DVDVR Message Board

Parks and Recreation

Ellsworth Toohey

It was a great episode, you should watch it. Really touching. At the end, Pratt sings them off with an infamous Parks & Rec song, Aubrey and Jim do something... weird, and a special cameo from a certain City Council member.

Oh, and Aubrey clearly mouths "Fuck You" in a tight reaction shot in response to something they do before the end of the show.

Yeah I ended up recording it. Aubrey and Pratt were the best parts of the episode to get threw it every time Seth talked I just kept cussing at him until a cast member talked again.

Finale was epic and I will miss this show greatly. For those who haven't read it buy and read Knope's book it is really good if you love the show.

I thought it was funny that no matter how many years in the future we go Christie Brinkley still doesn't age.  Almost as if he made a deal with the devil to get a wife so beyond his his abilities    :lol:

Remember from an episode several seasons ago we found out Jerry has a huge penis because the doctor didn't even check him for what he was suppose to he was that memorized by his package.

• Like 1

I thought it was funny that no matter how many years in the future we go Christie Brinkley still doesn't age. Almost as if he made a deal with the devil to get a wife so beyond his his abilities :lol:

Remember from an episode several seasons ago we found out Jerry has a huge penis because the doctor didn't even check him for what he was suppose to he was that memorized by his package.

Just watched that episode last night, Season 4 Episode 1

• Like 1

Damn this show tugs at the heartstrings from time to time, im halfway through season 4 and the room has gotten a little dusty at times. I cant remember them all off the top of my head but Ron paying for Andy to go to college definitely got me.

Love this show. Apologies for the double post.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I finally got through Parks and Rec. I didn't watch it during its initial run because the first few episodes were really bad. I decided to start this year, largely because I heard how great the guy who played the Men's Rights Activist was (ahem).

Series review: I really liked it a lot. I didn't love it like I did Gilmore Girls or The Office or Kimmie Schmidt or Silicon Valley. But that's on me, and not anything the show did. I get why people love it, whereas I just liked it a ton.

It had a lot of up-and-down moments for me. The show really found itself when it became a live action Springfield, filled with ridiculous background characters that the department had to deal with in their attempt to make the town better. I also really liked the whole nuances of town government parts a ton, since I was a small-town newspaper reporter for a really long time and got to see how it worked to some degree.

Also, Ron Swanson is on the short list of best characters in television history. The libertarian-in-government angle was so great to start with, and then they made him the last of a dying breed outdoorsman type with Tea Party flourishes, and he was never, ever a villain. Anything involving Tammy 2 was comedy gold, too.

And all the odd basketball references and cameos were also a gigantic A+++.

The slight downside came to me when it went sentimental/group hug. It didn't feel earned all of the time. A lot of that is because it's a 22-minute sit-com and you have to have jokes and laugh lines and shoehorning in emotional payoffs can get really tricky. Those moments really worked when they clicked. But they didn't always hit 100% of the time.

The BIG downside for me came with anything really involving Ann or Chris. Ann was always flat. I couldn't tell you anything about the character beyond "nurse and best friend." She was supposed to be the audience's proxy, as a civilian now entering this oddball world of public service. But Ben ended up as sort of that, too (he had more of the "WTF?" looks to the camera than anyone else) but also added to that role by having a position of authority (in his initial foray) and then by slowly revealing himself as a board gaming/fantasy/sci-fi dork. Chris was just too intense and worked a lot better in a less-is-more capacity. The episodes that highlighted Chris were way too much for me, especially during the write-off with he and Ann.

The final episode was pretty note perfect. The only change I would have made would be how it ended.

I think the heart of the show was always the Leslie/Ron dynamic. They were both polar opposites in terms of their ideas about government and also in terms of general demeanor. But they used those differences to challenge each other and make each other better people. I would have loved it if the final scene was Ron in the canoe in the National Park, by himself enjoying nature, which is all he ever wanted, and it's because Leslie knows that and has the chance to provide him with the opportunity.

But I'm glad I watched this.

• Like 1

I finally got through Parks and Rec. I didn't watch it during its initial run because the first few episodes were really bad. I decided to start this year, largely because I heard how great the guy who played the Men's Rights Activist was (ahem).

Series review: I really liked it a lot. I didn't love it like I did Gilmore Girls or The Office or Kimmie Schmidt or Silicon Valley. But that's on me, and not anything the show did. I get why people love it, whereas I just liked it a ton.

It had a lot of up-and-down moments for me. The show really found itself when it became a live action Springfield, filled with ridiculous background characters that the department had to deal with in their attempt to make the town better. I also really liked the whole nuances of town government parts a ton, since I was a small-town newspaper reporter for a really long time and got to see how it worked to some degree.

Also, Ron Swanson is on the short list of best characters in television history. The libertarian-in-government angle was so great to start with, and then they made him the last of a dying breed outdoorsman type with Tea Party flourishes, and he was never, ever a villain. Anything involving Tammy 2 was comedy gold, too.

And all the odd basketball references and cameos were also a gigantic A+++.

The slight downside came to me when it went sentimental/group hug. It didn't feel earned all of the time. A lot of that is because it's a 22-minute sit-com and you have to have jokes and laugh lines and shoehorning in emotional payoffs can get really tricky. Those moments really worked when they clicked. But they didn't always hit 100% of the time.

The BIG downside for me came with anything really involving Ann or Chris. Ann was always flat. I couldn't tell you anything about the character beyond "nurse and best friend." She was supposed to be the audience's proxy, as a civilian now entering this oddball world of public service. But Ben ended up as sort of that, too (he had more of the "WTF?" looks to the camera than anyone else) but also added to that role by having a position of authority (in his initial foray) and then by slowly revealing himself as a board gaming/fantasy/sci-fi dork. Chris was just too intense and worked a lot better in a less-is-more capacity. The episodes that highlighted Chris were way too much for me, especially during the write-off with he and Ann.

The final episode was pretty note perfect. The only change I would have made would be how it ended.

I think the heart of the show was always the Leslie/Ron dynamic. They were both polar opposites in terms of their ideas about government and also in terms of general demeanor. But they used those differences to challenge each other and make each other better people. I would have loved it if the final scene was Ron in the canoe in the National Park, by himself enjoying nature, which is all he ever wanted, and it's because Leslie knows that and has the chance to provide him with the opportunity.

But I'm glad I watched this.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Yeah, I'll watch it, because P&R is the best comedy to come out in the last decade (FIGHT ME), but I'm not too psyched that it's shot exclusively on webcams and stuff.

But ultimately I'll take whatever I can get.

• Like 1

Hello all. I started watching Parks and Recreation for the first time this year as it airs on Sky Comedy. I've caught episodes from different seasons and it's turned into one of my favourite TV shows. Leslie Knope, Ron Swanson and April Ludgate are my favourite characters. Might have to watch Parks and Rec from the beginning even though I've seen some episodes already including season openers. Would you recommend watching from the start? Reading the whole thread as well? Cheers.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

I'd recommend you start with season 2, as S1 is meh.  If you want to start from the beginning though, it's only 6 episodes, so it's fine.  

Know that the show gets much, MUCH better as soon as Mark (Paul Schneider) leaves the show around the end of season 2.  Though he was supposed to come back in some cameos later on, there was apparently a major rift between the creators and him, because he's never seen or referred to again.  And the show is much better off for it. 

• Like 4

More like Mark Brandanaquits.

I'll admit to being slightly leery of Rob Lowe joining the show (I thought bringing in Adam Scott was brilliant), but Rob Lowe's character Chris is so good and awesome and there were many tears for him later on.

Season 2 also begins to abandon the weird relationship with Andy and Ann and then that's rarely referred to again except maybe a couple times where Andy calls back to it.

• Like 2

The other day we were watching Fast Five because my daughter wanted to watch a fun action movie (she liked it a lot) and at the beginning of the movie they're showing all of these news clips about Dom. And near the end of those clips...there's Perd Hapley and I got all excited to see Perd and for the Parks and Rec reunion. I also love that the guy who plays Perd is always playing a news guy.

Are you there Perd-verts? It's me, Perd!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, J.H. said:

Louis CK was in like... what 3-5 episodes? Nothing major.S2 is where Donna really starts to shine more and of course poor, poor Jerry

James

He was in 6 episodes, 99% of them in Season 2, and was in a relationship with the main character. Yeah, it's not like it's half of the season or anything, but Louis CK still fucking sucks.

• Like 1

eh... I keep forgetting season 2 wasn't a full order either. In the end Louis ends up as a footnote in the history of the show simply because other people followed him and were so much better.  5I mean if we hadn't brought him up, I'd forgotten all about him being in it as opposed to say Billy Eichner, who hada  short but damn memorable run on the show because he was doing what Billy Eichner does best.

James