-est.

As completely batshit as Cardiff's crowd was, I won't be surprised one bit if they beat a whole bunch more teams they shouldn't this season. They HAVE to make their joint a fortress if they're going to survive.

I think Cardiff finishes in the 12-15 range, but United and Chelsea likely get something out of their matches there. Got to get some cover at CB now, and Kolo Toure would not have looked have looked bad back there.

He's looking quite nice with Liverpool, thank you. I don't think he should be relied on all season long if the club has top 4 aspirations but he's hella solid and a great complement to Agger.

I think Cardiff finishes in the 12-15 range, but United and Chelsea likely get something out of their matches there. Got to get some cover at CB now, and Kolo Toure would not have looked have looked bad back there.

That's the thing, Toure is a great back-up plan in case crap goes wrong and one/both of your starting center backs are injured. He played perfectly fine last year, and City's issue last year was getting the ball in the other net (well that, and Mancini alienating half the locker room and outthinking himself in big moments). I can understand letting him go if you line up a younger replacement with more potential. Nastasic should be ready next week, but it would still be a mistake to postpone the addition of cover back there until January. 

I watched the Granada-Real Madrid game online (I don't get BeIN Sports on my cruddy cable service), Real Madrid dominated possession and chances by a lot but while they created lots of great chances their finishing was not up to it. The Benzema goal probably should have been ruled off sides but it stood so I will take it since it was the winner. Granada didn't show much offense wise most of the match but they have a very scrappy defense. Late in the 2nd half Granada really should have had a penalty kick but it wasn't given and the crowd reacted accordingly. This seemed to energize the home team and the last three minutes of stoppage time were very tense and nervy because Granada was really pouring it on trying to score and looked likely to do so at least twice. But Los Blancos held on for the 1-0 win. Very glad for the win but I am concerned that Real Madrid looked a lot better in the Pre-Season than they do now in the regular season. Diego Lopez was in goal yet again, so the GK drama continues. DiMaria was really great in the game today, I hope the rumors of him leaving to possibly Arsenal or anywhere else are false. 

Interesting to see who will be leaving making some space for Bale. There were rumours about a midfield player going since he wants to play at the 2014 World cup. At first my guess was either Modric or Ozil, but thinking about it, di Maria makes a little more sense since last season he was brought on as a sub quite often and will have more trouble fighting for a position in his national team than Ozil and Modric in their respective squads if he doesn´t play at Real.

Bundesliga finds itself with four teams going three wins out of three in the first three matchdays: Dortmund, Leverkusen, Bayern and Mainz all won their first three matches of the season. Mainz are notorius for having good starts during the last few seasons. Dortmund and Leverkusen are the two most likely clubs to compete with Bayern, Dortmund is facing loss of their star--midfieldplayer Gündogan right now who is out with a back injury and might be in need of surgery so it is hard to see if they can keep up their good run.