DVDVR Message Board

The August Soccer Thread....

SirFozzie

German Cup started this weekend and its first round gets completed later today. I´m already watching from a neutral pov, because my favourite club - FC St. Pauli - aswell as the club I sympathize most with outside of my favourites - Werder Bremen - are already eliminated. So far, four teams from the Bundesliga aswell as quite a few teams from the 2. Bundesliga bit the dust, all of them against teams from the third division or lower. The two heavyweights who started thus far, Dortmund and Leverkusen, advanced without too much trouble. Eliminated Bundesliga clubs at this point: Nuremberg, Gladbach, Braunschweig and Werder Bremen.Bayern and Schalke will play today´s matches.

German Cup started this weekend and its first round gets completed later today. I´m already watching from a neutral pov, because my favourite club - FC St. Pauli - aswell as the club I sympathize most with outside of my favourites - Werder Bremen - are already eliminated. So far, four teams from the Bundesliga aswell as quite a few teams from the 2. Bundesliga bit the dust, all of them against teams from the third division or lower. The two heavyweights who started thus far, Dortmund and Leverkusen, advanced without too much trouble. Eliminated Bundesliga clubs at this point: Nuremberg, Gladbach, Braunschweig and Werder Bremen.Bayern and Schalke will play today´s matches.

What?! The season hasn't even started yet, and big teams are out of the cup? Wow. 

Yep. And since the first German Cup matches put premiere and second division teams against 3rd and lower divisions, it is all the more astounding. To be fair, Braunschweig only just get promoted two consecutive seasons, no well established Bundesliga squad by any means. Gladbach and Nuremberg are somewhat mediocre, and the once great Werder Bremen has had some serious issues for the last few month and where battling relegation with a negative series of 14 games without a win. Still, it is professional teams losing to semi-pros or even clear amateurs, so still worth a big heads up.

Went on an old messageboard for first time in years, saw my old sig and was sad.

Posted Image

Screw that bellyaching.  Bring back the power rankings.  That was the least troubling list I've ever appeared on.

Just make sure to put Dewar in the Raven/Taz memorial last slot.

You no good sonofabitch!!!

GO HOME REAL YOU ARE DRUNK

Real Madrid may end up spending more than £200 million on bringing Gareth Bale to the Bernabeu, according to a report in the Telegraph.

Bale, 24, is Madrid’s No. 1 transfer target this summer but Spurs want Los Blancos to smash the world record fee in order to land their Welsh talisman.

The saga has dragged on for months, and it’s thought that Spurs will only opt to sell if an offer of over £100 million is made.

But that could only amount to half the cost of the overall transfer, with theTelegraph claiming Bale would be paid £7.8 million a year in wages over a six-year deal. With Spanish tax laws demanding 52% be paid to the government, the winger’s salary would be doubled to ensure he still takes home £150,000 a week.

Agent’s fees and other payments will take the full total of the transfer to over £200 million.

GO HOME REAL YOU ARE DRUNK

Real Madrid may end up spending more than £200 million on bringing Gareth Bale to the Bernabeu, according to a report in the Telegraph.

Bale, 24, is Madrid’s No. 1 transfer target this summer but Spurs want Los Blancos to smash the world record fee in order to land their Welsh talisman.

The saga has dragged on for months, and it’s thought that Spurs will only opt to sell if an offer of over £100 million is made.

But that could only amount to half the cost of the overall transfer, with theTelegraph claiming Bale would be paid £7.8 million a year in wages over a six-year deal. With Spanish tax laws demanding 52% be paid to the government, the winger’s salary would be doubled to ensure he still takes home £150,000 a week.

Agent’s fees and other payments will take the full total of the transfer to over £200 million.

I got that Bale is good, but that money, transfer fee alone, is so ridiculous.

Bundesliga starts with champions Bayern beating Moenchengladbach 3:1. Robben, Mandzukic and Alaba (PEN) scoring, Gladbach´s goal was an own goal by Dante.Alaba scored after Mueller had missed a penalty and Gladbach straight away conceeded another, Absurdly, it was Dominguez, who gave away BOTH penalties within what might have been sixty seconds of played time.Overall, the opening match went as expected, although Gladbach showed greatly improved from their cup failure and for a short time even seemed to be able to tie the game.

Arsenal get Fenerbache, which is a tougher tie than they might have liked, but what happens if Arsenal lose and Fenerbache has their appeal of exclusion from the Champions League (match-fixing) denied?

First post here so go easy on me DVDVR guys.

If CAS rules against Fenerbahce, even if they advanced over Arsenal, UEFA would decide which team replaces them due to "unforseen circumstances".  CAS' ruling is supposed to come out the 28th, the 2nd leg is played on the 27th.

"Hull City Tigers! Theeeeeeeey're grrrrrrrrreat!" - some fella on the internet

I just found out their name used to be Hull City AFC. I always thought it was Hull City Nil.Yeah, I stole that, I'm not ashamed to admit that.