DVDVR Message Board

The August Soccer Thread....

SirFozzie

Guest The Magnificent 7

Celtic B Team / Youths 1 - 0 Liverpool at the Aviva.  The question...How would Celtic Liverpool fare in the EPL SPL?  3rd place?

Yes I'm trolling FSW.  Good occasion and a good atmosphere for a friendly.

Bundesliga start yesterday had the rise of Aubamayang who scored three in his debute in Augsburg. And the return of Hertha BSC Berlin who beat Euro League participants Eintracht Frankfurt with 6:1.Werder Bremen, who had about 5 losses against third-and-lower-division teams in pre-season, the first round elimination in the German cup AND consecutive 14 or 15 games without winning league matches managed to squeeze out an away win against freshly promoted Eintracht Braunschweig. Lots of goals already with the games of Mainz vs Stuttgart and Schalke vs Hamburger SV completing matchday 1 later today!

Celtic's striker Anthony Stokes has been arrested in connection with an alleged assault on an Elvis impersonator.The Republic of Ireland player is being questioned by police in Dublin following an incident at a nightclub that took place in June after the World Cup qualifier against the Faroe Islands.According to the Irish Independent, police decided not to arrest the 25-year-old before Saturday's sell-out friendly between Celtic and Liverpool but have subsequently questioned him.During a visit home this summer, it was alleged that Stokes had been involved in an assault at Buck Whaley's nightclub on Leeson Street, Dublin.The Elvis impersonator, 42-year-old Anthony Bradley, was treated for a suspected broken nose and chipped teeth following an incident in the nightclub.

Twitter: *various unsourced rumors about Ronaldo taking his private jet to Manchester*

Paddy Crerand on MUTV: "I'm hearing rumours about Ronaldo in Manchester. No confirmation, there."

Twitter: "CRERAND CONFIRMS RONALDO IN MANCHESTER"

Muppets...

• Like 1

At the lower levels of England, it's not often you win your first game 5-1 and still end up 2nd in the table on Goal Differential, but my beloved U's (Cambridge United) are in that situation, after beating Halifax 5-1 (thanks partly to Halifax having two men sent off in the first 21 minutes), only to see Forest Green put the mother of all asswhoopins on Hyde, Eight-Nil.

Damien Comolli works for West Ham. Must be.

Also, I semi-lawled at a few Rawkites spouting the typical "gave his all" comments towards Downing. He did not. He only started to give a damn when he was told he'd be sold and by then it was too late. He even admits as much. And even then he was slightly above average. Fuck him.

I am curious to know how you all picked your squads?  This will be my second season of watching Premier football and I've narrowed it down to four teams.  

1.  Man U - I like watching RVP.  It's not true but it always feels like he has to bail them out to win a game or get momentum.

2.  Man City - They have amazing forwards and they look to play a very skillful brand of football.

3.  Swansea - Not at the top of the table but I have not watched one of their games and not been entertained.

4.  Arsenal - For some reason I hate Chelsea.  Don't know why but I do and I think I'd fit in with these guys.

Maybe I'll just have to watch another season to decide.  But seriously how did you decide on your squad?

I chose City back in 1996 after I got sick of the Rags spooging all over rec.sport.soccer when United won the double. I don't think anyone's topping that rationale.  :)

I am curious to know how you all picked your squads?  This will be my second season of watching Premier football and I've narrowed it down to four teams.  

1.  Man U - I like watching RVP.  It's not true but it always feels like he has to bail them out to win a game or get momentum.

2.  Man City - They have amazing forwards and they look to play a very skillful brand of football.

3.  Swansea - Not at the top of the table but I have not watched one of their games and not been entertained.

4.  Arsenal - For some reason I hate Chelsea.  Don't know why but I do and I think I'd fit in with these guys.

Maybe I'll just have to watch another season to decide.  But seriously how did you decide on your squad?

Choose Southampton.

When I first started following EPL I instantly bought into the romatnic mystique that Arsenal are run by a bunch of bizarre inbred 17th-century Lords and Ladies who had fallen under the spell of an equally bizarre French Svengali...and that this concoction was more interesting to follow than another oil billionaire buying sharknados full of talent.

How much is true and how much was "Arsenal way" PR to justify raking in money and never payng any out, I'm too much of a lazy dimwit to ever find out.  But I don't care.  I remain blissfully a mark for old-timey English shit and they seem pretty old-timey.

...although the very name "Cambridge United" mentioned upthread tugs at the dusty used-bookstore of my heart.

• Like 1

Whoever you pick, they're your team for life after that point. Beware falling for underdogs and/or cool names - it's the reason I stilll find myself seeking out Sheffield Wednesday scores. Which I guess is still easier than being an East Fife fan.

Shit.  I dropped Brescia after they were (once again) relegated after putting no effort at all into staying up.  I initially picked them because their uniforms and goal celebration were cool. 

Am I in trouble?

Sort of.  Andrea Carraciolo always did the bird flying thing and they would sort of flock behind him, and he was the only one who ever scored.

Sadly, it's impossible to find  gif of Brescia scoring, admittedly rare enough that a Yeti may be captured on film first.  Searches yield only shots of

1) Ibra humiliating them and

2) way too many fetish sites devoted to italian calcio guys in their underwear...or just enough depending on your perspective on dudes' junk.

I think I remember him playing with Palermo and looking decent, big guy, good feet. Weirdly I didn't remember that celebration, there's something like that on FIFA 06 or 07 though.

On a different note, I'm gonna hit the pub to watch Scotland/England later on, quite looking forward to it despite seeing the under 21's get cuffed 6-0 earlier, at least there'll be booze close at hand!