DVDVR Message Board

Beyond Wrestling General Thread

Here is my favorite Beyond Match of the Year, and one of the better matches in the world this year

Biff Busick v. Timothy Thatcher Beyond Wrestling "Secret Show" 4/13

These are two of the three (along with Drew Gulak) of the most exciting new group of guys in Indy wrestling. They are working Euro style matches, although Euro style that owes more to Billy Robinson and Terry Rudge then Johnny Saint and Mark Rocco. Tight agressive mat wrestling and nasty uppercuts and punches. Nothing fancy just hard hitting and rough.  The big highspot was an uppercut that knocked Busick into the wall, and came off as a bigger deal then any of the crazy shit in earlier matches. I loved Busick finish here too, great sensible counter to lock in the choke nastier and looked really tight, I bought Thatcher going out. I could watch these guys work each other a ton of times.

• Like 2

Thanks! In fact, we have a live event coming up THIS SUNDAY in Providence, RI:

---

Beyond Wrestling
“Makin' Moves”
Sunday September 28th, 2014
Fete Music -103 Dike St. Providence, RI 02909
3:00 PM VIP Entry, 3:30 PM GA Entry, 4:00 PM Bell Time

fb-cover-Beyond-Makin-Moves.jpg

Matches Announced for Beyond Wrestling #MakinMoves:

*Thy Kingdom Come*
The Kingdom (Adam Cole, Michael Bennett, Maria) vs. Juicy Product (JT Dunn & David Starr) & Kimber Lee

*For The Live Crowd Only*
Eddie Edwards vs. Silver Ant (formerly known as Green Ant)

*Unfinished Business*
Psychotic F’n Machines (Tommaso Ciampa & Brian Cage) vs. Doom Patrol (Chris Dickinson & Jaka)

*First Time At Fete*
Biff Busick vs. AR Fox

*#TFT3 Preview*
Team TREMENDOUS (Dan Barry & Bill Carr) vs. Da Hoodz (Davey Cash & Kris Pyro)

*Street Fight*
Matt Tremont vs. Stockade

*#TFT3 Preview*
The Throwbacks (Dasher Hatfield & Mr. Touchdown) vs. Milk Chocolate (Brandon Watts & Randy Summers)

*CLL World Title Match*
Shynron © vs. Pinkie Sanchez

*#TFT3 Preview*
Fear & Loathing In New England (Aaron Epic & Dave Cole) vs. EYFBO (Mike Draztik & Angel Ortiz)

*The Show Stealer*
Brian Fury vs. Jay Freddie

*Elimination Four Way*
Eric Corvis vs. Ryan Rush vs. John Silver vs. Dick Justice

*Open Challenge*
Anthony Stone Calls Out Mr. Touchdown!

EDIT: I spoilered the poster but wanted to post a hi-res version since I think Championship Graphics did an awesome job (as usual).

web-Beyond-Makin-Moves.jpg

I've only seen a handful of matches on Youtube + most of 2013's Americanrana. I definitely like the vibe of their big shows. Chris Dickinson lives around me, I think. He's pretty good from the little I've seen of him. And I dig Busick and Gulak (does Gulak still do Beyond shows?)

That poster for Makin' Moves is pretty cool.

STL has a fun little indy scene and it's cool to see some of those guys get more exposure in recent years.  Have seen people like Davey Vega and Jake Dirden branch out a lot recently.  Hard to believe Dirden's only been wrestling for a little over two years.

Reposted from Wrestling KO:

EVOLVE 35 was a very good show: one of the better ones I've been to from a perspective of every match of the main card being solid, and some of them being great. Preshow was pretty bad, save Jesus De Leon showing some fire as a profane, arrogant heel.

