DVDVR Message Board

UFC 178: Johnson vs. Cariaso (9/27/2014) - Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

You can't argue McGregor character and charisma in getting people interested in him whether love or hate him.  But like Brock I am not sure if he has proven himself as a champion fighter.   He was probably going to finish Poirier (especially the shot or two behind the head) but that was a "best for business" stoppage there.  Especially given how much rope other fighters got that night. 

I would like to see McGregor fight the winner or even loser of Edgar vs Swanson.  That would be a huge test

You can't argue McGregor character and charisma in getting people interested in him whether love or hate him.  

It is strange though.  Dana has anointed two people as "huge" (specifically in GSP/Brock terms) in the last year (Rousey and McGregor), but it hasn't translated to actual sales matching them.  I've seen people online saying, "McGregor brought this card to at least 750,000 buys."  Really?  The BWW I went to last night was nearly empty and our waiter even said to us, "I don't know why they are showing this fight.  No one cares."  I get he is a promoter and some would argue doing his job, but shouldn't it at least be partially grounded in reality?

You can't argue McGregor character and charisma in getting people interested in him whether love or hate him.  

It is strange though.  Dana has anointed two people as "huge" (specifically in GSP/Brock terms) in the last year (Rousey and McGregor), but it hasn't translated to actual sales matching them.  I've seen people online saying, "McGregor brought this card to at least 750,000 buys."  Really?  The BWW I went to last night was nearly empty and our waiter even said to us, "I don't know why they are showing this fight.  No one cares."  I get he is a promoter and some would argue doing his job, but shouldn't it at least be partially grounded in reality?

Yeah Hooters I went to had the same fate.  The bartender even asked me if the main event was cancelled again

It has been already determined rightly or wrongly that the reason for the lack of interest is because of Demetrious Johnson in the main event in that nobody cares about him.  seems like it is the universal opinion among the "MMA media".   The fact that you have a completely stacked card from prelims main event on and the main event is the only reason is a bit of a joke and a huge insult

I get he is a promoter and some would argue doing his job, but shouldn't it at least be partially grounded in reality?

In promotion, you don't have to be.

Anyways, Rousey has already far surpassed the women's fighting ceiling. Laila Ali vs. Jackie Frazier-Lyde, with all the media coverage it got, only did 100,000 buys. That's why that had to shoehorn her (Laila) onto Oscar De La Hoya cards and the like. Eventually HBO put the kabosh on that. Rousey came in the post Lesnar era so there wasn't anyone really to siphon popularity off of other than GSP and Anderson. But UFC already had some confidence she could draw by herself. However, there is a ceiling still there just because it's women's fighting. She has the potential to do over 500k with Cyborg and Carano, but I am not sure what you can do with her past that. There isn't really a whole bunch of stars on the horizon. Maybe Julianna Pena can become someone down the road, but I am not betting on that. They also have to be really careful about booking her every 2-3 months. I know she has a weird schedule just because of her movie career, but booking her like that can take some of the the luster away. Why do I have to pay 60 dollars to see her fight when she already has a more important fight line up 2 months later?

McGregor is already the biggest name in his division and has the potential to sell PPVs down the road. The Poirier fight worked because Dustin was willing to trash talk back. However, the division is at a point where the UFC is going to have to eat it on PPV before he starts doing real solid numbers if McGregor does become champ. Personally, I would put the fight where Conor challenges for the title on Fox and in a venue in Boston, Chicago, and any other place with a large Irish-American population. He has been around for only a handful of UFC fights and already has a larger ticket buying fanbase than the John Duddys of the world had.

• Like 1

Cerrone vs Melendez/Pettis winner.

Umm. Yeah about that. There is a this guy named Rafael dos Anjos. He sort of beat Cerrone, then finished Benson Henderson. 

But then there is this other guy named Khabib, who suplexed that dude all over the place. 

OK and then Dos Anjos lost to Nurmagomedov.  

That's what Zero said :)

I gotta say..... Romero isn't in the wrong at all. Kevin Iole confirmed that the inspector told him to stay there cause he need to be wiped down, if it's anybody's fault it's partially Romero's corner, but the majority is Big John and the commission. Win shouldn't be overturned. Also, It's sour grapes. If Kennedy was so disgusted with this, he shouldn't have fought that third round...

