DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2013: August Thread... It's Getting Serious...

SirFozzie

There are only 3 teams without a complete game from a starting pitcher this year. Two of those are the Twins and Astros. The third team? The Orioles. I assume it's because their pitching staff is atrocious.

The current espn.com headline is about the Royals hot run, but, um, I think the title is about as backhanded a compliment as you can get before it becomes a straight backhand.

"Wait, you're still here?"

If the Royals, As, Rays and Pirates all make the playoffs in the same season, I'd place all the sports executives over at Fox and Turner on immediate suicide watch.

And ESPN will still find a way to air 3 or 4 Yankees-Mets games on Sunday Night Baseball next season.

The current espn.com headline is about the Royals hot run, but, um, I think the title is about as backhanded a compliment as you can get before it becomes a straight backhand.

"Wait, you're still here?"

If the Royals, As, Rays and Pirates all make the playoffs in the same season, I'd place all the sports executives over at Fox and Turner on immediate suicide watch.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Don't you know that that's an impossibility? That that could never happen? That I'd use all my power to keep something like that from happening?

Hey Bryce Harper-

Don't fight a team with Evan Gattis, Justin Upton, Freddie Freeman, Dan Uggla, Jason Heyward, and Brian McCann on it. Take your base, and your medicine. Douche.

Obviously, the Royals need to trade a future all-star RF prospect to get an ace for 2014.

Seriously.. what a fucking disaster of a start. I just don't enjoy James Shields starts very much because it never seems like he has an easy start. Even games where he has a large lead are ordeals to get through (like the late June start in Minnesota). His numbers are a testament to his ability to not melt under every jam like a bunch of other starters. But it never seems like he has starts where he just rolls into the 7th or 8th inning. It's typically starts where he runs up 100 pitches by the 6th inning.

But Danny Duffy is starting tomorrow. Time to see what a 4 ERA in AAA means in the majors!

If they seriously drop a series to the Twins, and that's a realistic possibility because the Twins have the advantage in the pitching matchup, then they're going to get waxed by the Red Sox

Eric Young Jr. and Juan Lagares stole the show for the Mets last night. Finally some young guys with hustle who can hit and field!

EY Jr is only two and a half years younger than David Wright. Not sure what that says about him. Lagares is interesting going forward though...he'll probably end up as a fourth OF thanks to his glove, as I'm really not sure there's really anything sustainable with the bat. Awful plate discipline, gap power at best...but he's only 23. Wilmer Flores could be *real* fun though.

Who is the favorite now? Braves are on a fucking tear.. Tigers are on a tear.. Pirates still doing it, Red Sox/Rays still doing it..   This October is going to be insane.

It will be demure, reserved, precise, and orderly as always.

And Goddamn you hippies for shattering Shelby Miller's elbow bone with your "groovy" voodoo.

Who is the favorite now? Braves are on a fucking tear.. Tigers are on a tear.. Pirates still doing it, Red Sox/Rays still doing it..   This October is going to be insane.

In the AL, I'd probably take the Rays. The DL stint for Price earlier this year and the one for Moore now have effectively limited their innings so they'll be fresh for October. Their pen has also been sneaky good (as usual) this year, and the offense has been a machine for the first time in years.

NL is much tougher, because while the five teams are already essentially decided, one doesn't really stand out. I actually think the Dodgers are the team to beat right now with the way they're clicking, but if the Braves get the top seed, they've been unstoppable at Turner this year: 14-2 against the five other NL teams above .500. That's gross.

Conversation between my friend Josh and I:

Me: Ok, should I be happy that the Red Sox pulled two games they had no real right to win out of the fire on consecutive nights, or be pissed off that they very nearly lost a series (or even be swept) by the Astros?

Josh: Yes.

I have no idea who should be the favorite but the Pirates must meet the Braves in the playoffs. Call it fate. Call it destiny. Call it kismet.

Who's slow as fuck on the Braves? Just in case history repeats...

There's about fifteen Braves who'd fall under that category. Freddie Freeman works best, seeing as how he's the 1b....