DVDVR Message Board

Spring Training Opens 2/18/15

Dolfan in NYC

The Reds are in payroll hell.

They have $81M committed already (which includes Cueto's option and the buyouts on Ludwick and LOL Jack Hannahan). Chapman, Leake, and Latos are all in line for absurd arb raises. Frazier, Mesoraco, and Cozart are all arb-eligible for the first time. Last year, they had a team record $114MM payroll, and finished in fourth.

So...how about those Joey Votto and Homer Bailey contracts?

• Like 1

From listening to toronto radio, it does seem like people would like to have a Canadian star on the team. Brett Lawrie is one thing, but Votto is at a different level obviously.

(Not a Jays fan, so not a personal issue for me.)

I'm still waiting to hear what the Marlins offer to extend Stanton is going to be.  

I personally think they should do whatever Lorde says she can't afford in Royals.  

IF the Marlins aren't willing to open the bank for at least a respectable offer(what 7 year 200 mil?),  they ought to trade him before the rest of MLB realized it so they have maximum leverage. I would imagine they probably will break the bank for him, but you never know with Loria. . .

I'm still waiting to hear what the Marlins offer to extend Stanton is going to be.  

I personally think they should do whatever Lorde says she can't afford in Royals.  

IF the Marlins aren't willing to open the bank for at least a respectable offer(what 7 year 200 mil?),  they ought to trade him before the rest of MLB realized it so they have maximum leverage. I would imagine they probably will break the bank for him, but you never know with Loria. . .

Royals need a right handed power bat, who could ideally split time between right field and DH... And Glass has all that fresh postseason tickets/merch money...

(Yes, I realize this has 0% chance of happening. But I'm going to pretend otherwise for a day or so.)

Kevin Youkilis is retiring

I thought he WAS retired.  He didn't play at all this year and barely played last year.  And was stealing paychecks for a couple years before THAT.  So, yeah, thought he was already retired.

Kevin Youkilis is retiring

I thought he WAS retired.  He didn't play at all this year and barely played last year.  And was stealing paychecks for a couple years before THAT.  So, yeah, thought he was already retired.

Actually, Youk played half of this year in Japan before - SHOCK!!! - getting hurt.  But yes, the fact remains he was cooked 3 years ago.

In other news -  The Brewers picked up the option on Yovani Gallardo, ditto the Angels on Huston Street and the Nats on Denard Span.  Oh and the Cards picked up the super cheap option on Lackey, of course.  Dan Haren exercised his $10 million player option to stay with the Dodgers.  The O's picked up the options on Wei-Yin Chen and Darren O’Day.  And the Marlins picked up the option on Jeff Mathis.

Those whose options were denied - Nick Markakis, Nick Hundley (with the O's), Adam LaRoche, Rafael Soriano (with the Nats) and Mike Adams (Phillies).

Mmm, misspent money.

Apparently the Twins are now considering bring Renteria in for an interview

The Yanks will extend the QO to David Robertson... will be interesting to see if he accepts it.

Rangers decline Alex Rios 13.5 million option (not surprisingly)

Catching up on some stuff

Twins are going to introduce Paul Molitor as manager tomorrow (Tuesday)

The Dodgers will extend a QO to Hanley Ramirez and with the Braves with Ervin Santana

The As will not extend on to Jed Lowrie

This is surprising. The Cubs and Tsuyoshi Wada agreed on a contract for 2015. I figured Wada would be as good as gone. I'm happy he'll be back. He's a good hand to have in the rotation. It does make me wonder if the Cubs will now only target one starting pitcher. If they get Lester and someone else, like maybe Russell Martin, I'll be ecstatic.

This is surprising. The Cubs and Tsuyoshi Wada agreed on a contract for 2015. I figured Wada would be as good as gone. I'm happy he'll be back. He's a good hand to have in the rotation. It does make me wonder if the Cubs will now only target one starting pitcher. If they get Lester and someone else, like maybe Russell Martin, I'll be ecstatic.

You know, I know he is the new hotness this offseason and all...but if there is one guy who reeks of a trap to me, it is Russell Martin.

I've been very very very wrong before.  But man, the whole Russell Martin has become the new Johnny Bench thing is...puzzling.

I know someone's gonna roll out the stats and I am going to be told I am an idiot but whatever.  My gut tells me he's going to get a McCann-like deal and it will get ugly quickly.

Plenty to be ecstatic about. It's Maddon Day.

OgPF5Td.jpg

EDIT: Also, having hope and getting excited in the face of futility is what we Cubs fans do. 

Oh God OhGod.  The hardest part will be saving the orgasm until it all falls apart.  I....don't....know...if...I...can...hold...it.........

Who am I kidding, this is going to be a multi-gasm event.

• Like 1

You know, I know he is the new hotness this offseason and all...but if there is one guy who reeks of a trap to me, it is Russell Martin.

I've been very very very wrong before.  But man, the whole Russell Martin has become the new Johnny Bench thing is...puzzling.

I know someone's gonna roll out the stats and I am going to be told I am an idiot but whatever.  My gut tells me he's going to get a McCann-like deal and it will get ugly quickly.

The biggest problem with Martin is the length of contract he and his agent will seek. Basically, I'm looking for 2, maybe 3 years, of Martin playing fairly well behind the plate. That third year, and definitely the fourth year, are huge question marks. Then you have a way, way, way overpaid backup 1B. Especially so if Schwarber turns out to be the real deal and can play behind home plate.

The alternative is sticking with Castillo, who has consistently been a slow starter. Even when he gets going, he's OK at best. Oh, and he still has problems framing his pitches, a problem he's had since he became the full-time catcher.