Edit.... And Dana just confirmed at the presser it was a UFC cutman who put the Vaseline on Romero's face. So, It's not even his corner's fault one bit. 

Indeed. Romero was so tired, I'm not sure 25 seconds would have made that much difference. That finishing flurry would have come whatever happened, I reckon. 

Dana's gonna Dana:

Dana White tells @ArielHelwani on the post-fight show: "McGregor is the real deal. He is legit. Bigger than Brock Lesnar. Bigger than GSP."

Of course he said that. Are Lesnar and GSP current UFC fighters?

I'm already so sick of this Connor McGregor BS. The guy is the new Nick Diaz where he's got all this internet hype and nothing to back it up. Aldo, Edgar, or Mendes starch him. The guy already has two losses for fuck sake, he's not some undefeated phenom. Let's see how he does against a wrestler before we anoint him as the future.

• Like 1

Let's see how he does against a wrestler before we anoint him as the future.

What is this? 2006?

How about watching the actual fights? You don't think this man dusts off Ricardo Lamas (#4)?

Anyways, he is fighting the Aldo/Mendes winner either way it goes. Most likely in Dublin.

What is this? 2006?

How about watching the actual fights? You don't think this man dusts off Ricardo Lamas (#4)?

Anyways, he is fighting the Aldo/Mendes winner either way it goes. Most likely in Dublin.

He probably beats Lamas sure. But I have seen nothing to indicate that Edgar and Mendes wouldn't take him down at will. I'm not even saying McGregor won't be great one day, the hype is just crazy for this point in his career. If he beats the Aldo/Mendes winner the hype will be far more justified but for the level of hype he's got right now you'd think he just KO'd Aldo in 30 seconds and then did it again in a rematch.

What is this? 2006?

He probably beats Lamas sure.

So what is the problem then? People should be able to get excited by legit contenders who know how to market themselves. They are few and far between. You just have to know how to sift through all the bullshit. It'll save you the headache.

He probably beats Lamas sure.

So what is the problem then? People should be able to get excited by legit contenders who know how to market themselves. They are few and far between. You just have to know how to sift through all the bullshit. It'll save you the headache.

how many contenders are people excited about at Featherweight?

one.

sure, Edgar vs Aldo would be a great fight to have happen, but i don't know of anyone clamoring for it. People already want to see Conor fight the champ. It's not like lightweight where there's already 15 #1 contenders. make the fight.

I'm already so sick of this Connor McGregor BS. The guy is the new Nick Diaz where he's got all this internet hype and nothing to back it up. Aldo, Edgar, or Mendes starch him. The guy already has two losses for fuck sake, he's not some undefeated phenom. Let's see how he does against a wrestler before we anoint him as the future.

Oh man, two losses! He's such a con. Nobody can improve over the course of four years.

Let's nix Werdum's title shot, while we're at it. He's got even more losses, the bloody fraudster.

• Like 2

PPV buys are becoming irrelevant for the UFC at this point with all the TV deals they have in place and Fight Pass.  Not saying PPV business isn't on the decline because it is, but PPV is a dying industry anyway.  Fight Pass and Fox are helping them get off PPV.  

I think they just need to figure out how to get down to 10 or 11 PPVs a year max instead of 13 so they have to end up cancelling one.

I'm really interested to see what they do in regards to PPV next year, but I'm not optimistic they're going to completely go away from the model. There are only three PPVs scheduled for 2015 so far, but the fight week show in July is being billed as 189. That means that in between 183 on SB weekend and that show, there will be five numbered shows in five months. Obviously Memorial Day will be one, but that's still four other slots to fill. This year, they had (I believe) 12 before cancellations...looks like they're going in that same boat again.

• 2 weeks later...

I think they had 13 before cancellations and 12 after UFC 176 getting cut.  With Fight Pass, FS1, and Fox, they really don't need that many.  In 2013, I believe the PPV buyrate average was higher than the one in 2012, but that was also with one less PPV I think.  That's also going by the Meltzer numbers, assuming they are accurate.

Because of the amount of injuries, they don't have a roster of main event level talents to sustain that type of PPV schedule.