Gulak showed more against Gargano than Busick did with Sabre Jr., but both matches are worth nominating. Gulak was given more and looked more competitive in a back-and-forth match, while Busick was viciously abused by Sabre until mounting a comeback. Thatcher looked completely awesome: his size and presence puts him above someone like Gulak, who for all his strengths looked more in his element at the merch stand in his Sonic the Hedgehog shirt than he did in the ring. Thatcher's opponent Tracy Williams showed a lot of promise as well. First I'd seen of Sabre Jr. I was impressed with his Euro stuff of brutal submissions where he looked to be breaking arms and fingers, less impressed with the Danielson-lite attempts at power moves and flying around.

After his match Busick challenged Thatcher, so looks like they'll be doing that one in EVOLVE too.

Galloway-Roderick Strong was really good, and not just because of Galloway. Definitely felt the most like an ROH match on the show, but Galloway comes off like a true star compared to everyone else. And after 10 years, I'm surprised to say that it kind of seems like old Rod Strong has become a good worker. He has a very believable smug heel thing going on, where he worked the whole match like a sleazy brat trying to steal a win, and it totally worked.

The tag title three-way was a lot of fun live, but it's the kind of match that would probably just end up looking like a clusterfuck of moves on tape. Fox hit some crazy dives. Rich Swann and Tony Nese were totally unimpressive: Swann in particular is very corny out there, winged tights and all, getting "Kevin Hart!" hollers from the crowd. But all the interference shenanigans, along with the crowd loving Moose, made it feel in person like a really good, reckless ECW shmozz. Highlight of the match was the move Caleb Conley hit on Fox at the end: one of the stiffest, nastiest spots I've ever seen in person.

Ricochet-Uhaa was decent, but for such a hyped match it seemed the story they were going for was badly told. They were trying a very MMA idea, where these two guys are good friends having a lighthearted bro rivalry to find out who's the best. But this lead to both of them just goofing around during what's supposed to be a title match, and never doing anything with any fire that would indicate actually trying to hurt an opponent. Hate-free wrestling isn't an entirely void concept, but neither dude was charismatic enough to pull it off, and the match they worked (indietastic "top this" stuff) is wrong for the story, which requires people who are more technically sound on the mat, and able to slow things down while building the tension. In other words, you needed Solar and Negro Navarro, or Steve Grey and Clive Myers. But Uhaa looks a million dollars live and you can totally understand why he's being pushed.

I'll wait until the tape's out to nominate anything, but Gargano-Gulak, Thatcher-Williams, Galloway-Strong, Busick-Sabre, and maybe even the elimination tag match are all well worth watching.

I haven't seen a ton of Beyond, but I thought the Kimber Lee v. JT Dunn match was really awesome. It was sub ten minutes and a very clear balls to the wall sprint, so the fighting spirit stuff didn't bother me as much as it normally would. Kimber's strikes are amazing. I love them on a level usually only reserved for things like Chuck Polumbo's punches. I'm on my phone so I can't link the match, but it's free on YouTube if someone else us so inclined.

This thread peaked my interest so I went to Beyonds YouTube channel and stumbled unto this gem, Shyron vs Ar Fox. Big fan of Fox already, this was my first look and Shynron and he was good I liked his style man. I'm guessing he is from the Wrestle Factory as the commentator says he wrestles alot for Wrestling Is & and that he won the Rey de Voladores last weekend. The match starts off slow but once it picks up they bust out a lot of cool shit.

I haven't seen a ton of Beyond, but I thought the Kimber Lee v. JT Dunn match was really awesome. It was sub ten minutes and a very clear balls to the wall sprint, so the fighting spirit stuff didn't bother me as much as it normally would. Kimber's strikes are amazing. I love them on a level usually only reserved for things like Chuck Polumbo's punches. I'm on my phone so I can't link the match, but it's free on YouTube if someone else us so inclined.

