DVDVR Message Board

The August Soccer Thread....

SirFozzie

Only if they include a paltry price on the option to buy next summer after we've won the league and champions league (somehow).

ReiseReise, who has Leverkusen replaced Schürrle with?

Edit: Freiburg pulls level with Bayern at the 85th minute. Nicely worked goal.

Leverkusen is using Song (Korean, came from Hamburger SV) and Sam on the wings. I think Sam is playing on Schürrle´s position most of the time and he had a good first few games, two assists and three goals in three matches.

Good to see a team finally stealing a few points from Bayern. They have been looking dodgy in every time, yet still won matches, which is of course a championship level team´s trade, but annoying nontheless. Well done, Freiburg, hoping they will get back close the level they had last season.

• Like 1

Definitie football phenomena, Clubs with the big and especially the enthusiastic crowds often get hate.Plus clubs who have something others don´t have get probably even more. Most of the times, the clubs and managements do something to earn their respective successes, whether it´s in titles or fan base being added, which makes other fans long for their franchises aswell. Maybe fans want their club to treat their supporter base the way they are treated in Seattle and envy that, is that a possibility? I remember a large chunk of complaints about the treatment in stadiums from security and the like a while ago. Are there any analysis as to why Seattle is turning into a footie hotbed?

Can we bash our teams before we support Seattle instead (bah, the Revs playing in a pointyball stadium with no atmosphere)

Seattle had supported lower level soccer pretty well, and the team made a lot of fan-friendly actions that made the fans feel like they were involved with the team (the fans elect the GM, etcetera)

Fenerbache hopefully liked losing to Arsenal, as it's the last they'll be playing in Europe till 2015-16, as CAS declined their match-fixing appeal (they are thrown out of this year's Europa League and barred from Europe next season as well)

• Like 1

Definitie football phenomena, Clubs with the big and especially the enthusiastic crowds often get hate.Plus clubs who have something others don´t have get probably even more. Most of the times, the clubs and managements do something to earn their respective successes, whether it´s in titles or fan base being added, which makes other fans long for their franchises aswell. Maybe fans want their club to treat their supporter base the way they are treated in Seattle and envy that, is that a possibility? I remember a large chunk of complaints about the treatment in stadiums from security and the like a while ago. Are there any analysis as to why Seattle is turning into a footie hotbed?

The Northwest has always been into soccer more than the rest of the US dating back to the 70s when the NASL had a strong foothold in Portland, Seattle and Vancouver with the original Timbers, Sounders and Whitecaps clubs. Portland in particular was big on the "alternative" nature of soccer to the point where they came to be known as "Soccer City USA."

• Like 1

That's wonderful.

I managed to get to my first Whitecaps game in forever now that I no longer work on the weekends. It was a 1-0 loss against the Galaxy and the caps couldn't string three passes together. Still, I was at the supporters end and the atmosphere was nice and lively. I miss the old days of Swanguard though.

I hate to say it, but Spuds have done an amazing job with their transfer business this summer. Lamela for 30 million Euros is a heck of a deal in comparison to the Willian transfer and he has the potential to become a top player. I don't see how Liverpool can crack the top 4 without spending money. Ibe (I think he just gave up on people pronouncing it properly and went "EYEB") and a batch of promising youngsters may help in 2 or 3 years but we need somebody with a cutting edge in the final third to help out Coutinho now. Somebody like, say, Erik Lamela more so than Victor Moses.

This Celtic/not that Shakhtar match is awe inspiring. So much action.

Also, why would Eriksen sign for Spurs when they have 6 or so really good attacking midfielders? Makes no sense other than wanting to get out of Amsterdam.

Guest The Magnificent 7

That is the most panic stricken and simultaneously enjoyable ninety minutes I may have ever had watching Celtic.  What a match.  Samaras was a king, and what an incredible strike by Kris Commons.  Forrest getting the winner after some great work by Stokes was the icing on the cake.  Absolutely chuffed with that.  Can't wait for the draw tomorrow.  On cloud nine.

FUCK YEAH

Guest The Magnificent 7

Haha.  Thanks!

Football is fun.  After watching it for so long sometimes you forget how fun it is and then your club does stuff like this.  I don't care if it's some mob from Kazahkstan and that we never should have been down 2 goals in the first place.  That's what we do, make things difficult.  One week you wonder why you put yourself through the wringer of emotion as shit goes against your team, and the next week you are reminded why. 

Posted Image

If you substitute Neil's leaps for me jumping over a laundry basket and my 4 year-old for James Forrest at the bottom of the pile (they are about the same height actually :P) that was me when that winner hit the net. 

FUCK YEAH

Here are the pots for tomorrow's Champions League group stage draw

Pot one: Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Chelsea, Real Madrid, Manchester United, Arsenal, FC Porto, Benfica.

Pot two: Atletico Madrid, Shakhtar Donetsk, AC Milan, Schalke 04, Marseille, CSKA Moscow, Paris Saint-Germain, Juventus.

Pot three: Zenit St Petersburg, Manchester City, Ajax Amsterdam, Borussia Dortmund, FC Basel, Olympiakos, Galatasaray, Bayer Leverkusen.

Pot four: FC Copenhagen, Napoli, Anderlecht, Celtic, Steaua Bucharest, Plzen, Real Sociedad, Austria Vienna.

Let's see, group of death for Celtic:

Bayern Munich
Atletico Madrid
Man City (forgot the no-same nations rule)
Celtic 

:)

Or the Group of Cake

Benfica
CSKA Moscow
Basel
Celtic

Here are the pots for tomorrow's Champions League group stage draw Pot one: Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Chelsea, Real Madrid, Manchester United, Arsenal, FC Porto, Benfica. Pot two: Atletico Madrid, Shakhtar Donetsk, AC Milan, Schalke 04, Marseille, CSKA Moscow, Paris Saint-Germain, Juventus. Pot three: Zenit St Petersburg, Manchester City, Ajax Amsterdam, Borussia Dortmund, FC Basel, Olympiakos, Galatasaray, Bayer Leverkusen. Pot four: FC Copenhagen, Napoli, Anderlecht, Celtic, Steaua Bucharest, Plzen, Real Sociedad, Austria Vienna.  Let's see, group of death for Celtic: Bayern MunichAtletico MadridMan City (forgot the no-same nations rule)Celtic  

How about Barca, Juvy, Dortmund, Celtic?

Bayern Munich
Atletico Madrid
Celtic 

Theirs no "same nations" conflict in that group. Germany, Spain, England, Scotland. I'd also say swap Juve or PSG for Atletico for group of death

Dream

United

Marseille

Olympiakos

Austria Vienna

Nightmare

United

Juventus

Borussia Dortmund

Real Sociedad

Bayern Munich
Atletico Madrid
Celtic 

Theirs no "same nations" conflict in that group.

I'd imagine he originally had Dortmund in there, then edited them out and put City in place.

City was playing the German teams a lot during the last few seasons, so this might aswell happen again. I just got a reminder´s call as to why I´m a footie fans, since I was amazed to see Dortmund in the third pot until I realized they hadn´t performed at all in Europe apart from last years CL run.And Mag 7, big congratulations for the win and qualification for the Champions League, although I have to admit you guys had me worried. ;)