DVDVR Message Board

The August Soccer Thread....

SirFozzie

I am curious to know how you all picked your squads?  This will be my second season of watching Premier football and I've narrowed it down to four teams.   1.  Man U - I like watching RVP.  It's not true but it always feels like he has to bail them out to win a game or get momentum.

UNITED! Or Man Utd, or Man United. Never Man U. I have to constantly remimd my wife of that.

I am curious to know how you all picked your squads?  This will be my second season of watching Premier football and I've narrowed it down to four teams.  

1.  Man U - I like watching RVP.  It's not true but it always feels like he has to bail them out to win a game or get momentum.

2.  Man City - They have amazing forwards and they look to play a very skillful brand of football.

3.  Swansea - Not at the top of the table but I have not watched one of their games and not been entertained.

4.  Arsenal - For some reason I hate Chelsea.  Don't know why but I do and I think I'd fit in with these guys.

Maybe I'll just have to watch another season to decide.  But seriously how did you decide on your squad?

If you pick United, City or even ArsenaLOL, you will be accused of being a front runner, just like Cristobal. Nobody respects a frontrunner.

Swansea, and Southhampton are both underdog teams who play exciting football. Can't go wrong choosing mid-pack teams who play exciting footy.

I don't know much about ...football (sigh), but I'm going to attempt to jump on the bandwagon with everyone else this year. The little NBC EPL site told me I'm supposed to support Chelsea, but I don't know much about anything. So at the very least, this will be an interesting little experiment...

I don't know much about ...football (sigh), but I'm going to attempt to jump on the bandwagon with everyone else this year. The little NBC EPL site told me I'm supposed to support Chelsea, but I don't know much about anything. So at the very least, this will be an interesting little experiment...

Trying that thing out, I picked "Huge Crowd", "An American Football owner", and said my favorite color was red, and it told me I support Everton.

So now I'm pretty sure one of you people programmed it.

• Like 1

HA!  I figured out how to get Arsenal:

hint:  Your answer to every question should be Arsene's answer to "which big name should I sign next"

Or alternately answer every question the way Paul F Tomkins-as-Andrew Lloyd Weber would:

The Rolling Who, now?

Pirates of the WHAT, now?

The Charlotte wheres, now?

My dear fellow, do shut up.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Well that Scotland - England match was awesome.  Didn't realize how much I've missed that fixture.  The marking at set pieces by Scotland was woeful, but overall 2 goals and a good showing is not a bad thing.  Strachan has been good in that role. 

Would love it if they made it an annual fixture again. 

I am curious to know how you all picked your squads?  This will be my second season of watching Premier football and I've narrowed it down to four teams.   1.  Man U - I like watching RVP.  It's not true but it always feels like he has to bail them out to win a game or get momentum.

UNITED! Or Man Utd, or Man United. Never Man U. I have to constantly remimd my wife of that.

It's never United considering there's teams in the football pyramid that actually have been United from two clubs. It's my biggest footballing thing that shouldn't bother me but does, especially supporting a United.

Follow Newcastle. You'll spend a month enjoying it when we start OK then get slowly more and more depressed as the club begins to implode from within again. I say, just watch a few games and highlight shows and stick with whoever takes your fancy. You have a luxury since you weren't raised to follow a side like this idiot.

I enjoyed England/Scotland though I question the wisdom of a side that continually gets it wide when nobody on the pitch can cross a football.

• Like 1

Three years ago (after World Cup 2010) I chose City, and 2012 was an incredible roller coaster ride with a thrilling victory to win the league. I have to come greatly respect Liverpool and their tradition, and the Premier League will be a better place when they get back into the top four (so long as it is not at City's expense). Obviously hate United, irrationally dislike Spurs, and not that fond of Chelsea or Arsenal.  If you want a chance to root for a team that can win big, City or Liverpool are my recommendations. I also considered Newcastle, but that looks like an interminable mess until Mike Ashley sells the club. Swansea and Everton are two entertaining mid-table options, but the best you can hope there is a Cup run and maybe a European spot occasionally.

Does anybody not irrationally hate Tottenham? When it's that widespread, perhaps it isn't so irrational.

I don't hate Spurs, but that's because I used to date a cute chick who was a Spurs fan.