Take your pick:

Beyond is definitely one of the best indies around. Their entire ethos is refreshing to me, and their roster is so hugely varied that it's impossible not to enjoy something on every show. I think I might even prefer the small shows in random places more than the big shows at Fete. The atmosphere of those Dynano and CZW training center shows can't be beat. And CZW obviously took a cue from you guys since they've began running those Dojo Wars shows and putting them on YouTube. That's the Beyond influence.

Also, Drew is a good man and I used to IM with him a lot ten years ago.

Beyond is definitely one of the best indies around. Their entire ethos is refreshing to me, and their roster is so hugely varied that it's impossible not to enjoy something on every show. I think I might even prefer the small shows in random places more than the big shows at Fete. The atmosphere of those Dynano and CZW training center shows can't be beat. And CZW obviously took a cue from you guys since they've began running those Dojo Wars shows and putting them on YouTube. That's the Beyond influence.

Also, Drew is a good man and I used to IM with him a lot ten years ago.

Haha, what was your screen name?

I don't want to quote the videos, but the second (Trapped in the Closet) was the one I was referring to. I'll have to watch the other when I get off work. 

Thatcher really is pretty great. I like him as much as Gulak and more than Busick, I think. 

There's something wildly cool about Beyond where it is hard to really call it a single promotion. Honestly, while the Fete shows are all well and good that may be the least interesting aspect of the promotion. Beyond is almost a wrestling platform more than anything and I don't think that is a bad thing one bit. 

Well it looks like Beyond sadly had to cancel Makin' Moves today. The situation was completely out of their hands. 

Oh wow.

http://www.turnto10.com/story/26647131/providence-board-of-licences-to-hold-emergency-hearing-on-local-nightclub

Sounds like Beyond did the best job possible with a bad situation though - refunds for tickets and a meet & greet with the wrestlers at the venue parking lot.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey, we finally got some shows out...

#FeedingFrenzy - 2/16/14:

1. Buxx Belmar vs. Davey Vega vs. Danny Cannon vs. Matt Cage
2. Chuck Taylor vs. Kimber Lee
3. The Feeding Frenzy
4. CLL Title Match: AR Fox vs. Shynron
5. Anthony Stone vs. Myke Quest with Nicholas Kaye
6. The Juicy Product [JT Dunn & David Starr] vs. The Hooligans [Devin Cutter & Mason Cutter]
7. Michael Elgin & Tommaso Ciampa vs. Chris Dickinson vs. Jaka
8. CZW Tag Team Title Match: Beaver Boys [John Silver & Alex Reynolds] vs. Team TREMENDOUS [Dan Barry & Bill Carr]
9. SeXXXy Eddy vs. Johnny Cockstrong
10. SeXXXy Eddy & Johnny Cockstrong vs. The Wingmen [Gregory Edwards & Mark Shurman]
11. Kevin Steen vs. Drew Gulak

#CRITICALAcclaim - 3/23/14:

1. Stockade vs. Ryan Rush vs. Francis Kip Stevens vs. Jesse Vane
2. Submission Match: Drew Gulak vs. Tommaso Ciampa
3. Jaka vs. Eric Corvis
4. Michael Elgin vs. Jimmy Jacobs
5. No Disqualification: Matt Tremont & Anthony Stone vs. The Contingent
6. Chris Dickinson vs. Michael Bennett
7. Team TREMENDOUS vs. reDRagon
8. Chris Hero vs. JT Dunn

#Unbreakable - 5/18/14:

1. Jon Silver vs. Stockade vs. Latin Dragon vs. Buxx Belmar
2. Kevin Steen vs. Biff Busick
3. Drew Gulak vs. Kimber Lee
4. Atomicos Incredibles
5. Tommaso Ciampa vs. Jaka
6. The Colony vs. The Juicy Product
7. Tabarnak De Team vs. Crusade For Change
8. Michael Elgin vs. Michael Bennett
9. Kevin Steen & Young Bucks vs. Biff Busick & Team TREMENDOUS

#Uncomfortable - 6/22/14:

