DVDVR Message Board

The August Soccer Thread....

SirFozzie

Total crapshoot, a lot of the times teams stay up simply because they are better suited. Southampton spent a lot last year, but it was Rickie Lambert scoring 15, backed up by Jay Rodriguez scoring 8 with Player of the Year Morgan Schneiderlin in a midfield with Lallana and Cork that put in the most work. Both those guys came from the lower league or from the youth system.

Reading went up as Champions but went down with a similar collection of talent.

I'm at the point where I think you don't make any effort to stay up, finance wise. Go up, don't spend much, see how you do then if you go back down you have approx £100 million extra cash (1 season up and parachute payments) which you should then be able to dominate that division and go back up with much more chance of survival. Of course nobody will do this because if that's your plan either the manager gets fired (Billy Davies) or the manager and best players leave at the end of the season(Blackpool).

La Liga started over the weekend. Real Madrid 2-1 Real Betis, Marcelo & Isco were great! Without them I don't think Los Blancos win the game. Pepe was crap though. Usually one can tolerate his thuggery because he's a boss in defense but not in yesterday's game. Felt like a goal could be conceded at any time towards the end so it was pretty relieving when the final whistle blew. Three points to the start the season, always good, but defense was not good yesterday. Only saw highlights of Barcelona thrashing Levante 7-0 so not a lot to say about that one. Only saw a few highlights of Valencia vs Malaga from Saturday but it was a game I was interested in because w/out Soldado I wasn't sure where Valencia would be getting their goals but then I remembered.. Roberto Costa! He scored quite a few in the last season so of course he was there to give Valencia the winner. 

I caught Arsenal vs Aston Vila on Saturday morning and bits of some other games but so far I'm enjoying the NBC Sports coverage of the Premiere League. I don't have a HD TV but picture quality seemed better than from Fox Sports and ESPN the past few seasons, particularly the NBC Sports Network broadcasts. But again, no HDTV so probably not a good judge of such things. 

Looking forward to Champions League qualifiers this week and curious to see what Fox Sports 1's Fox Football Daily show will be like. I caught a bit of ESPN FC this past week but wasn't bowled over with it. A lot of football news/highlight shows going on though. 

I didn't watch all of the Madrid game, but saw a good portion of it.  Modric's run in the 2nd half on the left side was great.  He looked like his hair was on fire.  It didn't result in a goal, but you couldn't have asked more of him there.

That was a great run, I forgot about that! Also forgot that Modric & Isco seem to have some good chemistry on the field, they link up really well. Also, forgot to talk about Ancelotti's eye.. YIKES! What happened there? Also the Goalkeeper situation... Personally I'd rather have Casillas in goal but there has to be a good reason, something the managers first Mourinho now Ancelotti, are seeing in training that is putting Lopez at the starting spot instead of San Iker. I hope all of the GK drama can be resolved though.

Digging NBC's presentation so far, including the AWESOME Palace tifosi before their match. They've been really good with the little details.

It kind of sucked on Dish.  They're not carrying the overflow games, even though they were essentially free to air, so no flipping around.  One game in the morning, one in the afternoon and no rebroadcasts.

Is the crowd at Sellhurst Park always so mental?

Their fans were a big reason why I wanted them stay up back in 2005. They really feel more like a Bundesliga crowd between the tifo displays and the tannoy's call-and-response gimmick when someone scores for them ("Glenn!" "MURRAY!" "Glenn! "MURRAY!")... a really fun atmosphere.

For whatever reason, a few TV Providers didn't/haven't yet picked up NBC's overflow redzonish channel for the Prem coverage, even though NBC swears it's at no additional cost to the providers.  The Sports Xtra app works wonderfully though, although I really would rather watch off games on my TV and not my Nook/Laptop.

Pedro, get your entry in for the EPL pool!!!!! :D

Newcastle might lose 7-1 today, but I give zero shits, because I am too busy giggling while singing in my head "He's six foot two, he'll do you"....

For whatever reason, a few TV Providers didn't/haven't yet picked up NBC's overflow redzonish channel for the Prem coverage, even though NBC swears it's at no additional cost to the providers. The Sports Xtra app works wonderfully though, although I really would rather watch off games on my TV and not my Nook/Laptop.

Except for the fact TW doesn't have it

Digging NBC's presentation so far, including the AWESOME Palace tifosi before their match. They've been really good with the little details.

Sadly, that'll likely be the last positive thing on Palace this year. They desperately need Murray back from injury - the shambling corpse of Kevin Phillips can't get it done himself.

Yeah, I prefer the half volley from distance to the overhead. Call me crazy.

Fener has a nice squad of players. They should present a banged up Arsenal with a nice test. Kuyt, Raul Meireles, Moussa Sow, Yobo, Emenike (21 goals in 42 appearances for Spartak last year), Bruno Alves, and some Turks on the national team. They lose points for Emre but bringing him up gives me enough reason to post this: