DVDVR Message Board

UFC 178: Johnson vs. Cariaso (9/27/2014) - Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_178_Johnson_vs._Cariaso_Poster.jpg?1

UFC 178: Johnson vs. Cariaso

September 27, 2014

Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

UFC Flyweight Championship: Demetrious Johnson © (124.5) vs. Chris Cariaso (124.5) (fifth defense) - Johnson, SUB (kimura), R2 (2:29)

Donald Cerrone (155) vs. Eddie Alvarez (155) - Cerrone, DEC (unanimous)

Dustin Poirier (145.5) vs. Conor McGregor (146) - McGregor, TKO (strikes), R1 (1:46)

Tim Kennedy (185) vs. Yoel Romero (185) - Romero, TKO (punches), R3 (0:58)

Cat Zingano (135) vs. Amanda Nunes (135) - Zingano, TKO (strikes), R3 (1:21)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:

Dominick Cruz (134) vs. Takeya Mizugaki (136) - Cruz, TKO (punches), R1 (1:01)

Jorge Masvidal (155) vs. James Krause (155) - Masvidal, DEC (unanimous)

Patrick Côté (170.5) vs. Stephen Thompson (170) - Thompson, DEC (unanimous)

John Howard (170) vs. Brian Ebersole (170.5) - Ebersole, DEC (split)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:

Jon Tuck (155) vs. Kevin Lee (155.5) - Lee, DEC (unanimous)

Manvel Gamburyan (135.5) vs. Cody Gibson (135.5) - Gamburyan, SUB (guillotine choke), R2 (4:56)

Event Bonuses ($50,000):

Performance of the Night: Dominick Cruz

Performance of the Night: Conor McGregor

Fight of the Night: Tim Kennedy vs. Yoel Romero

Attendance: 10,244

Gate: $2.4 million

Buyrate: 205,000

Cancelled Bouts:

Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson - Injury to Gustafsson (Torn Meniscus)

Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Donald Cerrone - Injury to Nurmagomedov (Torn Meniscus)

Bobby Green vs. Jorge Masvidal - Both Fighters Moved to Another Bout on Card

Jon Jones vs. Daniel Cormier - Injury to Jones (Torn Meniscus)

Donald Cerrone vs. Bobby Green - Cerrone Moved to Another Bout on Card

a buddy is a big fan of "manvel the anvil" so that should be fun.

tuck/lee i dont care about whatsoever.

i always root for Ebersol because i dig the chest hair arrow.

and Wonderboy can be a great fighter. i keep waiting for him to reach his potential tuat was hyped early in his career. some day.

not that any of these are guaranteed to be amazing, but sometimes its just about having a connection.

Cerrone vs Melendez/Pettis winner.

Umm. Yeah about that. There is a this guy named Rafael dos Anjos. He sort of beat Cerrone, then finished Benson Henderson. 

But then there is this other guy named Khabib, who suplexed that dude all over the place. 

Good card overall.

Sucks Eddie underperformed. I was really looking for him to finally make his debut. I thought he would beat Cowboy and become a contender in the division.

No one at 155 lbs. deserves a title shot more than Khabib.

I'm guessing Mighty Mouse gets Dodson again and maybe Lineker afterwards if he beats McCall.

Cat just did a Jake Roberts level DDT.

came in here to say this. Cat Zingano with the move of the night.

also, fuck Yoel Romero and his corner for that shit. the fight should've been stopped if he refused to fight when the round should've started.

• Like 1

Cerrone vs Melendez/Pettis winner.

Umm. Yeah about that. There is a this guy named Rafael dos Anjos. He sort of beat Cerrone, then finished Benson Henderson. 

But then there is this other guy named Khabib, who suplexed that dude all over the place. 

OK and then Dos Anjos lost to Nurmagomedov.  And then Cerrone beat Eddie Alvarez.

Kennedy and Romero interaction backstage after the fight: https://vine.co/v/OZDmEI1XXgI

Kennedy's already pushing for the NAC to do something about the fight: NAC 467.728 If a combatant fails or refuses to resume competing when the bell sounds...the referee shall award a decision of TKO

Sucks Eddie underperformed. I was really looking for him to finally make his debut. I thought he would beat Cowboy and become a contender in the division.

I don't even think Eddie underperformed. Very few fighters turn the pressure up like Donald Cerrone. In WEC and against Nate, Cerrone was sometimes too tentative much to his detriment. But if you don't constantly throw offense back at him, he will light you as the fight goes on. That's what happened tonight. Alvarez is a good offensive fighter and can put the coffin nails in when he has you hurt, but he doesn't have like all time great offensive output. Plus, he doesn't have this momentous wrestling advantage over a lot of the top guys in the division. He was in tough tonight no matter how you slice it.

• Like 1

If I was security, I probably would've avoided letting them get that close with each other.

Kennedy probably has a legit case to get this overturned.  

Just realized this was in Nevada and McCarthy was ref again.  I realize that McCarthy is one of the most respected refs in the sport, but he's made iffy calls before.  I think he and the commission bungled that in the third round, but it's not Romero's fault.  It is the fault of McCarthy and the commission officials. 

Kennedy is one of the whiniest fighters of all time, he will not live this one down.  

Demetrious Johnson is one of the best fighters on the planet and does not get the respect he deserves.

Great performance for Cerrone.

Outstanding performance for Zingano and weathering a tough early storm.  Loved her doing a DDT and a verticle suplex in the fight.  I really hope she gets a fight with Ronda.  I say hope because look at the rate challengers and champions get hurt these days.  Its ridiculous.  

I don't even think Eddie underperformed. Very few fighters turn the pressure up like Donald Cerrone. In WEC and against Nate, Cerrone was sometimes too tentative much to his detriment. But if you don't constantly throw offense back at him, he will light you as the fight goes on. That's what happened tonight. Alvarez is a good offensive fighter and can put the coffin nails in when he has you hurt, but he doesn't have like all time great offensive output. Plus, he doesn't have this momentous wrestling advantage over a lot of the top guys in the division. He was in tough tonight no matter how you slice it.

Cerrone is one of the best most aggressive and tough fighters in the division.  He has his losses but they are against the very best and most elite in the division.  He may not ever get to the title, but he will be one of the toughest fights for anyone at lightweight.  Even in the fight with Diaz, he managed to mess him up with leg kicks.

I gotta say..... Romero isn't in the wrong at all. Kevin Iole confirmed that the inspector told him to stay there cause he need to be wiped down, if it's anybody's fault it's partially Romero's corner, but the majority is Big John and the commission. Win shouldn't be overturned. Also, It's sour grapes. If Kennedy was so disgusted with this, he shouldn't have fought that third round...

Edit.... And Dana just confirmed at the presser it was a UFC cutman who put the Vaseline on Romero's face. So, It's not even his corner's fault one bit. 

• Like 1