1. Pat Buck vs. VSK vs. Dorian Graves vs. Anthony Bowens
2. Anthony Stone vs. Dave Cole
3. SEX+CANDY vs. The Contingent
4. Ryan Rush, Francis Kip Stevens, Milk Chocolate vs. Stockade, Blake Morris, Rex Lawless, Jesse Vane
5. XWA Title Match: David Starr vs. Brian Fury
6. Officer Colt Cabana & Supercop Dick Justice vs. Team TREMENDOUS
7. Fans Bring The Weapons: Biff Busick vs. Matt Tremont
8. Eric Corvis vs. Darius Carter
9. Brian Cage vs. Chris Dickinson
10. @thecurthawkins vs. AR Fox
11. Last Man Standing: Chris Hero vs. JT Dunn with Shelly Martinez

#Americanrana14 - 7/27/14:

1. Tag Team Battle Royal
2. SEX+CANDY vs. Fear & Loathing In New England
3. THROW IN THE TOWEL MATCH (Loser Must Retire): Nicholas Kaye with Myke Quest vs. Anthony Stone with Natalia Stone
4. Brian Myers vs. Ryan Rush
5. Best Friends vs. Team TREMENDOUS
6. FIRST BLOOD MATCH: Jimmy Jacobs vs. Eric Corvis
7. EUROPEAN ROUNDS MATCH: Drew Gulak vs. Tommaso Ciampa
8. Silver Ant vs. Kimber Lee
9. Young Bucks vs. Juicy Product
10. Michael Elgin vs. Chris Dickinson

• 1 month later...
Beyond Wrestling
“Alive And Kicking”
Saturday November 29th, 2014
7:00 PM VIP Entry, 7:30 PM GA Entry, 8:00 PM Bell Time

fb-cover-Beyond-Alive-And-Kicking1.jpg

Matches Announced for Beyond Wrestling #AliveAndKicking:

*West Coast vs. East Coast Elimination Match*
Young Bucks (Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson), Fighting Taylor Boys (Chuck Taylor & Brian Cage-Taylor), Trevor Lee vs. Juicy Product (JT Dunn & David Starr), Doom Patrol (Chris Dickinson & Jaka), Dan Barry

*First Time At Fete*
Biff Busick vs. “Speedball” Mike Bailey

*Mixed Tag*
Drew Gulak & Kimber Lee vs. Pepper Parks & Cherry Bomb

*Styles Clash*
Silver Ant vs. Matt Tremont

*2 Out Of 3 Falls*
Anthony Stone vs. Dave Cole

*RWA Showcase*
Da Hoodz (Davey Cash & Kris Pyro) vs. The Influence (Mike Montero & Jason Devine)

*Show Stealer*

*And THIS Match*
Colin Delany vs. John Silver

*Winners Take All Four Way*
Osirian Portal (Ophidian & Amasis) vs. The Batiri (Obariyon & Kodama) vs. M1nute Men (Devin Blaze & Tommy Trainwreck) vs. EYFBO (Mike Draztik & Angel Ortiz)

web-Beyond-Alive-And-Kicking1.jpg

Beyond Wrestling
“Tournament For Tomorrow 3”
Sunday  November 30th, 2014
4:00 PM VIP Entry, 4:30 PM GA Entry, 5:00 PM Bell Time

fb-cover-Beyond-TFT31.jpg

Matches Announced for Beyond Wrestling #TournamentForTomorrow3:

*#TFT3 Round 1*
Young Bucks (Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson) vs. Da Hoodz (Davey Cash & Kris Pyro)

*#TFT3 Round 1*
Gentlemen’s Club (Chuck Taylor & Orange Cassidy with Swamp Monster) vs. Team TREMENDOUS (Dan Barry & Bill Carr)

*#TFT3 Round 1*
Osirian Portal (Ophidian & Amasis) vs. Juicy Product (JT Dunn & David Starr)

