DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2013: August Thread... It's Getting Serious...

SirFozzie

Apparently Alfonso Soriano likes playing the LAA

13 RBIs in the last two games.

He also passed Phil Rizzuto for 15th on the Yanks all time RBI list. Which shows you how sad the Yanks RBI list is

Good on him. I'm glad he's finding continued success with the Yankees. As much as I groused about the guy, he would play hurt and would want to start every day, although that would be to the detriment of the team in 2009. Even still, he never exactly loafed or quit, and I appreciate that. 

Small sample size and everything because it's only been 17 games, but he's OPSing a hair under .900 and has 7 homers since joining the Yankees. With the Cubs, he had cracked 17 homers in 93 games and had an OPS around .750.

Anyway, he's 4 shy of 400 homers, but he's 37, so it's unlikely he reaches 500 even if he approaches 35 homers this year. If he has a couple more seasons like this though, and maybe even adds a World Series ring to his resume while the sun is setting on his career, but without reaching that 500 homers mark, does he make the Hall of Fame? By Bill James' standards, he's borderline right now. A couple more years similar to this one, and I think he's deserving of it. Definitely not 1st ballot, but he should get in. What do you guys think?

BTW, Kris Bryant is a monster. He's the closest this org has had to someone like Trout or Harper, even if he isn't on their level. Feels good to have a player with this much potential.

Dammit anyway, why can't MLB get something 100% right. So, awesome, replay is being expanded and will include manager challenges...except that once a challenge is used there is apparently no penalty for the manager coming out later and arguing over a play. Well, WTF is the point then? How about this, do away with the pointless challenges and Just put an extra ump into the booth in every ballpark with a 2 or 3 HDTV setup so they can get a view at multiple angles and have them wired into an earpiece for the head umpire in the game.

Unless they let them contest ball/strike calls the whole thing is pointless, an if that happens, then baseball will slow down to a glacial pace. I'm in my mid thirties(I'm going to sound like and old timer here in a second), but the game survived for a 150 years without, and can continue to do so, get rid of all of it, and the second FUCKING wildcard while there at it.

Unless they let them contest ball/strike calls the whole thing is pointless, an if that happens, then baseball will slow down to a glacial pace. I'm in my mid thirties(I'm going to sound like and old timer here in a second), but the game survived for a 150 years without, and can continue to do so, get rid of all of it, and the second FUCKING wildcard while there at it.

Managers arguing calls should be completely pointless and irrelevant if the calls would be right on a consistent basis. Every year though, gets worse and worse with blown calls and the solution can't be rotating all of the current umps out and bringing up umps from the minors. Replay itself isn't pointless if it ensures that most of these bullshit calls go by the wayside. However, replay still needs to expand to analyze balls and strikes. Shit, you don't even need replay. We live in the HD era where cameras can pick up exactly where a ball travels through or outside the strikezone. We're far beyond the point where umps squeezing out a pitcher or batter should even exist. Fuck. That. There's enough of a "human element" already on the field with every player wearing a uni. I don't need the additional "human element" of umps making the game about themselves or their agenda fucking up my game. And umps can gripe all they want, but we wouldn't be in this position if they didn't fucking suck at their jobs. Besides, it's not like they would lose their jobs. You're still going to need the home plate ump to call balls and strikes based on the info being fed to them, and they'll still need to make decisions without the assistance of a computer on if a player goes around or holds up on their swing, as well as if a pitcher is taking too long to throw, if a batter is taking too much time, if there is a balk, etc.

Games take as long as they do now because of the sweet ass time pitchers and batters take, time they take because hardly ever do you see an ump penalizing slow play. Consider how long an argument between a player and ump or a manager and ump takes, and then take the time it takes for a pitcher to throw a pitch, then it's fouled, then the batter steps outside the batters box and looks off at...who knows what, then he steps back in, then the pitcher needs to get his call from the catcher, next is the prepping to wind up and if there is a runner on base, you need to check the runner, then there's the wind up, and a pick off throw is made and you have to start the whole fucking process over again.

I'd take David Freese or an assortment of 25-30 3rd basemen over Sacred Cow Mike Moustakas. But I doubt Moore can give up on Mike Moustakas, even if that's pretty much the smartest course to take with a 25 year old who has never been good and will never be good.

And the whole Wong thing stings more since the approach in KC is essentially "we can't trust anybody we got in AAA right now, ACQUIRE JAMEY CARROLL AND EMILIO BONIFACIO IMMEDIATELY"... once again STL shows why they're lightyears ahead of KC in handling a baseball team.

Seriously, this team was built on such a fucking house of sand that Miguel Tejada being taken out for the rest of the year due to Adderall an injury has just killed any sort of spirit in this team. Holy fucking shit, the last 3 games have been brutal to follow. They lost a series to the fucking Marlins that they should have swept the Marlins. Losing on one night because they can't hit worth a crap v. Fernandez (who is good, but got a giant strike zone, look at Pitch f/x) and the Marlins pen, and the losing on the next night because fucking Elliot Johnson bucknered a play and they chose to let the tying and winning runs score on groundouts.

Emilio Bonifacio didn't suck out loud tonight. Jamey Carroll looked like dogcrap at the plate from what i've seen though. I'm sure Emilio will start to suck in time.

Lorenzo Cain is gone, and replaced by fucking slaphitting Jarrod Dyson, who mostly grounds out to the right side of the infield or strikes out.

Justin Maxwelll is usually good as long as he never has to field a baseball. His hitting has been going well, but he is one of the worst defensive outfielders i've seen. Holy fucking shit, Justin Maxwell sucks so fucking bad in the outfield. No fucking wonder he's 29 and never played a full season.

Mike Moustakas is gone with the longest day to day injury and they have Emilio and Carroll at 3rd for the moment.

Chris Getz is having an inexplicable hot streak, but it doesn't matter how many hits he gets, Chris Getz is still an almost 30 year old one-position 2nd baseman who is the banner freaking case for what's wrong with this organization

A bunch of fucking guys who fetched coffee for the overrated John Schuerholtz are fucking going to get an extension to continue to waste my fucking time with their fucking 2 week teases and meltdowns because Dayton Moore can't build a winning team because he is fucking clueless and doesn't know what it takes to have a winning team.

I don't care that they're 5 over .500 right now, they're playing like a team lucky to win fucking 80 games. None of the hitters are hitting to what they should be doing. None of them. It's fucking remarkable that essentially 7 guys are obviously underperforming, and the other two are 27 year olds (Cain and Lough)

Moustakas right now looks like the classic AAAA player.  Waaaaay too good for AA (hitting .347 there), probably too good for AAA (.290) but not good enough for the majors (career .245 or whatever).  He's still really young though and could still put it together.

But they ain't making the playoffs this year.

The thing about the Royals is that trading Myers isn't what necessarily screwed them. Keeping Francoeur as a starter for two months hurt them a lot, as did Kelvin Herrera's atrocious start to the year. If they play .500 ball in May instead of going 8-20, they're right in the thick of the WC race instead of scraping and clawing to get back into it.