DVDVR Message Board

The August Soccer Thread....

SirFozzie

Jesus fuck why?

I'm gonna guess he bitched and whined for Spurs to sell him because he wants to make the World Cup squad, and he's sure as shit not making it playing in the Reserves league.  Not with the way the 2nd tier wingers were playing in the GC.  Seattle probably had the DP spot open to take him, and he's automatically near the best player on the team, and will get time.  

And I don't think any mid-tier Premier League teams really needed a Winger that they'd take a flyer on him when there's better players out there.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Since we have quite a few supporters of Championship clubs like Leeds, Watford, Reading, etc.  who are your favorites for winner / promotion places?

I'll stick my  neck out first and go with Wigan as champions (doubtful if they can't hold on to the likes of McCarthy or Maloney in the next two weeks), Watford and Bournemouth (successive promotions baby) joining them in going up.  Leeds and Forest burn me every year when I predict them, so it's reverse jinx time. 

Jesus fuck why?

I'm gonna guess he bitched and whined for Spurs to sell him because he wants to make the World Cup squad, and he's sure as shit not making it playing in the Reserves league.  Not with the way the 2nd tier wingers were playing in the GC.

Be serious. Klinsmann is not replacing Dempsey with Graham Zusi or Joe Corona under any circumstances. If Dempsey has two functional legs next summer, he'll be on the squad. End of.

Seattle probably had the DP spot open to take him,

Portland's ahead of them in the allocation table, though. Not sure how they get around that.

and he's automatically near the best player on the team, and will get time.

He'd pretty much be automatically the best player in MLS. There's no reason he can't go to Everton or some other mid-table Premier League side. He'd be on one already if someone had bothered to cough up a couple more million.

And I don't think any mid-tier Premier League teams really needed a Winger that they'd take a flyer on him when there's better players out there.

...you do realize Dempsey isn't solely (or even primarily) a winger, correct?

Went on an old messageboard for first time in years, saw my old sig and was sad.

Posted Image

Screw that bellyaching.  Bring back the power rankings.  That was the least troubling list I've ever appeared on.

Just make sure to put Dewar in the Raven/Taz memorial last slot.

Went on an old messageboard for first time in years, saw my old sig and was sad.

Posted Image

Screw that bellyaching.  Bring back the power rankings.  That was the least troubling list I've ever appeared on.

Just make sure to put Dewar in the Raven/Taz memorial last slot.

I like too many people now, even guys I would traditionally dislike. Fucking BigFresh is even a solid dude these days. It's just Rovert really, and he's more bizarre than anything.

Well and PL, but he's an unbeatable evil.

Coventry City go into liquidation as the owners of the Ricoh Arena object based on the fact that they won't be playing there (andpaying them rent) any more.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23548760

Means at least a 15 point penalty.

As I heard the news, thought about Sky Blue Sam. Poor bugger.

Please tell me it gets better after the first, oh, 10 seconds. Because kittens those 10 seconds were painful.

The video is funny, but it basically screams to anyone who isn't already a convert "EVERYTHING YOU THINK IS DUMB AND/OR COMMUNIST ABOUT SOCCER IS TRUE!!!!!! IT'S FUCKING STUPID AND TEHGAY!!!!!!"

Really wrong-headed way to sell your product unless you are exclusively going for a tiny MSNBC hipster audience who wants to watch Futbol simply out of spite for Football.

Please tell me it gets better after the first, oh, 10 seconds. Because kittens those 10 seconds were painful.

The video is funny, but it basically screams to anyone who isn't already a convert "EVERYTHING YOU THINK IS DUMB AND/OR COMMUNIST ABOUT SOCCER IS TRUE!!!!!! IT'S FUCKING STUPID AND TEHGAY!!!!!!"

Really wrong-headed way to sell your product unless you are exclusively going for a tiny MSNBC hipster audience who wants to watch Futbol simply out of spite for Football.

oh-kaaaay.....

So weird to watch footy on a baseball field.

And what happened to the stripes on everton's shorts? Did they take them off and move them stupidly to. Their sleeves?

(Not a fan of ths year's kit. Not going to buy one anytime soon)

Coventry City go into liquidation as the owners of the Ricoh Arena object based on the fact that they won't be playing there (andpaying them rent) any more.http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23548760Means at least a 15 point penalty.

Yeah, this has been a pretty bleak pre-season. We've got a good young manager in Steven Pressley, a few players who are quality at this level, but everything just feels like shit. We've not been able to bring in any players to replace those who left when their contracts expired, meaning we played a 19yr old and a tiny 21yr old right back in central defence yesterday. The average age of our outfield players was 21. We've probably got the best keeper and striker in the league in Joe Murphy and Leon Clarke, but the latest news is that we're putting them up for sale. It never gets better at City.Next week sees our first "home" game of the season in bloody Northampton, where we'll be for the next 5yrs. I, like most Cov fans, will instead be at the Ricoh at that time to watch a legends match. Seeing as how only 210 season tickets have sold for Northampton, I think this will have the greater attendance.

was just coming here to see if Mag7/Butcher had noticed the Rangers issues, an overseas friend of mine gleefully tipped me off to the level of meltdown, so I hit one of the forums, ye gods, there's a lot of unhappy folks, at everyone.

Coventry City go into liquidation as the owners of the Ricoh Arena object based on the fact that they won't be playing there (andpaying them rent) any more.http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23548760Means at least a 15 point penalty.

Yeah, this has been a pretty bleak pre-season. We've got a good young manager in Steven Pressley, a few players who are quality at this level, but everything just feels like shit. We've not been able to bring in any players to replace those who left when their contracts expired, meaning we played a 19yr old and a tiny 21yr old right back in central defence yesterday. The average age of our outfield players was 21. We've probably got the best keeper and striker in the league in Joe Murphy and Leon Clarke, but the latest news is that we're putting them up for sale. It never gets better at City.Next week sees our first "home" game of the season in bloody Northampton, where we'll be for the next 5yrs. I, like most Cov fans, will instead be at the Ricoh at that time to watch a legends match. Seeing as how only 210 season tickets have sold for Northampton, I think this will have the greater attendance.

I know how it feels when the team you support are going through financial problems. Hopefully things will come good for you fella. Have a soft spot for the team as my first ever away game was there (be the Richoh won't it?) and it was Bradford City's last game in the Premier League.