*#TFT3 Round 1*
Da Hit Squad (Monsta Mack & Mafia) vs. Doom Patrol (Chris Dickinson & Jaka)

*First Time Ever*
Eddie Edwards vs. Silver Ant

*Bull Rope Match*
Matt Tremont vs. Stockade

*Get Your Shit In*
Brian Cage vs. Pinkie Sanchez

*TFT 3:16 Finals – Four-Way Tag Team Elimination Match*
Block A Semifinalist #1 vs. Block A Semifinalist #2 vs. Block B Semifinalist #1 vs. Block B Semifinalist #2

web-11x17-Beyond-TFT31.jpg

Okay, this weekend seems sorta like a blast. Honestly, DIG the dual tournaments. Beyond is really good with some BONKERS matches. While Alive and Kicking already happened, can't wait to see Ant vs Tremont. Heard good things about Busick and Bailey. That 5v5 match could very well rule. Tremont vs Stockade sticks out on TFT3. I have very little clue what is on these RWA Chop Shop shows and those might be the best part of the weekend. 

For only $25 you can pre-order RAW FOOTAGE (720p hard-cam, unedited, wrestler commentary) from all four #TFT3Weekend events which works out to like $0.67 per match. Once the footage is online the pre-order period ends and we're jacking up the prices. Click here (http://bit.ly/BW-Deals) to take advantage of the deal and check out the lineups below.

tft3weekend.jpg

“Tournament For Tomorrow 3″ Match Listing:

TFT3 Round 1: Young Bucks vs. Da Hoodz
TFT3 Round 1: Gentlemen’s Club vs. Team TREMENDOUS
TFT3 Round 1: Osirian Portal vs. Juicy Product
TFT3 Round 1: Da Hit Squad vs. Doom Patrol
Brian Cage vs. Pinkie Sanchez
TFT3 Round 2: Young Bucks vs. Doom Patrol
TFT3 Round 2: Team TREMENDOUS vs. Juicy Product
Bull Rope Match: Stockade vs. Matt Tremont
TFT 3:16 Finals: Biff Busick & Drew Gulak vs Garden State Gods vs Milk Chocolate vs. Ninjas With Altitude
TFT3 Finals: Young Bucks vs Team TREMENDOUS

“TFT 3:16 Block B” Match Listing:

The Batiri vs. Milk Chocolate
Garden State Gods vs. M1nute Men
The Colony vs. Flawless & Lawless
Crusade For Change vs. Kimber Bombs
Pepper Parks/Jay Freddie/Colin Delany vs. Buxx Belmar/Mathieu St-Jacques/Mike Bailey
EYFBO vs. John Silver/Ryan “Rush” Galeone
Pinkie Sanchez vs. Scott Henson
The Colony vs. Milk Chocolate
Garden State Gods vs. Kimber Bombs

“Alive And Kicking” Match Listing:

Osirian Portal vs. M1nute Men vs. EYFBO vs. The Batiri
Colin Delaney vs. John Silver
RWA Showcase: Da Hoodz vs. The Influence
Silver Ant vs. Matt Tremont
Drew Gulak & Kimber Lee vs. Pepper Parks & Cherry Bomb
2 Out Of 3 Falls: Dave Cole vs. Anthony Stone
Biff Busick vs. Mike Bailey
Young Bucks, Fighting Taylor Boys, Trevor Lee vs. Juicy Product, Doom Patrol, Dan Barry

“TFT 3:16 Block A” Match Listing:

Ninjas With Altitude vs. Cam-An Connection
Devastation Corporation vs. The Influence
EYFBO vs. Team Friendship
Biff Busick & Drew Gulak vs. Brutal Burgers
Donovan Dijak vs. Mikey Webb
Buxx Belmar vs. Scott Henson
Ryan “Rush” Galeone vs. Julian Starr
Ninjas With Altitude vs. EYFBO
Biff Busick & Drew Gulak vs. Devastation Corporation